Why aren’t we hyper focused on ocean desalination?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wasn't it not too long ago that salt was more valuable than gold? And now we can't figure what to do with it?

As far as dumping it back in the ocean, I would think it would be less of an issue if we didn't just disperse it in a single concentrated area, or would spreading it out more just be too much effort?

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Wasn't it not too long ago that salt was more valuable than gold? And now we can't figure what to do with it?

As far as dumping it back in the ocean, I would think it would be less of an issue if we didn't just disperse it in a single concentrated area, or would spreading it out more just be too much effort?
Seems like adding salt chutes to the thousands of freighters that ply the ocean constantly would be enough to do the job.

As to being more valuable than gold, there are a great many things more valuable that gold. If you offered me a ton of copper or a ton of gold, I would definitely take the copper. But sea salt is a whole lot more than basic NaCl, and if we had hills of it, it would make sense to try to extract everything else before dumping the salt back into the sea.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score

Here are some examples of the situation.

This is just a start. I think too often it’s just assumed that you can just sweep issues like salt under the rugs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2