Will the presidential debates happen?

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Let’s start with JoeBiden.com where you’ll find all the answers.

Ok...

Joe Biden believes to his core that there’s no greater economic engine in the world than the hard work and ingenuity of the American people. Nobody has more respect for the working women and men who get up every day to build and sustain this country, or more confidence that they can meet the challenges we face.

This is not a plan. This is empty retorhic of what is at most a mission statement. Trump says the very same things, which have been said from all politicians I know of ("workers! I am on your side! 'murica!")

Educators, students, and families have done an incredible job in difficult circumstances over the last four months. Everyone wants schools to fully reopen for in-person instruction. Creating the conditions to make it happen should be a top national priority. Joe Biden believes that the decision about when to reopen safely should be made by state, tribal, and local officials, based on science and in consultation with communities and tribal governments. It should be made with the safety of students and educators in mind. And, it should be made recognizing that if we do this wrong, we will put lives at risk and set our economy and our country back.

Again, not a plan, just a statement on beliefs "decision about when to reopen safely should be made by state, tribal, and local officials, based on science and in consultation with communities and tribal governments" that contradicts his own statements (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...k-us-down-if-scientists-recommend/3415927001/)
As president, Biden will protect the Affordable Care Act from these continued attacks. He opposes every effort to get rid of this historic law – including efforts by Republicans, and efforts by Democrats. Instead of starting from scratch and getting rid of private insurance, he has a plan to build on the Affordable Care Act by giving Americans more choice, reducing health care costs, and making our health care system less complex to navigate.

This is slightly more a plan than the other two above. He doesn't tell us how he would fend off a SCOTUS ruling, and how he would keep the party from splitting (Medicare for all vs ACA vs Private healthcare), but at least there is a vision here.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is slightly more a plan than the other two above. He doesn't tell us how he would fend off a SCOTUS ruling, and how he would keep the party from splitting (Medicare for all vs ACA vs Private healthcare), but at least there is a vision here.

I only copied the first paragraph of each. They are quite detailed. Y’all might want to give them a full read.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
HE has the best words. bigly words.................... that said as Renz pointed out he works well with crowds, not sure how he is going to fare alone.
Personal feelings about him aside, I couldn't agree more, he can energize his base. What you never see though is his ability to really get through on a personal level with people, it's just not who it is. If he wants to win re-election it's going to need to figure out how to do it without a crowd behind him.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
HE has the best words. bigly words.................... that said as Renz pointed out he works well with crowds, not sure how he is going to fare alone.

Trump's "word salad" tendencies certainly have become worse over the past four years. He's still okay (sometimes) when working with a script. He's not okay any more when being asked to focus on a particular issue for very long, and I mean 30 seconds, even in neutral or friendly interviews. To me, Trump appears to be experiencing some kind of progressive deterioration that whatever meds he takes are not keeping in check.

Biden on the other hand seems to me occasionally derailed by stuttering issues, and otherwise somewhat gaffe prone over the years, but he's not unable to focus on the issue at hand in an interview. He did have at least one really "off" night in the debates this past year iirc and I have no idea what that was about.

It's probably unwise for Rs to focus on Biden gaffes though, and plain stupid to hope any primary debate flubs are a harbinger of Biden's performances this fall. They should worry about whether The Don can manage to remember --while responding to a debate query-- that he's not doing a stump speech or talking with Fox and Friends. I wonder how he will be if he starts to wander far afield and gets cut off by a moderator. Should be entertaining, or maybe only pathetic, who knows.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Well, guess from which side the “don’t debate” thing starts...
However I am perplexed, this is a “How to lose an election 101” move.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Well, guess from which side the “don’t debate” thing starts...
However I am perplexed, this is a “How to lose an election 101” move.

Couldn't disagree more and I'm assuming the same goes for Biden. Dems will want fewer and Republicans will want more as a result of Trump being behind in the polls, historically speaking in the world of politics this is actually normal.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more and I'm assuming the same goes for Biden. Dems will want fewer and Republicans will want more as a result of Trump being behind in the polls, historically speaking in the world of politics this is actually normal.

Well, Biden disagree with her. Not going to the debates is planned suicide.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if this could be a planned public disagreement between Nancy and Joe. They get to make the point Trump is the biggest liar, well, ever; and Joe never backs down.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
I wonder if this could be a planned public disagreement between Nancy and Joe. They get to make the point Trump is the biggest liar, well, ever; and Joe never backs down.

Who knows, honestly. I don’t think they need to resort to this type of trick as they say stuff about Trump continuously. Debates will happen anyways.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I see Pelosi's point but it was after all just commentary, albeit aptly presented. The debates, should they take place, will be a horror show but there's not really much downside for the Democrats. All Biden has to do is focus on the question last posed by the moderators and shut up when his time has expired. It's ok to bore the viewers with the main act at a circus. Trump will provide the exotic sideshows that everyone secretly goes to the circus to see anyway. No votes will change sides. The real downside for the Republicans is that it's Trump representing them at all. Maybe a different nominee could have rescued their party if not the White House in 2020.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I see Pelosi's point but it was after all just commentary, albeit aptly presented. The debates, should they take place, will be a horror show but there's not really much downside for the Democrats. All Biden has to do is focus on the question last posed by the moderators and shut up when his time has expired. It's ok to bore the viewers with the main act at a circus. Trump will provide the exotic sideshows that everyone secretly goes to the circus to see anyway. No votes will change sides. The real downside for the Republicans is that it's Trump representing them at all. Maybe a different nominee could have rescued their party if not the White House in 2020.

Right, Biden will have a more measured response, stammer a bit, probably not deep dive too much, sort of stay on the question. Trump will go into his stream of consciousness spew, where it's a lot of words-words-words. Many on the right will see this as "dominating", because words-words-words.

If I were Joe and dummy loomed up behind me like the did with Hillary, I think I'd elbow him right in the mouth, you know, "on accident".

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Oh, the debates must go on.

One thing I don’t understand. I’m reading the first debate will be at Case Western Reserve University and the Cleveland Clinic. Does that mean they’ll each be at a separate location?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
...If I were Joe and dummy loomed up behind me like the did with Hillary, I think I'd elbow him right in the mouth, you know, "on accident".
She did the classy thing and ignored it.

However I think it’s possible if she’d spun on her heel and firmly yelled BACK THE FUCK OFF DONALD!!! she might be president today.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Who knows, honestly. I don’t think they need to resort to this type of trick as they say stuff about Trump continuously. Debates will happen anyways.
I watched and it's no trick. Biden clearly stated he was going so there's not need to go all "he better show" on him, it was obvious he didn't even see that question coming.

Top Bottom
1 2