Whitey on the Moon

ronntaylor

Power User
Reaction score
Surprised no hackles about the title. I actually remember this song (and album) as a preteen. My aunt and uncle loved it and would play it often. Years later had a discussion about it as an undergrad WRT to Clintonism and neoliberal stupidity.

Thomas Veil

Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
I liked the song too. It had me thinking. It's a pretty blunt indictment of our priorities.

I know not everything in the world proceeds at the same pace. But in America our scientific achievements have far outpaced our sociological and moral ones. Black people...heck, poor struggling ones of any color...have every right to be bitter. And as we've learned over the past four years, we're a lot further behind than we thought we were.

PearsonX

Site Champ
Reaction score
Heard this at the end of the second episode of Lovecraft Country. From 1970, perfectly sums up Capitalism in under two minutes. Absolutely genius IMO.

It was featured prominently in First Man (a movie about Neil Armstrong) and it was an absolutely fantastic artistic decision!! It brought nuance to the topic. Some grown-up self criticism unusual for these movies.

PearsonX

Site Champ
Reaction score
I liked the song too. It had me thinking. It's a pretty blunt indictment of our priorities.

I know not everything in the world proceeds at the same pace. But in America our scientific achievements have far outpaced our sociological and moral ones. Black people...heck, poor struggling ones of any color...have every right to be bitter. And as we've learned over the past four years, we're a lot further behind than we thought we were.

I watched an episode of Cosmos today that covered how Carl Sagan supported the endeavor for space exploration. One thing that caught my eye is a featured sketch from Sagan mentioning V-2 the Nazi rocket terrorizing the world. So much ambivalence and inner conflict.

Top Bottom