What Trump supporters quickly forgot

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Now that Republicans don't need to pretend that they're not racist, xenophobic, hostile to science, etc... will we see more candidates who openly embrace such stances? When you look at the Trump phenomenon and the Brexit situation, you can see that the world is a long ways away from the ideals of those like MLK Jr. and Gandhi.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now that Republicans don't need to pretend that they're not racist, xenophobic, hostile to science, etc... will we see more candidates who openly embrace such stances? When you look at the Trump phenomenon and the Brexit situation, you can see that the world is a long ways away from the ideals of those like MLK Jr. and Gandhi.
I’d think so. George Carlin once said everyone needs to keep fucking each other until we’re all the same color. How long would that take? Another few thousand years? Racism is so easily leveraged by politicians/wannabe cult leaders. Trump is flat out fuckin stupid and he did it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I’d think so. George Carlin once said everyone needs to keep fucking each other until we’re all the same color. How long would that take? Another few thousand years? Racism is so easily leveraged by politicians/wannabe cult leaders. Trump is flat out fuckin stupid and he did it.
I honestly believe Hitler could win in America today as long as he demonized Mexicans instead of Jews. Look at the response from Trump’s followers when he took babies away from their mothers. They would have no problem with Mexicans being taken to concentration camps whatsoever.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I honestly believe Hitler could win in America today as long as he demonized Mexicans instead of Jews. Look at the response from Trump’s followers when he took babies away from their mothers. They would have no problem with Mexicans being taken to concentration camps whatsoever.
I imagine Hitler could come up with something better than “I’m the least racist person ever.”

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Slowly but surely.

It’s one of the things I always think about when watching sci-fi movies. Why do people still look different? Surely by the year 3000 we will have melted into some similar looking beings.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I have no idea how well the tv series portrays this. I've only read the books.

It's a topic regularly broached, but obviously there's only so much the showrunners can do, even with their sky high effects budget. While they do have scenes of Belter's being physically unable to withstand Earth's gravity well, don't expect to see a lot of 7 foot tall super skinny people running around.

U

User.45

The Expanse series has an interesting take on this. In their future humanity, as a species, has managed to get over race. Instead the racist attitudes are now between people born in Earth-like gravity and those born in zero gravity. Fascinating stuff. I have no idea how well the tv series portrays this. I've only read the books.
What I like about Expanse is that it's really based on the Conquest of the New World. The Belters (the populace living in the asteroid belt, make a living mining the asteroids, and exploited by the "Old World" - Earth) is like the West Indies with a mixed populace and language with roots from Natives, Africans, Europeans, Indians. Mars is North America, USA in particular, a technocratic nation powerful enough to claim its independence from Earth.

The most fascinating thing I see in the story is how they describe the fall of Mars (USA) when an entirely new frontier opens, and the barren promise land is just surpassed by another New World. Martian exceptionalism is fucked.

U

User.45

The Expanse series has an interesting take on this. In their future humanity, as a species, has managed to get over race. Instead the racist attitudes are now between people born in Earth-like gravity and those born in zero gravity. Fascinating stuff. I have no idea how well the tv series portrays this. I've only read the books.
Rereading your comment after I read Caste, I'll say in Expanse, a space-faring human race will have *better characteristics to define and uphold the Caste system than what we today consider race.

*meaning more convenient for future situation

Top Bottom
1 2