Why are gas prices so high (and why do they keep climbing)?

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sorry about resurrecting this old thread. But I just got to rant....

Around the start of last week Feb 27th/28th I bought gas at 3.49 a gallon (MA). I know it varies on geography. Saturday 3/5 I had to fill up and was aghast at the 3.99 I paid at the same station. The very next day 3/6, because I had driven a lot on Saturday, I figured I would fill up again, to avoid that chore during work days. I swore a few time, as I drove by a few statios at 4.29 and settled for some cheap(ish) gas at 4.19 a gallon still swearing. Really am sick of these Instant price hikes, and general consumer fuckary. Actually test drove an EV vehicle yesterday afternoon.

/rant off

NT1440

Power User
Reaction score
Just like “inflation” (where companies are showing record *profits*), world events provide convenient cover for price gouging.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Sorry about resurrecting this old thread. But I just got to rant....

Around the start of last week Feb 27th/28th I bought gas at 3.49 a gallon (MA). I know it varies on geography. Saturday 3/5 I had to fill up and was aghast at the 3.99 I paid at the same station. The very next day 3/6, because I had driven a lot on Saturday, I figured I would fill up again, to avoid that chore during work days. I swore a few time, as I drove by a few statios at 4.29 and settled for some cheap(ish) gas at 4.19 a gallon still swearing. Really am sick of these Instant price hikes, and general consumer fuckary. Actually test drove an EV vehicle yesterday afternoon.

/rant off
Oh my heart bleeds for you Yanks. ;)

Currently in the UK Petrol is on average:

GBP1.47 / litre (6 days ago it hit GBP1.51/litre)

1 gallon = 4.546 litres

So… 1 gallon = GBP6.68 = USD8.85

Oh well, at least we've got great weather… err…

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
1646674094558.png

I took this picture in Pasadena, CA on Saturday. This is an Arco - known for having usually the lower / lowest prices in the area (sometimes comparable to Costco). Costco lines were the longest I've ever seen them.

I feel bad for people that have to drive a lot for/to work.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
View attachment 12272

I took this picture in Pasadena, CA on Saturday. This is an Arco - known for having usually the lower / lowest prices in the area (sometimes comparable to Costco). Costco lines were the longest I've ever seen them.

I feel bad for people that have to drive a lot for/to work.
If you really want to have fun smile and wave at them in the line as you slowly cruise by in your Tesla.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
But prices are rising across the nation. In conservative circles, the blame resides squarely with Biden, particularly his cancelation of the Keystone XL pipeline project and stricter regulation of drilling permits.

What do you think is causing the rise in gas prices? What have you read about the causes? Is it all Biden's fault?

Historically, a rise in gas prices has been followed by a war in the Middle East. So...keep an eye out for that.

What I've found interesting is that the same conservative circles blaming the current president for high gas prices, were also the ones praising the guy over in Russia for being a stronger leader. Now because of the actions of that "stronger leader" that conservatives used to fall all over themselves, oil companies are happily raising the price of oil because of the 'threat of a possible shortage'. Mind you it's a shortage they happily help create, because to produce more now would hurt the sudden windfall.

The commentary from conservative circles now?

Retconning their love for the guy in Russia & blaming the current president for the actions of that much loved guy by some conservatives. Gas prices? They haven't been as loud, except to mention some mystical power that the current president might suddenly have to affect prices that no previous president had.

I was also curious why lines were so long at my local Sam's Club, only to realize it was due to rising prices.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you really want to have fun smile and wave at them in the line as you slowly cruise by in your Tesla.
I was in my friend's BMW (we went on a little road trip (Lake Hughes / Lake Elizabeth then through Lancaster) - an amazing amount of solar panels out that way) - so didn't have that opportunity. $50 to fill that thing up half way (I helped). <cough>. It's very interesting riding along in an ICE vehicle after owning an EV for a few weeks.

I've done this, and they were super enthusiastic! They were shouting, I'm assuming something about "You're number one" since they were holding up one finger ...
LOL I can imagine... I always thought most Tesla owners were a special breed of ..... and now I'm one of them. lol.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
What I've found interesting is that the same conservative circles blaming the current president for high gas prices, were also the ones praising the guy over in Russia for being a stronger leader. Now because of the actions of that "stronger leader" that conservatives used to fall all over themselves, oil companies are happily raising the price of oil because of the 'threat of a possible shortage'. Mind you it's a shortage they happily help create, because to produce more now would hurt the sudden windfall.

The commentary from conservative circles now?

