Why are gas prices so high (and why do they keep climbing)?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Highest gas prices in the world (hint, the US doesn't even crack the top ten):
  • Hong Kong – $10.898.
  • Monaco – $9.375 (updated monthly)
  • Netherlands – $9.205.
  • Finland – $9.201.
  • Liechtenstein – $9.171 (updated monthly)
  • Germany – $9.122.
  • Italy – $9.084.
  • Norway – $8.834.
It's all Biden's fault... explain how please?

Really? Taxes are a much larger component of the pump price in those locations. And I figure you know that.

I'm not saying I blame Biden. Not entirely anyway. But a lot of people do. So why isn't he out everyday explaining why prices are high and what he is doing about it? He could be helping himself and his party, but he isn't.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Really? Taxes are a much larger component of the pump price in those locations. And I figure you know that.
So it only counts in the US because of tax rates? Trying hard not to laugh but the ridiculousness of these Conservative arguments is sort of off the charts.

I'm not saying I blame Biden. Not entirely anyway. But a lot of people do. So why isn't he out everyday explaining why prices are high and what he is doing about it? He could be helping himself and his party, but he isn't.
It's basically all you've done, if one can't look at this these changes as global and not just Democratic or Republican then you'll never see the bigger picture. I have my issues with Biden as well but there's enough blame to go all around here and IMO until we address Putin and stop cowering to him we're all going to continue to face these issues.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The fossil fuel megalopoly is the reason climate change bills never pass. Every Democrat support the climate measures in Build Back Better except Manchin, who personally profits from coal and takes tons of money from polluting lobbyists. As for the entire Republican party, climate change denial is a requirement for membership.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
We went full electric with a used Tesla in February (2018, 38k miles). Now, the same type of teslas are going for 20k more. We constantly get our neighbors talking to us, asking us how our experience is and how they plan on going electric too. Our complex was built before EVs were popular and there are no >20amp outlets in the house (even garage area) so it's about a $3k bill to put in a 50 amp line down to the garage.

Our local Arco finally went down to - haven't seen it this low in forever.
1650213712977.png

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
We went full electric with a used Tesla in February (2018, 38k miles). Now, the same type of teslas are going for 20k more. We constantly get our neighbors talking to us, asking us how our experience is and how they plan on going electric too. Our complex was built before EVs were popular and there are no >20amp outlets in the house (even garage area) so it's about a $3k bill to put in a 50 amp line down to the garage.

Our local Arco finally went down to - haven't seen it this low in forever.
View attachment 13293

The only Tesla I would be able to afford would be a 2013 model 3 with about 150k miles on the clock. I’m amazed how much they hold their value in the UK and I’m intrigued how they are going to be affordable in the next few years. They are very much a luxury car here based on price rather than aesthetics.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
The only Tesla I would be able to afford would be a 2013 model 3 with about 150k miles on the clock. I’m amazed how much they hold their value in the UK and I’m intrigued how they are going to be affordable in the next few years. They are very much a luxury car here based on price rather than aesthetics.
We lucked out I think. We had 2 2018 Civics (~50k mileage) and sold those for 80% of what we paid for them. The Tesla Model 3 2018 used in February was almost the same $/mo car payment as those 2 Civics were. (Except now, reduced car insurance rates and no gas so we're pretty happy).

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm actually ticked off that Biden plans to expand oil and gas drilling on US public lands. This is a time they should be quadrupling down on alternatives to fossil fuel energy. To my mind the Dems do themselves and the country and world zero favors by revealing they don't really mean it when they land in power and do shit like this after talking about going green. If I were 20-something I'd be done with both major parties as they show themselves to be right now. As it is, I'm going to settle for complaining to the Dems since the Rs are more rigid than I figure the Dems can afford to remain.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
CA thinks raising the gas tax in July is a winning strategy. Screw those elitist poor people and their lifestyle choice of owning a gas powered vehicle. CA treats their gas tax like the US treats the military. We need to charge more gas tax than the next 7 high gas tax states combined or we’re losing the gas tax race.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
CA governor Newsom thinks raising the gas tax in June is a winning strategy. Screw those elitist poor people and their lifestyle choice of owning a gas powered vehicle. CA treats their gas tax like the US treats the military. We need to charge more gas tax than the next 7 high gas tax states combined or we’re losing the gas tax race.
I know he's proposing a rebate but don't know of a new hike, got a source for that?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Some doomsay-ish people latched onto the fact that a gas station had adjusted its dispensers to accomodate an additional price digit. Arrrgh! Ten dollar gas coming soon!.

I guess we will see..........

I am old enough to remember when stations had to make adjustments to $1 gas. Some sold it in quarts and some in half gallons. But this was back before digital pumps.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m hearing that on the right they are saying the left is using this opportunity to double down on their renewable energy platform and completely ignoring the current struggle. Could be happening, but I haven’t really seen it, or at least in any overwhelming and united message. It’s pretty much accepted that Democrat messaging sucks. But you can’t have it both ways. You can’t say they suck at messaging on helping people out but are loud and clear on screwing people or marginalizing their struggle.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Well, the oil companies did it. Did what various administrations could not. Due to their greed...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1529547553276149760/

The demand for gas has finally dropped, at a time when Americans are seen as traveling the most in the year.

Bravo.

:rolleyes:
If gas had been this expensive years ago, we might have moved faster towards electric vehicles, invested more in public transportation, etc.

Instead, people bought 10 MPG trucks when gas was cheap and drive in them, alone, to work.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

What does it matter whether it’s taxes or just “the price”?

Also, a lot of this is just greed. Good luck coming up with laws to prevent global corporations to lowe their prices just because it’s the right thing to do.

We keep overlooking the obvious when the obvious is in front of us. The pandemic has shown that many people raise prices on things not because of demand or to keep overhead low, but because they can. Gas is no exception.

Top Bottom
1 2