why did you choose the Avatar you are using on TalkedAbout ?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is meant as a companion thread to the user name thread.

I change my avatar often, but I pretty much always use photos of myself, the same as I use my own name. Which reminds me..I should change it again soon!

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I took my pic last year in Venice, Italy. It was a tiny bar with a window section to serve drinks to pedestrians. I ordered a drink and sat by the water waiting for the wife to be done inside a store.

The sign was just part of the decor. I found the phrasing funny, English as a second language style. Don’t know why I picked it, aside from being a functional alcoholic. Which reminds me, it’s my day off and almost noon. Time to have a homemade dark ‘n stormy by the water. Beautiful weather in New Hampshire today.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I took my pic last year in Venice, Italy. It was a tiny bar with a window section to serve drinks to pedestrians. I ordered a drink and sat by the water waiting for the wife to be done inside a store.

The sign was just part of the decor. I found the phrasing funny, English as a second language style. Don’t know why I picked it, aside from being a functional alcoholic. Which reminds me, it’s my day off and almost noon. Time to have a homemade dark ‘n stormy by the water. Beautiful weather in New Hampshire today.
I had to click through your profile to see the full picture. Avatars just never do photos justice.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
In most forums where I participate I always use photos I've shot and once in a while I finally remember to change them! This avatar is a photo that I shot earlier this autumn and several people commented how much they liked it when I shared the full image. Maybe today or tomorrow I'll swap it out for something fresh and new now. I've certainly got plenty of candidates! :D On MR I use the same avatar that I've had since the early days, when iBlue (anyone remember her?) made it and when I said how much I loved it, graciously gave it to me to use as an avatar, and I've been very fond of my sparkly Apple ever since. The only problem is that now on Xenforo the Apple no longer sparkles, as the avatars aren't allowed to be moveable GIFs any more.

ETA 11/24/2020: Have just swapped out avatars again, as I plan to do periodically and when the mood strikes me. :)

As for using my real name on forums, I don't, I just use Clix Pix. Years and years ago I vaguely recall using my real name but that was on a professional listserv or something, rather than on a newsgroup or more public type of forum.

Last edited:

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_4216.jpeg

IMG_4218.jpeg

IMG_4227.jpeg

mac users will recognise this lake, which apple used as a desktop wallpaper many years ago.

Blue Lake (in Hokkaido).

all of the photos i have posted here i took myself a few years ago. w/ my trusty iPhone 6s.

the blueness comes from when a nearby volcano erupted, which caused landfalls that blocked terrain creating this pond. the actual colour of the water effect is caused by a local waterfall that feeds the newly created pond having a rockbed that includes Au. the aluminium in the water provides this dramatic effect.

the photo used in my avatar however is not taken by me.
it was taken by a local photographer who makes a yearly winter pilgrimage to Blue Lake to capture the winter effect.

the area has tremendous places for mountaineering related activities. like boldering in summer and BC skiing in winter.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
In the Other Place, the Other Country, before they took a decision to allow everyone an avatar when they joined the forum, they used to have a system whereby one couldn't upload an avatar until one had posted - I think it was 500 posts (whereas PRSI required 100 posts before one could obtain access, while access to the Marketplace was granted once one had amassed 250 posts and been a member for six months).

I seem to recall that quite a number of people became quite agitated as they approached 500 posts, and found themselves unable to upload avatars immediately to announce this fact, something that, at the time, I thought a extraordinarily disproportionate expenditure of emotion.

Actually, I also seem to recall that some threads were started which loudly complained about the delay in recognition of the poster's new status, and thus, allowing them to upload a carefully chosen avatar, as the system didn't seem to immediately register their change in status, invariably and inevitably followed by fulsome apologies on the part of mods, as remedial action was taken.

Anyway, MR was the first online community I had ever joined, and the whole thing was new to me. At the time, given the fuss around this topic in MR, I even recall having to look up the noun "avatar" as I hadn't a clue what it meant, or why it was so important to some people.

When I reached the number of 500 posts, I remained avatar-less for quite some time, as it didn't really bother me, and I had no idea whatsoever what one should do, or why one should want to do it.

Moreover the whole field of digital photography was (and is) completely unfamiliar to me, as I still shoot (that is, when I still shoot) with film.

Eventually, given that I was (and still am) active on the coffee forum, - and I do love my coffee - I liked one of the avatars used by SBG, and asked him whether I could use it when he no longer felt a need for it, and he arranged for me to use (and uploaded it for me) the avatar I use here, a nicely shot image of a cup of coffee.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This is meant as a companion thread to the user name thread.

I change my avatar often, but I pretty much always use photos of myself, the same as I use my own name. Which reminds me..I should change it again soon!

I almost went real photo today, for some reason ...

Top Bottom
1 2