Which will cause more protests, riots, fisticuffs, and other uncivilized behavior?

A greater number of people will lose their shit when

• Biden wins

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Trump wins

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Crazy Rich Asians 2: Electric Boogaloo gets released

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Right now, I'd say Trump's primary goal isn't to prevent people from voting specifically, but to spread enough FUD about the process to justify him pitching a fit if he loses in November.
But it disaffects people's trust in the system and in turn can result in them not voting at all.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You see, this is why I hate talking about domestic policy in general, and party politics in general. I share my ideas, thoughts, and I am immediately labeled one way or another (including being called a "racist" yesterday, which is a first).

So let me frame this: I'm not piling on, I only play a psychologist on TV - and if as a result of this, you want to come at me 'bro, I welcome it, I'm scrappy ... :D

OK, whew, deep breath, so here's the thing, and I'll use a different MR member to frame this post, no names (I won't confirm/deny guesses, but it's not you), he contributes long posts, he's educated, seems pretty bright, reasonably articulate and says all the following:

I don't support Trump.
I'm not a Republican.
I'm not a Democrat.

... though he does he punctuates that with:

I don't vote (so that's a slightly less applicable model, but I'll carry on)

He seems to be highly motivated to not be seen as "taking a side", in fact, he often prefaces his posts with just that, and goes so far as to suggest he's not even part of the process (as a non-voter), so why would he "support X". He obviously attributes a great deal of "intellectual value" to not supporting a specific party.

The few posts he might start as a positive perspective of a left policy, __always__ have a "but", there's always some caveat that tips his perspective to clearly right leaning ideologies, and effectively invalidates the slightly positive comment about left policies.

I'd never use the 'like' reactions as any form of serious analysis, but I do find it funny, that this user almost NEVER receives any upvotes from anyone other than the standard, extreme right wing loud mouthed cabal (whose names we all certainly know ...), and they very often like his posts.

To be clear, the issue people have, is when they feel it's a disingenuous "I don't support X", when clearly, the "data" shows otherwise. It actually teeters into borderline insulting territory, i.e., if someone claims ALL their perspectives purely objective measures of some policy as seen through a non-partisan lens of intellect, that's sort of suggests someone else's rebuttal is from a position of intellectual inferiority, aka, the aforementioned are on their High Horse ...

Again, not you, just using some conversations we've had about this particular user to offer a perspective.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
But it disaffects people's trust in the system and in turn can result in them not voting at all.

Possible, but if Trump's objective is that one he's making a bad evaluation mistake as he would be listened to mostly by his hard-core voters.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

We live in America. Rarely ever is anyone quiet when they feel they're being disenfranchised. It's more apt to say that it turns them to protest, which also plays in Trump's favor, since he can play the Law and Order card in response.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
So let me frame this: I'm not piling on, I only play a psychologist on TV - and if as a result of this, you want to come at me 'bro, I welcome it, I'm scrappy ... :D

OK, whew, deep breath, so here's the thing, and I'll use a different MR member to frame this post, no names (I won't confirm/deny guesses, but it's not you), he contributes long posts, he's educated, seems pretty bright, reasonably articulate and says all the following:

I don't support Trump.
I'm not a Republican.
I'm not a Democrat.

... though he does he punctuates that with:

I don't vote (so that's a slightly less applicable model, but I'll carry on)

He seems to be highly motivated to not be seen as "taking a side", in fact, he often prefaces his posts with just that, and goes so far as to suggest he's not even part of the process (as a non-voter), so why would he "support X". He obviously attributes a great deal of "intellectual value" to not supporting a specific party.

The few posts he might start as a positive perspective of a left policy, __always__ have a "but", there's always some caveat that tips his perspective to clearly right leaning ideologies, and effectively invalidates the slightly positive comment about left policies.

I'd never use the 'like' reactions as any form of serious analysis, but I do find it funny, that this user almost NEVER receives any upvotes from anyone other than the standard, extreme right wing loud mouthed cabal (whose names we all certainly know ...), and they very often like his posts.

To be clear, the issue people have, is when they feel it's a disingenuous "I don't support X", when clearly, the "data" shows otherwise. It actually teeters into borderline insulting territory, i.e., if someone claims ALL their perspectives purely objective measures of some policy as seen through a non-partisan lens of intellect, that's sort of suggests someone else's rebuttal is from a position of intellectual inferiority, aka, the aforementioned are on their High Horse ...

Again, not you, just using some conversations we've had about this particular user to offer a perspective.

It's not me because everyone likes me on MR :)

I think that the difference lies in being a Trump supporter, which I see as being a supporter of him as a person, and supporting Trump as in the policies of his administration. If you ask me if I am supporting the actions of this Administration, I'd say that in general yes. But honestly, I don't care about Trump. He can have a heart attack today, he can resign, he can lose the elections, I am not going to lose sleep over it (however, we'd see less awful tweets). If Biden is elected, I hope to agree with - which will vastly depend on the circumstances rather than pure ideology - many of his policies (which do not necessarily reflect the electoral promises); if that happens, I'll be someone that supports Biden.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Possible, but if Trump's objective is that one he's making a bad evaluation mistake as he would be listened to mostly by his hard-core voters.

