Why are gas prices so high (and why do they keep climbing)?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess we will see..........

I am old enough to remember when stations had to make adjustments to $1 gas. Some sold it in quarts and some in half gallons. But this was back before digital pumps.

There was a standup comedian who celebrated his 30 years in the business by revisiting his set from the early 80’s verbatim which included “Gas, $1 per gallon!! What is up with that?!?!?” and “It doesn’t get much worse than herpes!”

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’m hearing that on the right they are saying the left is using this opportunity to double down on their renewable energy platform and completely ignoring the current struggle. Could be happening, but I haven’t really seen it, or at least in any overwhelming and united message. It’s pretty much accepted that Democrat messaging sucks. But you can’t have it both ways. You can’t say they suck at messaging on helping people out but are loud and clear on screwing people or marginalizing their struggle.

"And when it comes to the gas prices, we're going through an incredible transition that is taking place that, God willing, when it's over, we'll be stronger and the world will be stronger and less reliant on fossil fuels when this is over," said Biden.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I’m hearing that on the right they are saying the left is using this opportunity to double down on their renewable energy platform and completely ignoring the current struggle. Could be happening, but I haven’t really seen it, or at least in any overwhelming and united message. It’s pretty much accepted that Democrat messaging sucks. But you can’t have it both ways. You can’t say they suck at messaging on helping people out but are loud and clear on screwing people or marginalizing their struggle.
When people bought 12MPG SUVs, they laughed at environmentalists who told them they were destroying the planet. Now that gas is expensive and it costs them $100 to drive to work, suddenly we’re all supposed to feel bad for them? Nah. They were willing to sacrifice the future of the planet so they could have their Cadillac Escalade. F their feelings.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
When people bought 12MPG SUVs, they laughed at environmentalists who told them they were destroying the planet. Now that gas is expensive and it costs them $100 to drive to work, suddenly we’re all supposed to feel bad for them? Nah. They were willing to sacrifice the future of the planet so they could have their Cadillac Escalade. F their feelings.

But at the same time, those of us who have to drive big trucks for work, are now charging you and everyone else more to cover our fuel costs. So you certainly showed us......... :oops:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If gas had been this expensive years ago, we might have moved faster towards electric vehicles, invested more in public transportation, etc.

Instead, people bought 10 MPG trucks when gas was cheap and drive in them, alone, to work.

Yeah, cheap gas and the desire for unnecessarily huge vehicles - and don't get me wrong, some people's life is helped by a 3-row SUV, some people need a truck that can tow 10,000 lbs - but give people a inch and they'll take a mile, so of course, in the country of excess, yep.

I'll be the first to admit, I never even considered gas mileage when I chose vehicles for this family, so I'm glad I reversed course.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
But at the same time, those of us who have to drive big trucks for work, are now charging you and everyone else more to cover our fuel costs. So you certainly showed us......... :oops:
My brother, who drives a big truck for his fishing guide business, is pretty upset too. In fact he told everyone who voted for Biden on his FB to unfriend him lol.

I don't mean to make light of it but the reality is this isn't just a Biden thing, it's global and would be happening if Trump were in office as well. It's also cyclical with a lot of extenuating factors so to say Obama, Trump, Biden, etc is the cause of a global crisis is sort of silly.

However, one question I have is whether or not it's in bad taste to slowly drive past those in line for gas at Costco in my Tesla while smiling and waving, even if it's friendly? 👋

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
My brother, who drives a big truck for his fishing guide business, is pretty upset too. In fact he told everyone who voted for Biden on his FB to unfriend him lol.

I don't mean to make light of it but the reality is this isn't just a Biden thing, it's global and would be happening if Trump were in office as well. It's also cyclical with a lot of extenuating factors so to say Obama, Trump, Biden, etc is the cause of a global crisis is sort of silly.

However, one question I have is whether or not it's in bad taste to slowly drive past those in line for gas at Costco in my Tesla while smiling and waving, even if it's friendly? 👋

I know it isn't. But a lot of voters are going to blame him and his recent comment won't help.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I know it isn't. But a lot of voters are going to blame him and his recent comment won't help.
Can't argue with this, it always falls on the current leadership. We're pretty much assured a sweeping Republican victory in the midterms, it will be interesting to see how 2024 turns out as well, no matter who is in charge I would hope things turn around by then.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Free healthcare and Justin Trudeau all sound great, but is it worth freezing your canucks off?

Oh man, the Christmas we spent in Montreal a few years ago was amazing, but holy hell, I'm not built for that kind of cold. Maybe I'd get used to it :D

All these celebs keep promising to go, but they never do. ;)

I'm not, not serious. We could do it, we have the type of business, not really any ties around this area, we work from home (and even that may be over soon :D). Some friends of ours said, "We're moving to Europe", they're a lot like us, sold their house and most of their stuff, away they went, that was 2 years ago.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I don't mean to make light of it but the reality is this isn't just a Biden thing, it's global and would be happening if Trump were in office as well.

I am not 100% sure about that. If Individual-ONE were in office, he would not be making threats of enforcing responsible behavior standards upon business, so business would not be making as much of an overt effort to make him look bad. This is an obvious power struggle between a center-right government and the financial leverage of the American oligarchy.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Free healthcare and Justin Trudeau all sound great, but is it worth freezing your canucks off?
I live in the lower 48, at a latitude farther north than about two-thirds of the population of Canada, and it rarely gets all that cold here. We had 5" of snow this winter, for about a week. 15°F is the coldest I have ever observed around here. So, some parts of Canada might not be all that bad.

23737.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2