What's up with the attack on the US Post Office?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
is the front of your hand not softer? almost girlie like?
anyways, I recall that at one time the post office was more than self sufficient, I did not know what led to their current situation.

The front of my hand is the loving side, yeah.

But anyway, the Republicans have been trying to sink the USPS to better support UPS and Fed-Ex for at least a couple of decades now. The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, which requires the USPS to set aside $75-$100 billion in pensions for current and future employees, did a lot to hobble it.

That said, the PAEA isn't the ONLY reason the post office is having trouble with solvency, but it is one of the primary contributors to the problem.

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
The front of my hand is the loving side, yeah.

But anyway, the Republicans have been trying to sink the USPS to better support UPS and Fed-Ex for at least a couple of decades now. The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, which requires the USPS to set aside $75-$100 billion in pensions for current and future employees, did a lot to hobble it.

That said, the PAEA isn't the ONLY reason the post office is having trouble with solvency, but it is one of the primary contributors to the problem.
post office should have raised their prices to compensate.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I have seen some frantic e-mails on the subject and some other stuff that urges people to make sure they get their ballots in the mail with weeks of lead-time. Which is a situation that could come back to bite Individual-ONE in the soft parts.

Sly politicians have long relied on the "October Surprise" to kneecap their opponent in the waning days of the campaign (cf, Comey's Weiner e-mail investigation). But if concerned voters intend on marking and sending in their ballots as early as possible, the entire timeframe of the election may get so skewed that any late-fielded assault is likely to fizzle. It will be like trying to play football on wet, sloppy mud.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have seen some frantic e-mails on the subject and some other stuff that urges people to make sure they get their ballots in the mail with weeks of lead-time. Which is a situation that could come back to bite Individual-ONE in the soft parts.

Sly politicians have long relied on the "October Surprise" to kneecap their opponent in the waning days of the campaign (cf, Comey's Weiner e-mail investigation). But if concerned voters intend on marking and sending in their ballots as early as possible, the entire timeframe of the election may get so skewed that any late-fielded assault is likely to fizzle. It will be like trying to play football on wet, sloppy mud.
And that's a contest Trump would love to have. I'm hoping it will be enough of a blowout that it won't come to that.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

If only.

I’ve never had access to early voting, but I often wonder if I would take advantage of it unless it were only a few days.

Still waiting for the investigation into Burisma. Although, if they find anything I can’t imagine them managing to keep it a secret until October.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
NBC this evening said that the Inspector General for USPS sent a letter to 46 of the 50 states urging them to get out their absentee ballots early or they can't be sure they will be counted in time for the election. :oops:

My wife and I sent out our applications for ballots two days ago. I'm gonna be keeping an eye on how long they take to get here. If it's weeks, I just may have to stand in line. I don't want to, but I'll be damned if I'll let Donald Trump take my vote away.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
My wife and I sent out our applications for ballots two days ago. I'm gonna be keeping an eye on how long they take to get here. If it's weeks, I just may have to stand in line. I don't want to, but I'll be damned if I'll let Donald Trump take my vote away.
Thing is, if you apply for an absentee ballot, I think that means your name is struck from the list at the polling place, in order to prevent possible vote duplication, so you could find yourself in a twilight booth. Alternately, you should find out if you can hand-deliver your marked absentee ballot to the county registrar's office or some other place, just to be safe.

I live in a mail-in-only voting state, so I am covered: I have never mailed my ballot in, because we have these ballot drops (there is one at the library, several miles from here and another at the park&ride that is a little closer. Those get picked up on election day by poll workers, so I am fairly confident that mine does get to where it needs to go on time.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I did check those things out.

In Ohio if you request an absentee ballot but then vote in person, your ballot will be considered provisional.

During the primary, our ballots arrived late enough that we didn't trust them to the mail. My wife and I drove to the county election office and delivered them by hand.

Also in Ohio, they just forbade any drop boxes other than the ones at the actual Board of Elections. 😡

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Rachel Maddow is just now reporting that TPTB are going to stop removing mailboxes because of the pushback they’re getting. More if I can find it.
I have it recorded but I'm going to be watching. I have no doubt she has her sources, she's always been reliable.

Top Bottom
1 2