What sane person moves to Florida?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I wish you could come visit. I'm not sure where you have gotten your view of how things are in Red states, but mostly things are pretty chill. If you are ever out this way, let me know and I will show you around. I think we would actually get along even though we tend to disagree on some things.

Yeah, my views are probably fairly skewed and limited by the media, and I wouldn't say it's just the left-wing media (not saying you would either). Even on right-wing media there's no shortage of coverage of unhinged people on the right. The difference is they support the reason they are unhinged and think it's justified. The left sees them more as a zombie horde militia.

The media make a buck by covering extremes, so it s/b no surprise we all get a skewed idea of what somebody else from somewhere else might consider "normal". What we don't usually learn is that people from wherever that is don't think extremes are normal either. But we still buy the papers or look at them over someone's shoulder on the train... and read about their 15 seconds of fame when some Tweet or Facebook post goes viral (and of course is then picked up by established media as well).

What I don't like is how we all get sucked into figuring "liberals" or "right wingers" are so different in hopes and dreams and so in conduct of daily life towards realizing them. Our speech patterns in social media battles are different, of course, but aside from pre-amped public disagreements, we tend not to be quite so dismissive of each other in real life.

I've seen that every time I show up at a potluck dinner in this tiny unincorporated village. Half the village is retired farmers, half more urban people who bought a seasonal residence or fixer-upper and ended up retiring here.

Our politics are way different, and that becomes apparent at the edges of those social gatherings, if anyone is dumb enough to mention any of the buzzwords that both major political parties have brought us nearly or actually to blows over during the past half century or so.

But we were not born with a desire to redefine and devalue commentary of others in a room. And somehow our congress critters and assemblymen have often managed to solve problems in bipartisan fashion by listening to all the constituents and seeking feasible answers to their (sometimes angry) questions and challenges.

It's a dirty little secret though that nowadays the party leaders only cut this bipartisan effort any slack when the district in question is up for grabs. If it's all red or all blue then the very idea of working across the aisle with a peer in some other district (and of the other major party) is grounds for some party honcho or wannabe climber to suggest that a primary race might be next up. And like little parrots, we ordinary Americans see our political leaders behave this way and then emulate it, at least in social media and increasingly in public behavior as well.

If might help if we just quit subscribing to the idea from on high that everything (and everyone) can be condensed to some sharp phrase in the set of all buzzwords coined for use in campaign ads. It would be a tough slog though, because it's years and years we've been conditioned to stereotype each other and our respective ideas about how government should work. I know that as a lefty I do fall into making stereotypes of the right that don't fit all my right-leaning friends around here. It's reactive and a little lazy. My excuse is that I'm pushing back against those on the right who stereotype behavior of lefties. I know I have counterparts on the right as well!

The problem is that anyone suggesting we could all just get along --at least in more civil dialogue-- often gets consigned to the "centrist" slot in politics, whether in fact they're an old fashioned conservative or a new left progressive. I find that tragic, because talking with each other irrespective of labels (and listening) is the only way political battles get ended without good ideas (and sometimes people) ending up dead for no good reason.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I believe we discussed this over at PRSI. :)

Yeah but now šŸ˜žwe can't prove or disprove anything from over there.

The only really great thing about PRSI being gone from that other place is that we can all now remember with renewed assurance that we won every debate in which we engaged. Any screen grabs of old posts to the contrary are surely PhotoShopped or outright fakes... šŸ™ƒ

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
West Virginia. :) Hence why many of the Manchin posts are directed at me. Like I voted for him. Oh wait, I did. ;)
Any clue why he calls himself a Democrat, especially with obliviousness to such a fundamental threat to Democracy in this country in the face of a pack of Republicans who have broken bad? Heā€˜s functioning as their sleeper agent. My guess as a replacement for Senator Byrd heā€˜s just appropriated the Demicrat label and Is a DINO.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Any clue why he calls himself a Democrat, especially with obliviousness to such a fundamental threat to Democracy in this country in the face of a pack of Republicans who have broken bad? Heā€˜s functioning as their sleeper agent. My guess as a replacement for Senator Byrd heā€˜s just appropriated the Demicrat label and Is a DINO.

