why did you choose the Username you are using on TalkedAbout ?

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
there are some great usernames people have on this board.

why did you choose the Username (and photo) you are using on TalkedAbout ?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I've been "Clix Pix" online for many years now and use this name on all the forums in which I participate. Interestingly enough, though, when I first joined MR, I had been reading posts and threads there for a while and was getting more and more interested in actually buying and using a Mac myself, so one day when I had a couple of questions to which I didn't find any answers, I joined up. For some reason I had the idea that probably I wouldn't be hanging around there long, so instead of using "Clix Pix," I came up with "On the Brink," as at that point I was still trying to decide whether or not I wanted to take the plunge into the world of the Mac. This was back in October 2005. I joined, got my questions answered and shortly thereafter, there was a keynote, and I watched and listened as Steve talked with great enthusiasm about the latest version of the iMac, which he proudly announced, "and it has a built-in iSight camera! Our first iMac with this!" I shrugged, thought, "I don't need a camera in the computer, I like the last model just fine...."

BOOM!!! Yeah, that was it. I suddenly realized that, hey, with the new version of the iMac arriving in stores, they'd be wanting to clear the inventory of their older Rev B G5 iMacs...... I could save a little money and take the plunge, see if I actually liked this Mac thing.....!!! Went to the Apple store the very next day and bought my first iMac. In the car, coming home, I wondered if I had just gone to the Dark Side. By the time I'd set her up, used her a little, I realized, that, actually I'd just come into the Light and was leaving the Dark Side behind.... Wow! I fell in love with my G5 Rev B iMac immediately and promptly was enveloped in Steve's magical Reality Distortion Field....

Soon thereafter I realized that I was no longer "on the brink," and that it was time to change my user name on there to my familiar "Clix Pix," and so got in touch with Doctor Q once I learned that it was something he did, and he made the change for me. It was also around that time, too, that I decided to become a contributor, a Demi-goddess, and still am.

Hey, I've just realized that it is now fifteen years that I've been using Macs and have been integrated into the Apple ecosystem! Wheeeee!!

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
@Arkitect were you in Spore in 1989?
i was there in December 1986 to August 1989 (if i remember correctly now).
to be an architect in spore at that time must have been fascinating.
so much of old spore still there but so much promise for tomorrow's spore.
it was heady days.
Indeed it was.
I started at an Australian Architectural firm in Hong Kong and then moved to SG when they opened an office there. I was in Singapore until… 1993. Then back to HK for the next 10 years… :)

There was indeed a lot of old buildings around… all being "restored" Singapore style… meaning, torn down completely and then rebuilt. Disneyland restoration/conservation… I am not a fan. (Talking of the olden days, I remember the original Bugis street during a visit in 1978. Not the sanitised version it became… :) )

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
username same as over there... and yes of course I'm named after British royalty so please take a knee.

photo is that of my fearless PorchKitty who deserved to live longer so now she gets as much immortality as the net hands out.
i have often admired that photo of PorchKitty from the days of TheOther(TwliightZone)Place.
its good to know her name.
s/
thank you yr Royalness!
/s

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
i chose niji:

yes. its the same name i have been using at MR.
but niji comes from an area i lived in outside of tokyo.
the japanese means rainbow and comes from the full name name of the area: rainbow hills.
for the future i think i might change the name but keeping niji right now.
"Niji" always reminds me of a brand of writing instrument. We had this thing called a "Niji Stylist" which was a felt marker with a tip that was angle-cut to about 33mm square (really big) and somehow the name sticks in my head. I remember as a teenager using it to mark my big toenail black.

I originally registered as "You", but it turned out to be somewhat problematic, and I am accommodating when I need to be. This name has a touch of ambiguity (it can be seen as meaning two completely different things).

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Yoused
yes. its the same word (niji) as you remember in that marker series.
the name of the company that made (and still makes Niji branded art markers you refer to is Yasutomo. still available in Japan.
probably used the name niji as brand name since, as i mentioned, niji means rainbow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2