Who should Politicians represent?

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Circling back to the OP,

It made me wonder who everyone thinks politicians should ultimately represent. Their constituents, their party or the nation as a whole?

We do not have a democracy for a reason. It simply does not work, as the Athenians discovered all those centuries back. In a pure democracy, the people vote for what the people want, which ends up being a sort of mob rule situation, in which practical, workable solutions to real problems tend to get pushed aside in favor of the easy, comfortable policies that often have knock-on effects that are more troublesome than doing the difficult thing. And, of course, minority voices get lost in the greater vote.

Political leaders function best when they are not bound by constituencies or parties. When they can make the hard choices, when they can reach the difficult compromises that no one really likes, rather than it being a matter of this side or that side "winning" the vote, as though it were some kind of sporting event.

Machiavelli was pretty well on the mark when he said that, fundamentally, every nation is a democracy, even if its configuration is not. It is just that the people->government response time may be slower in an autocracy. Hence, who the politicians answer to is rather a moot point, as they do ultimately answer to the people.

In a working system, the government must be the strongest element, because if they are not, the actual government is someone else. This is what we are dealing with right now (and, really, since 1789). The people/entities with the most money are the government – otherwise the oil companies would have been erased at least a decade ago, if not three, and copyright terms would be no more than the lifetime of the creator.

Money is the disfunction in our system, not the "will of the voters" or even the major parties. I have not seen strong evidence that there can an objective assessment of "good" vs "evil", but it does look to me like the defining component of "evil" is power, and money is the embodiment of power. Thus, a government ruled by money is inclined toward bad things.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I think this pretty much shows who some politicians believe they really represent

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1438230933434474496/

Standing up for the drug manufacturers in this ongoing battle might make even a tad of sense if the pharma companies these days were not all into outsourcing their truly innovative R&D -- essentially treating it almost like just another hunt for the cheapest materials-- and reserving more dough for buying out the smaller firms when they come up with something looks promising.

"Development by acquisition".... has a nice ring to it, eh? Well it does to shareholders anyway. The pharma behemoths can drop a project and everything and everyone associated with it at the flip of a pen to exercise fine print in a contract in a single board meeting... and likewise pick up the means for a blockbuster profit down the road if it looks like clinical trials of a small firm's innovative drug could provide a bonanza.

Quotes immediately below are from a pdf issued by the Congressional Budget Office in the spring of 2021:

Although total R&D spending by all drug companies has trended upward, small and large firms generally focus on different R&D activities.

Small companies not in PhRMA [the DC lobby group Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America] devote a greater share of their research to developing and testing new drugs, many of which are ultimately sold to larger firms...

By contrast, a greater portion of the R&D spending of larger drug companies (including those in PhRMA) is devoted to conducting clinical trials, developing incremental “line extension” improvements (such as new dosages or delivery systems, or new combinations of two or more existing drugs), and conducting postapproval testing for safety-monitoring or marketing purposes.

There are several possible explanations for the increase in the industry’s R&D intensity over the past eight years. It could reflect the increased role of small drug companies, which have little revenue and, therefore, high ratios of R&D spending to net revenues.

It could also indicate that the expected returns from investments in R&D have increased (if market conditions have changed) or that opportunities to develop new drugs have increased (if recent advances in science and technology have been particularly productive). Finally, it could reflect rising costs of R&D inputs, such as capital equipment and skilled labor. CBO has not evaluated the relative importance of those possibilities.

The lobby group PhRMA at present is headed up by current or former CEOs of three major pharmaceutical companies. In the recent past it has enhanced its public-facing advertising efforts (as more Americans have objected to steep drug pricing), e.g., it spent $68 million on marketing in 2017 compared to only $6.9 million the previous year:

All this spending went into a few wide-ranging campaigns. Go Boldly was the consumer-facing industry reputation effort, while Let’s Talk About Cost was designed to educate policymakers and the general public about drug prices.

Go Boldly launched in January 2017. It was meant to highlight the innovative research done by pharma companies as they develop medicines. The campaign included a TV spot alongside digital and social efforts.

Who paid for these campaigns? Well, the pharma lobby group's member companies, of course.

Not surprisingly, PhRMA’s lobbying spending also shot up in 2017 – to more than $128 million from $56 million in 2016, according to the tax documents. The group has been fighting tougher regulations on drug prices and rebates since President Trump took office...

“We believe it is critical to engage with stakeholders across the health care system to hear their perspectives and priorities,” Campbell said in the emailed statement. “PhRMA works with many organizations with which we have both agreements and disagreements on public policy issues, and believe this dialogue is essential to advancing solutions that are in the best interest of patients.”

PhRMA represents many of the largest pharma companies in the U.S. Its overall revenue in 2017 was more than $455 million, nearly twice its 2016 revenue.

So not all the outlay by the big drug companies is expended on acquisitions or the outsourcing of R&D efforts... quite a chunk of it is hell bent on shaping public policy to their own perceived requirements to make a profit for shareholders. And that effort includes trying to convince the general public that high drug prices are mostly the fault of "middlemen" not even associated to development and production of new drugs.

Yeah, middleman costs... like lobbying expenditures and dice-rolling acquisitions instead of R&D efforts, one might retort.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I think this pretty much shows who some politicians believe they really represent

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1438230933434474496/

Which is a good reason if we want to wade into UHC, let's start with prescription drugs. All the HI companies know how much they have priced in pharmaceutical costs, so they can just send it to the government. And as @SuperMatt noted in a different thread, most HC spending is on the elderly, so the government is already picking up that tab, so let's give it a run.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
this kinda fits here

Last month, Rep. Bill Post (R-Keizer) announced he will not be running for reelection in 2022. Today he announced his resignation from the Legislature … “When I first decided I would not run for re-election I had not made a decision about whether I would finish my term of office because I misunderstood the residency requirements for being in office,” said Rep. Post. “My intent was to be open with my constituents about my move out of state and the steps I’d be taking to continue to fulfill my duties for the rest of my term …"

I was not aware that I would have to actually live in my district.

Top Bottom
1 2