COVID 19 WHO condemns wealthy country covid booster shots

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

I understand the moral dilemma but what am I as an individual in a wealthy country supposed to do about it, forgo the booster out of protest while risking my own health?

So the wealthy countries should spend the money to develop the vaccines, but then give them away to poor countries first?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
So the wealthy countries should spend the money to develop the vaccines, but then give them away to poor countries first?

I think you weren't around for my post asking why my tax dollars are paying for other countries' vaccines. In summary it didn't go over too well.

Tied to that is our refusal to waive the patents so other countries can manufacturer them themselves. I have to wonder if this is still linked to the WHO's current outrage.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I think you weren't around for my post asking why my tax dollars are paying for other countries' vaccines. In summary it didn't go over too well.

Tied to that is our refusal to waive the patents so other countries can manufacturer them themselves. I have to wonder if this is still linked to the WHO's current outrage.

I don't care so much about tax dollars paying to send the vaccines to other countries, but I still think the countries that developed them should have first dibs.

Caring what the WHO thinks is right up there with caring what the UN thinks.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Hmm... pretty sure almost everybody in America who WANTED 2 shots of a vaccine already got them. I fail to see how that is giving them “away to poor countries first”.....

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Hmm... pretty sure almost everybody in America who WANTED 2 shots of a vaccine already got them. I fail to see how that is giving them “away to poor countries first”.....

I am not the OP with that premise. Plus, now we are up to 3 shots.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm thinking we can afford it.

FLA testing site
5d94521f-74d2-4952-82b6-f4e5720111f8-WPB_112620_Daily_Clo_03.JPG

FLA vaccine site
Florida%20man%20waiting%20to%20get%20vaccinated.png

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The thing is, if the virus isn’t addressed on a global basis it will continue to mutate and spread. If that means giving vaccines to countries who can’t afford it, it’s for the global good. (Like wearing masks and washing hands.)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The thing is, if the virus isn’t addressed on a global basis it will continue to mutate and spread. If that means giving vaccines to countries who can’t afford it, it’s for the global good. (Like wearing masks and washing hands.)

There are a finite number of doses available. Does it matter on a global scale if the US gets them first or some country in Africa gets them first. The same number of people will be vaccinated.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There are a finite number of doses available. Does it matter on a global scale if the US gets them first or some country in Africa gets them first. The same number of people will be vaccinated.
Considering the number of people in the US who have refused to take the vaccine….

And no, there is not a finite amount of vaccine. It is being produced every day.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Considering the number of people in the US who have refused to take the vaccine….

And no, there is not a finite amount of vaccine. It is being produced every day.

Once everyone in the US that either wants one or is mandated to get one has gotten it, then by all means give it away.

JamesMike

Power User
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, some of the vaccines have a short shelf life. I certainly see no reason not to give them to other countries who could use them before they expire.

I will get my booster shot when available.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not only is AL last in vaccinations and first in pediatric Covid cases, but we are dumping more unused vaccine than anywhere else in the world.

By all means, send it where it’s wanted.

Top Bottom
1 2