Will Smith - ripple effects

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
We might have been willing to write off “the slap heard ‘round the world” as an isolated incident. But we know there is no such thing.

This is a direct result of what Will did. Such behavior cannot be tolerated by celebrities, or of course there will be copycats. The fact that he got to stay and receive an Oscar after assaulting somebody led to this. There will probably be more to come. He should have thought of this before acting, and the Oscars should have hauled his ass out of the room immediately as a message to copycats.

PS - Sorry for the new thread, but the old one is closed.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d like to hear what the assailant’s problem with Chappelle was, out of curiosity.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
“The comedian had literally just said he now has more security because of all the uproar from his jokes about the Trans community,” tweeted Buzzfeed News reporter Brianna Sacks, who attended the show. She tweeted that “while the attacker was getting beat up,” Chappelle “made a joke about him probably being a Trans man.”

From the article you linked. I would be hestitant to say that this is directly because of Will Smith. I'd guess it was more with previous statements that Chappelle has made. Neither incident is excusable, but I think it's a stretch to say they are related.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think it would have mattered no matter how the Oscars handled it. Once the slap happened the damage was done. We live in a world where some people feel reading a short tweet is all the information and call to action they need.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
We might have been willing to write off “the slap heard ‘round the world” as an isolated incident. But we know there is no such thing.
So there's nothing about personal responsibility for your actions? There wasn't pushback against Chappelle's homophobia and extreme transphobia well before the Oscars slap? JFC!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
So there's nothing about personal responsibility for your actions? There wasn't pushback against Chappelle's homophobia and extreme transphobia well before the Oscars slap? JFC!
The reason for the violent attack is not what I believe is at issue. The fact that somebody physically attacked a comedian on stage so soon after the Oscars is not a coincidence. It’s a copycat. As a performer, you are very vulnerable on stage alone. Even with security guards on duty, this guy was able to tackle Dave.

People can say all sorts of offensive things, especially comedians. Violence is never the correct solution to that anger. A lot of people looked up to Will Smith, and his actions could inspire somebody (especially an unstable person) to do something similar.

This is not about Dave Chappelle. There are people who have said far worse than him, and I don’t support them being assaulted either.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
The reason for the violent attack is not what I believe is at issue. The fact that somebody physically attacked a comedian on stage so soon after the Oscars is not a coincidence. It’s a copycat. As a performer, you are very vulnerable on stage alone. Even with security guards on duty, this guy was able to tackle Dave.

People can say all sorts of offensive things, especially comedians. Violence is never the correct solution to that anger. A lot of people looked up to Will Smith, and his actions could inspire somebody (especially an unstable person) to do something similar.

This is not about Dave Chappelle. There are people who have said far worse than him, and I don’t support them being assaulted either.
This nutcase was rapping about Chappelle in 2020 referencing the Hollywood Bowl (the site of the attack), and has a song about "his president" titled "MAGA My Nigga". But let's blame his actions in 2022 on Will Smith. 🤷‍♂️

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

I'm pretty sure this incident IS about Dave Chappelle. He's said some awful things long before the Oscars.

Not everything is a related conspiracy. Whackjobs have long been going off on famous people. Assasinations, even.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
This nutcase was rapping about Chappelle in 2020 referencing the Hollywood Bowl (the site of the attack), and has a song about "his president" titled "MAGA My Nigga". But let's blame his actions in 2022 on Will Smith. 🤷‍♂️
It could be a coincidence, I can acknowledge that possibility. But I think a highly publicized event like the Oscars can influence a lot of people.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
It could be a coincidence, I can acknowledge that possibility. But I think a highly publicized event like the Oscars can influence a lot of people.
Coincidence? Har!! Again, he was referencing Chappelle two years ago. And the venue where he attacked Chappelle. Which he (the attacker Isaiah Lee) lives near. Not a coincidence. Appears to be a delayed attack. Chappelle was supposed to appear at the Hollywood Bowl in 2020 but shows were cancelled due to the Pandemic.

This guy appears to be unhinged and was focused on Chappelle for years.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Coincidence? Har!! Again, he was referencing Chappelle two years ago. And the venue where he attacked Chappelle. Which he (the attacker Isaiah Lee) lives near. Not a coincidence. Appears to be a delayed attack. Chappelle was supposed to appear at the Hollywood Bowl in 2020 but shows were cancelled due to the Pandemic.

This guy appears to be unhinged and was focused on Chappelle for years.

I can acknowledge that he’s nuts. I can also acknowledge that crazy people can get the “courage” to take that next crazy step if they see somebody else doing it. But you are right; I do not know if it played a part in this. It’s possible it did; it’s also possible it did not.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure this has anything to do with Will Smith. Slapping someone (who presumably has some relationship) is a little different than a complete stranger tackling someone on stage with weapon.

Many people have been attacked on stage before, including celebrities. The Will Smith incident is only notable because it’s celebrity on celebrity at a high profile event.

It’s possible the perpetrator was doing this solely for public attention (one of the major motivations of copycat crimes), but I suspect the more likely scenario is that we will find he a rather unhinged individual. If he wanted to prove he was a “tough guy” attacking Dave Chapelle probably wouldn’t be the best means to that end.

I also suspect there will be much, much tighter security moving forward for live performances. Even though Chapelle allegedly had increased his security due to his controversies, they didn’t seem well placed to actually protect him and the stage.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Not to pile on, but I really don't see what Will did as making any of the sheeple feel entitled to go out and randomly assault people.

Yes, there's a demographic that is no doubt challenged getting dressed in the morning, but I also doubt that demographic has the attention span to sit through the oscars :D

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’m not sure this has anything to do with Will Smith. Slapping someone (who presumably has some relationship) is a little different than a complete stranger tackling someone on stage with weapon.

And yet, he won't be charged with a felony. SMDH. :mad:

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score

“I don’t have anything negative to say about Isaiah. He’s a performing artist who tries to stay as positive as possible. He does have a history of mental health issues. He does take medicine. Maybe he missed out on taking his prescription. But he’s not the type to just lash out. I don’t understand,” Aaron, 31, says.

The younger Lee has rapped under the name Noname Trapper and posted a song online two years ago titled “Dave Chappell.” His brother says Isaiah only picked that title to get search engine hits. Aaron says he never heard his brother express any ill will toward the comedian.

Top Bottom
1 2