Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
You made shit personal. Why don't you find the answer since, quoting your words: "maybe you've condoned the actual attack somewhere and I missed it? 🤷‍♂️"
Okay, I’ll accept that. Just want to know if you thought Smith was justified in the attack. I did look and nothing you’ve stated suggests otherwise.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Okay, I’ll accept that. Just want to know if you thought Smith was justified in the attack. I did look and nothing you’ve stated suggests otherwise.
The personal attack was necessary. All you had to do was look and see what I've posted. And for the record:

You have though, you’ve accused CR of rape and being transphobic while telling us how everyone hates him. It’s all as if to justify the assault.
Never accused him of rape. Stated that there were/are allegations that he said he would fight in court and shortly thereafter settled. I said he pals around with the transphobic Chapelle, not that he was. And my comments about hatred went both ways: some hate Will/The Smiths, and some hate CR (you do know CR created a show about his life with that title because *ahem* people have hated on him for years?) I never condoned the assault. I never justified the assault. I and others think another shoe is going to drop. That's why I said I can't say all that I want to say unless some other info is made public. It's not about the Academy's investigation. But Whoopi Goldberg may have alluded to it on The View. She's a Governor of the Academy and will be a part of the investigation and promised "consequences," hinting not just for Will.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Roxane Gay sums up a great deal of my thoughts on the Will Smith incident

Up front so there is no miscommunication about RG's thoughts. She opens with this line --

"This is not a defense of Will Smith, who does not need me to defend him."​

Who is served by all this thick skin? Those who want to behave with impunity. If the targets of derision only had thicker skin, their aggressors could say or do as they please. If we all had the thickest of skins, no one would have to take responsibility for cruelties, big or small. It’s an alluring idea to some, I suppose.

[ ... ]

Yes, these are all public figures. An imperviousness to criticism and ridicule is a necessity for celebrities or anyone in the public eye. But no matter how thick your skin is or with how much wealth, fame and power you are cosseted, being the butt of a joke isn’t fun. Sometimes, it is intolerable. When you are constantly a target — of jokes, insults, incivility and worse — as most Black women are, the skin we’ve spent a lifetime thickening can come apart. We’re only human, and so, too, are the people who love us.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
That was me. I said I didn't have a problem with it.

People need to stop "joking" at other people's expense. You don't know the mental health of people. I've seen plenty of comedians that were funny as fuck without making it personal. Like I said, you don't know the mental health of people and what may make them snap, so don't be surprised when a "joke" gets you knocked the fuck out.

So you think it’s totally permissible to assault someone because you don’t like what they said?

Hosts roasting the celebrity audience at these award shows is nothing new. It’s not unprecedented or unexpected. Perhaps those who cannot tolerate such jabs should not attend? And really, Jada probably did not appreciate the joke judging by her facial expression, but she’s not the one who went up and assaulted Chris Rock. I’m not sure why there is this automatic assumption that she condoned such behavior.

If something similar happened to my wife and I (in some bizarre alternate reality), I know she would be mortified if I was screaming profanities on national TV. Even in not an alternate reality of fame, I think my wife would be far more upset about me assaulting someone for insulting her than the insult in the first place.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I would definitely have done what Will Smith did if someone insulted my wife and it made her upset. I just wouldn’t have done it on a stage being watched by millions of people lol. He should have done it at an after party out of view really. Silly man [emoji51]

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
So you think it’s totally permissible to assault someone because you don’t like what they said?

Yes, I do. Don't be a dick to people and you won't have to worry about getting knocked out.

It's funny that the crowd offended at everything these days are telling people they shouldn't attend something if they are easily offended. Now that's comedy that Chris Rock should use in his next show.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
HE SMACKED A DUDE!

Well, the dude deserved it because his joke was not funny. And since the target of the joke is the most famous person in the world, he had to be aware of her medical history.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Well, the dude deserved it because his joke was not funny. And since the target of the joke is the most famous person in the world, he had to be aware of her medical history.

We should, at all times, carry around a list of the various ailments the people around us suffer from, lest we mistakenly make a massive social faux pas.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
He may have a sore jaw but he's getting paid.

Tickets to Chris Rock's Oakland comedy show going fast after Oscars slap​

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1508453636862627844/

That’s just because the grievance community wants to get close enough to slap him.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I would definitely have done what Will Smith did if someone insulted my wife and it made her upset. I just wouldn’t have done it on a stage being watched by millions of people lol. He should have done it at an after party out of view really. Silly man [emoji51]

Nice to see a man on this forum :)

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Wonder why this didn't come out sooner. And I guess the Academy didn't want to involve police/security in ejecting Will. They could have cut his speech though.

He will get the hammer barring some Hail Mary play. Suspension at the very least.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wonder why this didn't come out sooner. And I guess the Academy didn't want to involve police/security in ejecting Will. They could have cut his speech though.

He will get the hammer barring some Hail Mary play. Suspension at the very least.
They may be covering their butts. “Hey, will, maybe you should leave?” “No.”

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
They may be covering their butts. “Hey, will, maybe you should leave?” “No.”
The official statement definitely is about covering their butts. A few are saying they're trying to not get sued by CR. How can he sue the Academy when Will Smith did something beyond their control? Once he refused to leave, they wouldn't want to disrupt the rest of the broadcast wrestling him away from the venue.

I wonder what AppleTV+ will do with the Emancipation project in post-production. Do they wait to see the consequences? Do they act on their own? That project is pretty screwed at this point.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The official statement definitely is about covering their butts. A few are saying they're trying to not get sued by CR. How can he sue the Academy when Will Smith did something beyond their control? Once he refused to leave, they wouldn't want to disrupt the rest of the broadcast wrestling him away from the venue.

I wonder what AppleTV+ will do with the Emancipation project in post-production. Do they wait to see the consequences? Do they act on their own? That project is pretty screwed at this point.

Seems like there are a few theories CR could use to sue. Not a legal opinion here, but: (1) he could argue that security should have intercepted WS before he got to the stage; (2) he could argue that the assault continued afterward (depends on the local laws, but, for example, in common law “assault” included putting someone in fear of imminent physical attack) and by not removing WS they allowed this continuing attack; (3) there could be things in CR’s contract with the Academy (if there is one), where they were either obligated to do something they didn’t, or they accept liability regardless, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2