What's up with the attack on the US Post Office?

Evelyn

Reaction score
It’s a service. It doesn’t have to make money. It’s only losing money because it has to set aside retirement money for people who have yet to even apply to work for them.
So if they do manage the total destruction of the USPS will that excess retirement money go to DeJoy's UPS and Fedex? Into DeJoy's pocket directly?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So if they do manage the total destruction of the USPS will that excess retirement money go to DeJoy's UPS and Fedex? Into DeJoy's pocket directly?

Of course! I hadn’t even thought of that. Just more self-dealing.

Can't talk about the specific issue, but replacing mailboxes is not uncommon at all and it might take days.

Nobody seems to know if they will be replaced.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Nobody seems to know if they will be replaced.

Well, give 'em time! My understanding is that they collect mailboxes, then use pieces from those in worst shape to repair those that are in good shape, then they put them back (depending on mail traffic they might consolidate them or they might keep the same # of mail boxes).

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, give 'em time! My understanding is that they collect mailboxes, then use pieces from those in worst shape to repair those that are in good shape, then they put them back (depending on mail traffic they might consolidate them or they might keep the same # of mail boxes).

Willing to make a little side wager? ;) If the mailboxes are replaced, I’ll change my avatar to one of your choosing for two weeks. If they stay gone, you change to a Biden Harris 2020 avatar for the same two weeks.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Willing to make a little side wager? ;) If the mailboxes are replaced, I’ll change my avatar to one of your choosing for two weeks. If they stay gone, you change to a Biden Harris 2020 avatar for the same two weeks.

I would accept, but I have no other source other than the dude that initially wrote the tweet... so he might disappear forever.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
This is just what it looks like: a Trump appointee doing a slash-and-burn on the Post Office in hopes of stealing the election.

In a memo to employees, DeJoy wrote that as a result, “if we cannot deliver all the mail due to call offs or shortage of people and you have no other help, the mail will not go out."...
Philip Rubio, a history professor at North Carolina A&T University and a former letter carrier, told USA TODAY in regards to these changes, "The USPS is not a trucking firm. The $200 million transportation cost savings that DeJoy claims will result from his policies will be minimal, and they will come at the expense of universal service, which is what the USPS does."
DeJoy also dramatically restructured the organization, removing or reassigning nearly two dozen agency leaders, including displacing the two top executives who oversaw day-to-day operations.
He also banned employees from making extra trips to deliver mail, implemented a hiring freeze and requested "early retirement authority" for nonunion employees.
It was also reported this week that the ⁦USPS is removing some mail sorting machines from its facilities around the country without any official explanation.
These are the same machines that would be tasked with sorting mail-in ballots...
Despite calls for his resignation, DeJoy has pledged more sweeping changes.
God only knows what else he can do. Maybe send in every postal truck in the US for “service maintenance” for a few months?

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
It’s a service. It doesn’t have to make money. It’s only losing money because it has to set aside retirement money for people who have yet to even apply to work for them.
should be a self sufficient service, not a drain on tax payers.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
should be a self sufficient service, not a drain on tax payers.

It was self sufficient, up until the moment the Republicans made it necessary for them to put aside money for their employees pensions and healthcare plan 75 years in advance.

You can't even argue it. There's a specific moment in time when the USPS was financially solvent, then was fucked the very next day.

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
It was self sufficient, up until the moment the Republicans made it necessary for them to put aside money for their employees pensions and healthcare plan 75 years in advance.

You can't even argue it. There's a specific moment in time when the USPS was financially solvent, then was fucked the very next day.
I CAN ARGUE IT, I MIGHT be "wrong" but you better bet I CAN argue it :p

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
SHUT YOUR LYING MOUF, LEST I WHALE ON YOUR FACE WITH THE BACK OF MY HAND!

...you know, this is really nice. I like it here.
is the front of your hand not softer? almost girlie like?
anyways, I recall that at one time the post office was more than self sufficient, I did not know what led to their current situation.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
is the front of your hand not softer? almost girlie like?
anyways, I recall that at one time the post office was more than self sufficient, I did not know what led to their current situation.

Easy. They were mandated to provide retirement for employees that don’t even work there yet.

Top Bottom
1 2