Windows 11

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I spend a lot of time on Windows these days, although I have 32GB of ram assigned to a Linux VM on this machine, just to stop it from choking when compiling LLVM. If I gave it more swap, 16 would do. Every time I have to do something on Windows, it's just a long stream of workarounds.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Unfortunately I spend a lot of time on Windows these days, although I have 32GB of ram assigned to a Linux VM on this machine, just to stop it from choking when compiling LLVM. If I gave it more swap, 16 would do. Every time I have to do something on Windows, it's just a long stream of workarounds.

You know you don't have to use a VM to work with Linux on Windows anymore, right?

WSLGUIAppsNoName.png

...and one from me.

Winbuntu.jpg

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I thought Windows 10 was going to the be the "last" version but let's see what it can run on, no matter what the name.

U

User 189

You know you don't have to use a VM to work with Linux on Windows anymore, right?

View attachment 5718

...and one from me.

View attachment 5720

Renzatic

Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I thought Windows 10 was going to the be the "last" version but let's see what it can run on, no matter what the name.

Yeah, and that quip was obviously a massive marketing gaffe.

Honestly, I think they're going to take the Apple route, and call each new version of Windows by some neat codename. For example, this upcoming refresh is has been dubbed "Sun Valley", so I expect the final version to be "Windows Sun Valley". Like "MacOS Big Sur"

U

User 189

Moved this into the Tech Talk forum :)
Thanks! Has that hidden category always existed?

In other news...
Yeah, and that quip was obviously a massive marketing gaffe.

Honestly, I think they're going to take the Apple route, and call each new version of Windows by some neat codename. For example, this upcoming refresh is has been dubbed "Sun Valley", so I expect the final version to be "Windows Sun Valley". Like "MacOS Big Sur"
Most rumors and leaks have pointed towards Windows 11.

Renzatic

Reaction score
It's weird how much MS is glomming onto Linux these days. I wouldn't be surprised if they're slowly weening everyone towards their own 'nix based distro.

They already effectively do maintain a Linux distro through Azure. Setting up an easy to use consumer rev with a WINE like application layer for legacy apps would be a helluva lot easier for them to maintain.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Reaction score
Most rumors and leaks have pointed towards Windows 11.

That's what the tech press is referring to it as, though the trend these days is to drop the numbers entirely, and go entirely for branding. I wouldn't be surprised if they just go for "Windows."

...though they could just as easily keep it as Windows 10.

U

User 189

That's what the tech press is referring to it as, though the trend these days is to drop the numbers entirely, and go entirely for branding. I wouldn't be surprised if they just go for "Windows."

...though they could just as easily keep it as Windows 10.
Everybody and their grandma is saying "Windows 11" on Twitter.

Also, this...

Renzatic

Reaction score
I haven't really tried that. It was missing some linux environment stuff last time I looked at it.

It's fairly complete by this point. As you can see, it can render Linux specific apps as native windows, and gives Explorer full access to root.

Technically, it is running through a hypervisor, though from what I understand, it doesn't use virtualized hardware, using your comp's natural resources as if it's running Linux on bare metal.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's fairly complete by this point. As you can see, it can render Linux specific apps as native windows, and gives Explorer full access to root.

Technically, it is running through a hypervisor, though from what I understand, it doesn't use virtualized hardware, using your comp's natural resources as if it's running Linux on bare metal.

This isn't that uncommon. Since we need nested hypervisors today, there are various hacks to lead guest operating systems to believe they are running as root.

Renzatic

Reaction score
This isn't that uncommon. Since we need nested hypervisors today, there are various hacks to lead guest operating systems to believe they are running as root.

Regardless, it might be worth a try, considering it's MS' attempt to stave off developers hopping over to Linux for it's more friendly programming environment. Thus far, everyone seems to be fairly pleased with it, what with it giving Windows users access to Docker and all.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's weird how much MS is glomming onto Linux these days. I wouldn't be surprised if they're slowly weening everyone towards their own 'nix based distro.

They already effective do maintain a Linux distro through Azure. Setting up an easy to use consumer rev with a WINE like application layer for legacy apps would be a helluva lot easier for them to maintain.
There’s been some, kind of tongue-in-cheek talk in the Linux community for a while now that Microsoft will eventually just turn Windows into a Linux based system. So who knows! They keep adding more stuff to WSL.

Top Bottom
1 2