Family history. His uncle was SOS for what seemed like decades. Then he rose up through the Democratic machine back when WV was heavily democratic. But he, and most WV Democrats were socially and fiscally more conservative than Dems in other states. They were Dems because of the unions. So he isn't really any more conservative than he ever was.

Now I will say this, he was a great Governor. He didn't care who had a good idea if it was a good idea. He wanted both sides to work together and come up with something they both could live with. He wants DC to be that way as well, but is not really getting much traction with that.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I now know a Fox loving anti-vaxxer moving from CA to FL.

A little background. When his parents passed away he inherited some money which he invested in rental properties back before the real estate boom. When that happened he accordingly jacked up the rents, bought more rental properties, and quit his day job. Rinse and repeat. For the past 2 decades he has been living entirely off rental property income and in doing so he was able to build a custom house in the Santa Cruz hills with an ocean view. The west facing wall is a 2 story plate of glass. The master bedroom upstairs goes about half the distance over the living room and instead of a west facing wall thereā€™s a glass half wall so from his bedroom he can overlook the living room and the 2 story glass wall with the ocean view. It also has a 3 car garage with each spot having a hydraulic lift, so technically a 6 car garage. He bought a $600,000 racing car which he got bored with and sold. He used that sale money to buy a 50' yacht.

He hates taxes and feels poor people and illegal immigrants are parasites. So while I canā€™t claim heā€™s moving to Florida entirely because of Covid, he certainly ticks a lot of other boxes that would make him want to call Florida home. Heā€™s become the quintessential ā€œThis state has allowed me to become insanely rich with little effort. Fuck this state.ā€ Californian.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Well, I now know a Fox loving anti-vaxxer moving from CA to FL.

A little background. When his parents passed away he inherited some money which he invested in rental properties back before the real estate boom. When that happened he accordingly jacked up the rents, bought more rental properties, and quit his day job. Rinse and repeat. For the past 2 decades he has been living entirely off rental property income and in doing so he was able to build a custom house in the Santa Cruz hills with an ocean view. The west facing wall is a 2 story plate of glass. The master bedroom upstairs goes about half the distance over the living room and instead of a west facing wall thereā€™s a glass half wall so from his bedroom he can overlook the living room and the 2 story glass wall with the ocean view. It also has a 3 car garage with each spot having a hydraulic lift, so technically a 6 car garage. He bought a $600,000 racing car which he got bored with and sold. He used that sale money to buy a 50' yacht.

He hates taxes and feels poor people and illegal immigrants are parasites. So while I canā€™t claim heā€™s moving to Florida entirely because of Covid, he certainly ticks a lot of other boxes that would make him want to call Florida home. Heā€™s become the quintessential ā€œThis state has allowed me to become insanely rich with little effort. Fuck this state.ā€ Californian.

Maybe we should start a thread "What sane person moves to CommieFornia" LOL

In all seriousness, gotta love someone that inherited money to get his wealth, then looks down on others. Those are the worse type of people. I call him the exception to the rule. Most people aren't moving states because of Covid/Mask rules. He has the wealth to make the move easily.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Maybe we should start a thread "What sane person moves to CommieFornia" LOL

In all seriousness, gotta love someone that inherited money to get his wealth, then looks down on others. Those are the worse type of people. I call him the exception to the rule. Most people aren't moving states because of Covid/Mask rules. He has the wealth to make the move easily.
And clearly you would lead that charge with your disdain for the state but I shouldn't have to remind you of what an absolute shit hole Texas is so it's a little disingenuous.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
And clearly you would lead that charge with your disdain for the state but I shouldn't have to remind you of what an absolute shit hole Texas is so it's a little disingenuous.

I went to Texas here a couple years back. It wasn't bad.

Lots of cow skulls.

Top Bottom
1 2