Who is from where?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I thought Huntsville was kind of neat, but, well, I wouldn't want to live there! Everyone was very nice, though, and I love the soft Southern accents! The mall was a new one at that time, an outdoor one rather than an indoor one, and they had a lot of the same stores as we have up here but there were also different and interesting ones as well. The Apple store was the big attraction for us, though!

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
From the twin cities originally, my father migrated us to suburban Massachusetts. I spent a lot of my adulthood in southern NH and for the past few years moved into Boston MA (Center of the Universe).

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Chi-town here. Used to live in Edgewater and Uptown. Now we’re out in the South West Suburbs about 30 min outside of the city. I love it here, except for the weather. It’s a truly special town and I’ve been all over the world. It’s always good to come back home.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Chi-town here. Used to live in Edgewater and Uptown. Now we’re out in the South West Suburbs about 30 min outside of the city. I love it here, except for the weather. It’s a truly special town and I’ve been all over the world. It’s always good to come back home.
You mean the bay area?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Spent a few days there for the first time a few years back. Stayed at the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel. It was late summer and we did touristy bullshit including an architectural boat tour. I was sure that was going to be boring but, add a little booze and it was a good time.

U

User.45

From the twin cities originally, my father migrated us to suburban Massachusetts. I spent a lot of my adulthood in southern NH and for the past few years moved into Boston MA (Center of the Universe).
@iMi, Chicago is the center of the universe, but don't tell those Boston and DC folks:)

Chicago is my fav city of all time only second to Tokyo.

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
@iMi, Chicago is the center of the universe, but don't tell those Boston and DC folks:)

If I could, I’d live in Hong Kong. That is my favorite city in the world (thus far). I didn’t get to explore Tokyo much. I have layovers there all the time. One time we got to stay for a few hours. Food was amazing. That’s all I remember.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score

To be fair I haven't spent enough time in Chicago to give an opinion on it, but since I am originally from the Twin Cities I have to say the Bears suck (well maybe not right now). Some of my favorite cities have been New Orleans and San Francisco. Having just recently gone to Tokyo I would agree that it's in a top 20 list, but I enjoyed Kyoto more than Tokyo.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought Huntsville was kind of neat, but, well, I wouldn't want to live there! Everyone was very nice, though, and I love the soft Southern accents! The mall was a new one at that time, an outdoor one rather than an indoor one, and they had a lot of the same stores as we have up here but there were also different and interesting ones as well. The Apple store was the big attraction for us, though!
There’s one in B’ham and Huntsville. But both cities are twice as far from me as New Orleans.
If I could, I’d live in Hong Kong. That is my favorite city in the world (thus far). I didn’t get to explore Tokyo much. I have layovers there all the time. One time we got to stay for a few hours. Food was amazing. That’s all I remember.
I loved Hong Kong. Haven’t been there in many years. My favorite place from recent travels has to be PEI, Canada.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Love DC, NYC, SF (spent a ton of time in The Valley for professional reasons), we've knocked around moving to the DC area, Pittsburgh is a fun city (where the wife is from ...), and we've also talked about relocating to there, getting a condo downtown. Been to Chicago a few times, most major cities in California, lots of time in Atlanta, several trips to Savannah which is very cool, and funny enough, very recently, we've been reviewing real estate in that area. Love the Florida Keys too, we have a place down there we generally go to 2-3 times a year, seriously, I'd put the Keys up against any ocean location in the world, it's pretty spectacular - we go to Orlando, or did, specifically Universal Studios 3-5 times a year, maybe when all this sorts back out, Florida will feel better.

That being said, hit the brakes, we're growing increasingly sick of Florida. I'm a native, so is our little G, we live in a beautiful area 2 blocks from the ocean, 2 blocks from the intracoastal, we have a boat ramp about 6 blocks away, convenient grocery on this side of the intracoastal, I spent my life in and around the water, surfing, boating, I lifeguarded, I've been bumped by sharks, I bombed 25 foot seas during storms, I've lived a lot of life here, but we don't know if we can continue to deal with the vibe around here ...

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Love DC, NYC, SF (spent a ton of time in The Valley for professional reasons), we've knocked around moving to the DC area, Pittsburgh is a fun city (where the wife is from ...), and we've also talked about relocating to there, getting a condo downtown. Been to Chicago a few times, most major cities in California, lots of time in Atlanta, several trips to Savannah which is very cool, and funny enough, very recently, we've been reviewing real estate in that area. Love the Florida Keys too, we have a place down there we generally go to 2-3 times a year, seriously, I'd put the Keys up against any ocean location in the world, it's pretty spectacular - we go to Orlando, or did, specifically Universal Studios 3-5 times a year, maybe when all this sorts back out, Florida will feel better.