It is a weird situation for the Republicans in general, since Trump is out there casting doubt on voting by mail because it's an alleged a ploy for the Democrats to rig the system against him, and to go vote in person at the booths to combat it, while everyone else is well aware of how important mail in votes are to the party in general.

Hell, nearly 1/3rd of all votes cast in 2016 were done by mail, and the Republicans have pushed for absentee votes heavily in previous elections. Given that they're the party with the lions share of the older half of the population, it obviously should be pretty damn important to them.

It's lead to all these hilariously awkward situations where the talking heads have to disagree with Trump while looking like they're agreeing with him.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
It is a weird situation for the Republicans in general, since Trump is out there casting doubt on voting by mail because it's an alleged a ploy for the Democrats to rig the system against him, and to go vote in person at the booths to combat it, while everyone else is well aware of how important mail in votes are to the party in general.

Hell, nearly 1/3rd of all votes cast in 2016 were done by mail, and the Republicans have pushed for absentee votes heavily in previous elections. Given that they're the party with the lions share of the older half of the population, it obviously should be pretty damn important to them.

It's lead to all these hilariously awkward situations where the talking heads have to disagree with Trump while looking like they're agreeing with him.

It is very awkward and a big miscalculation. Many rural voters and elder individuals lean right.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's not me because everyone likes me on MR :)

I think that the difference lies in being a Trump supporter, which I see as being a supporter of him as a person, and supporting Trump as in the policies of his administration. If you ask me if I am supporting the actions of this Administration, I'd say that in general yes. But honestly, I don't care about Trump. He can have a heart attack today, he can resign, he can lose the elections, I am not going to lose sleep over it (however, we'd see less awful tweets). If Biden is elected, I hope to agree with - which will vastly depend on the circumstances rather than pure ideology - many of his policies (which do not necessarily reflect the electoral promises); if that happens, I'll be someone that supports Biden.

Well stated. And I agree with a lot of this. I think Trump is a mean person who knows how to get under people's skin. He's very good at this. I don't think he and I would have a lot in common if we met in person. I'd shake his hand just like I'd shake Obama's hand - I respect the office of the President. I didn't agree with Trump when he didn't wear a mask and take this virus seriously. But I've never really found someone I agree with 100%...

What you said - A+. Me too.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Saying you support or voted for Trump is social suicide these days.

Ever since I started voting - I've always hated the long lines at our polling places. They seemed needless and forced. Can't find a place to park, stand in line for hours (even if you take off work and go early), then use a small plastic booth with an ink blotting pen that doesn't work.

No. I switched to absentee ballot a long time ago. Been doing it for a long time and I am not going to change. My wife does this as well.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Saying you support or voted for Trump is social suicide these days.

Ever since I started voting - I've always hated the long lines at our polling places. They seemed needless and forced. Can't find a place to park, stand in line for hours (even if you take off work and go early), then use a small plastic booth with an ink blotting pen that doesn't work.

No. I switched to absentee ballot a long time ago. Been doing it for a long time and I am not going to change. My wife does this as well.

All states should have early voting, for sure. I am in TX and I never had to wait in line for more than 3 minutes.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Precisely. Now, if they asked me with whom I'd rather have coffee/beer/lunch with, I'd choose Obama x10 for the same reason I'd have a beer with Noam Chomsky (whose ideas are at the antipodes of mine).

Agreed. That's why I enjoyed reading PRSI for so many years. Reading the opinions of those who don't see the world the same way you do is FAR MORE INTERESTING than listening to an echo chamber of what I already know and agree with.

I liken it to Star Trek. You explore the unknown. I find great users like @Eric who has a different world view than mine to be the great unknown and far more interesting to me to explore. I'd rather spend my time reading what they have to say and maybe even try to talk with them.

Renzatic

Reaction score
What you said - A+. Me too.

To me, Trump's done so much shit that's crossed so many lines, and done so much to subvert our established norms, I find it difficult to watch more sane conservatives justify the creepy ass cult of personality bullshit that's risen around him just because he acts as an easy signature for the Republican policies forwarded to him from congress.

The whole thing is Faustian as fuck.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
To me, Trump's done so much shit that's crossed so many lines, and done so much to subvert our established norms, I find it difficult to watch more sane conservatives justify the creepy ass cult of personality bullshit that's risen around him just because he acts as an easy signature for the Republican policies forwarded to him from congress.

The whole thing is Faustian as fuck.

My view is, that's why he won right? Congress' low approval rating, how most politicians are so disconnected from the average " " American. It is scary how much influence people can have over others.

I've been screamed at by Trump2020 supporters just by driving by with a mask on. That was a shocker for me. lol.

Top Bottom
1 2