Retconning their love for the guy in Russia & blaming the current president for the actions of that much loved guy by some conservatives. Gas prices? They haven't been as loud, except to mention some mystical power that the current president might suddenly have to affect prices that no previous president had.

I was also curious why lines were so long at my local Sam's Club, only to realize it was due to rising prices.
Jen Psaki made a great argument about this the other day. She was asked about gas prices, the Keystone pipeline, etc. She told the reporter that there are thousands of approved permits, so they should ask the oil companies why they aren’t drilling in those already.

We know they can increase capacity, but they prefer windfall profits instead. Subsidizing the oil industry with even one penny is too much for them.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
My intent on this wasn't about the price in MA, because I know well that its uglier in other states, and god help you if you live in the EU. I was ranting over the significant jumps in a very short time, and full well knowing that its going to get worse. I just hate the choke hold the oil industry has on us, and cannot wait to piss on their graves when we are running 90% EV. Of course by then, we'll all be crying about electrical prices.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just hate the choke hold the oil industry has on us, and cannot wait to piss on their graves when we are running 90% EV. Of course by then, we'll all be crying about electrical prices.
This has occurred to me also, kind of like switching from cable to streaming. The idea is to keep from getting ripped off but somebody always comes for your $.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
This has occurred to me also, kind of like switching from cable to streaming. The idea is to keep from getting ripped off but somebody always comes for your $.
I guess the only thing to do, is invest in solar and battery storage. But that is a huge upfront cost, that I don't know if anyone has a breakdown when it starts paying for itself.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I guess the only thing to do, is invest in solar and battery storage. But that is a huge upfront cost, that I don't know if anyone has a breakdown when it starts paying for itself.
There are many deals where you pay monthly. That is how they get people to take the plunge and get panels on their roof.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I filled up at $3.50 this morning. It was around $2.89 a few weeks ago. I had to do a double take. I don't remember it ever being this high in TX.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I made the mistake on engaging with a HS classmate on FB about this. :eek:

She posted something about not wanting to hear any complaining about gas prices from people driving $70K trucks.

And I simply replied that I wasn't complaining, but simply passing on the costs to my clients. And things went downhill from there.

But my point is valid whether they wanted to acknowledge it or not. As gas prices rise, the cost of everything transported via a fossil fuel engine, will cost more. It might not tomorrow, or even next week. And some companies like our trash collection have fuel surcharges directly on their bills so you feel it immediately. No matter the method, the fuel costs will find their way to the market. And you will pay it.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score

She posted something about not wanting to hear any complaining about gas prices from people driving $70K trucks.

And I simply replied that I wasn't complaining, but simply passing on the costs to my clients. And things went downhill from there.

But my point is valid whether they wanted to acknowledge it or not. As gas prices rise, the cost of everything transported via a fossil fuel engine, will cost more. It might not tomorrow, or even next week. And some companies like our trash collection have fuel surcharges directly on their bills so you feel it immediately. No matter the method, the fuel costs will find their way to the market. And you will pay it.
And yet, if the Auto and Oil industry didn't try to block every effort in the R&D of alternative fuel, we would have been a decade ahead of the fuel cost crunch we are all feeling now.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
At least in the US, this is industry crisis profiteering pure and simple. There’s no reason that an attack far from the US geographically and economically around a week ago should cause prices to go up $0.50+ per gallon already. Even if prices stabilize soon (which they won’t), they still got a nice run of gouging people to increase their profit margin. At worst, they might get fined at some point and the fine amount will be less than the profit they made by gouging people. Not to mention, it’s not like that fine goes back into the pocket of those who bought gas. There’s no justice to be found here.

Meanwhile they expect us to get all worked up to defend this system that is under threat.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
This is a consideration. But again not going to help those who rent or who live in apartments. Fortunately I don’t but am investing in an EV. The solar panels and battery will be a future project when funds are looking better.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

It's almost like people bagging on poor people for buying a hot dog with their food stamp card on "their dime" while being completely oblivious to the fact that they're paying three times more out of their paychecks to fund tax breaks for millionaires. We relate with what we can see and what's tangible.

My brother is a fishing guide and has to tow his boat with his huge truck and has had to increase his rates, but his clients don't want to pay it. So it sounds like he may be folding, it's unfortunate for everyone. Of course he places the blame 100% on Biden and it's not that he doesn't bear some responsibility as a sitting president but this is much bigger than Trump or Biden, it's cyclical and the pandemic has played a huge role. Prices will eventually drop again if people can hang in there for a little while.

Top Bottom
1 2