That being said, hit the brakes, we're growing increasingly sick of Florida. I'm a native, so is our little G, we live in a beautiful area 2 blocks from the ocean, 2 blocks from the intracoastal, we have a boat ramp about 6 blocks away, convenient grocery on this side of the intracoastal, I spent my life in and around the water, surfing, boating, I lifeguarded, I've been bumped by sharks, I bombed 25 foot seas during storms, I've lived a lot of life here, but we don't know if we can continue to deal with the vibe around here ...
You know I think the vibe around most coastal areas have changed a lot. The Cape has also changed a lot, from land being bought up by developers so they can make untouchable priced houses to rent out on AirBnB.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You know I think the vibe around most coastal areas have changed a lot. The Cape has also changed a lot, from land being bought up by developers so they can make untouchable priced houses to rent out on AirBnB.

Oh holy shit, the ABnB around here has gotten pretty bad. There's like 6-7 houses in the adjacent blocks that are rentals. We have a pretty tight community, so things generally get resolved if there is an issue - the house directly behind us is a short term rental, but it's not like a good "party house", so it's mostly families, the stay pretty quiet, and I guess at worst case, if they're bad, they're gone, vs. the possibility of a shitty permanent neighbor. There's been no activity for like 3 weeks, it's been pretty glorious.

Lots of construction around here too, before Covid, it was moving quickly towards more commercial, that got slowed up, but the two big new hotels are actually getting close to being done, which should add an extra level of clusterfuckery to even trying to go to the grocery store ...

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lots of construction around here too, before Covid, it was moving quickly towards more commercial, that got slowed up, but the two big new hotels are actually getting close to being done, which should add an extra level of clusterfuckery to even trying to go to the grocery store ...
When I go visit the fam, I always joke about Johnny Apartment Seed having visited your area. They seem to spring up overnight, and nowhere is safe.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Brooklyn, New York here! Except I've been living in Flushing, NY for the past 11+ years. It's as if we're living in China. Good & Bad things result: great food, especially the local Taiwanese "Palace House" and dumplings, dumplings, dumplings. But the language barrier can be oh-so-annoying. I recently rediscovered a translation app that has helped lately.

Have lived in NYC my entire life. Until the move to Queens, the vast majority of the time I've lived all over Brooklyn: Brownsville, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Flatbush, Prospect Heights, Midwood, then back to Bed-Stuy. More than 20 years ago I lived off-n-on with a bf in The Bronx (near Yankee Stadium) for about half a year. Before moving in with my (then bf, now) husband here in Flushing, I lived in Harlem for less than a year. It was great living near my uncle Ernest and just around the corner from Minton's, a legendary Jazz club. The only boro (borough for you non-NYers) that I'd never live in is Staten Island (AKA Stankin' Island). Too conservative, overly for Mango and too much of a headache traveling to other parts of the City. Flushing is enough of a headache, wouldn't want to toss in ferry rides or 2/3 buses and the subway.

And since we're an academic family: we live part of the year in Lexington, Virginia. Thankfully he's on sabbatical and we haven't been down there since early March due to the Pandemic. He's scheduled to return Fall 2021, but who knows. The in-laws really want to move back to Taiwan sooner than expected and we have no intention of keeping the house. Would sell it in a heartbeat and move to the City (Manhattan) or elsewhere should he find a tenured position at a great school. It would be a relief to not have to deal with confederate flags, neonazis and Civil War cosplay.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Brooklyn, New York here! Except I've been living in Flushing, NY for the past 11+ years. It's as if we're living in China. Good & Bad things result: great food, especially the local Taiwanese "Palace House" and dumplings, dumplings, dumplings. But the language barrier can be oh-so-annoying. I recently rediscovered a translation app that has helped lately.
My daughter is finally leaving Manhattan. She’s lived there forever, following her father’s dream of living in The City. I never wanted to live any closer than Rockland County. Anyhow, she’s moving to Florida in January, finally following her own dream of heat and sunshine. It will be nice having her live driving distance. I might get to see her more than once a year now. It will, however, be the first time she’s been this far from my son. He’s in Park Slope and has no reason to leave.

The closest I’ve been to Taiwan since moving back to the US is in NY. That’s the thing I miss most (the only thing?) about NY - the food.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
My daughter is finally leaving Manhattan. She’s lived there forever, following her father’s dream of living in The City. I never wanted to live any closer than Rockland County. Anyhow, she’s moving to Florida in January, finally following her own dream of heat and sunshine. It will be nice having her live driving distance. I might get to see her more than once a year now. It will, however, be the first time she’s been this far from my son. He’s in Park Slope and has no reason to leave.

The closest I’ve been to Taiwan since moving back to the US is in NY. That’s the thing I miss most (the only thing?) about NY - the food.

I miss NY for the food too.. but still also sometimes miss the ol' stomping grounds of the upper upper west side of Manhattan. Great mix of hustle and bustle with little and larger parks and cathedral grounds offering oases of almost rural settings for a break from it all. I'll probably never get that fondness for the city's sheer energy out of my heart and mind, even if in advancing age I'm (mostly) fond enough of the quiet side of things here in the sticks. The wonderfully random and true synergies of that diverse city neighborhood so made me laugh when I started hearing corporate execs and their lawyers on Wall Street use that word "synergy" to justify their oligarchy-building M&A maneuvers.

Top Bottom
1 2