Windows Vista

U

User 189

Windows 11 is on course to receive a similar rep, mostly because of the TPM requirements. This may not turn out to be the catastrophe that tech circles are predicting though, because most people are using laptops now anyway and laptops have had TPM for quite a while, since it's mandated by MS.
Windows 11 is a lot like Windows Vista 2.0 in the sense that people are ragging on it for its high system requirements, but then everything will calm down after release. Windows Vista had too low system requirements which resulted in slow performance.
That was another problem. There were computers being sold with XP but they had a "Windows Vista Capable" sticker on them prior to Vista's release. Turns out they really weren't that capable.
windowsvistacapable.jpg
Designed for Windows 10

Windows 11 Capable

Per the usual, most of your mom and pop types ended up buying those, and had nothing but problems from the OS.
Such as me! If only I had known...
Untitled.png

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Windows 11 is a lot like Windows Vista 2.0 in the sense that people are ragging on it for its high system requirements, but then everything will calm down after release. Windows Vista had too low system requirements which resulted in slow performance.

The problem with Win11 is that the requirements are way, WAY too overcautious. If you're able to run Win10 well, there's no reason why you can't run Win11 just as well.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
My kid was assigned a Dell laptop so that he could Zoom into class. What a pile of absolute garbage. The laptop was designed by idiots—the keyboard was shifted left, which meant I kept screwing up every time I tried to type—and it always ran hot.

Meanwhile, Windows is just as dumb and ugly as always, and the driver for the WiFi card would occasionally fail requiring a reboot. I hadn't used a WinTel machine in about five years, and having that farking box in my living room means it will be at least another five.

Renzatic

Reaction score
This video just popped up in my Youtube feed that's weird as shit, yet does an excellent job of explaining my issues with Windows, and why I keep running back to Linux.

U

User 189

This video just popped up in my Youtube feed that's weird as shit, yet does an excellent job of explaining my issues with Windows, and why I keep running back to Linux.

Do you enjoy using Linux? Which distribution do you use? Are they any apps you simply can't run because they aren't compatible with Linux?

Renzatic

Reaction score
Do you enjoy using Linux? Which distribution do you use? Are they any apps you simply can't run because they aren't compatible with Linux?

I use Fedora, though I'm also partial to Pop OS. Or rather, to use it's official named, Pop!_OS.

The only apps I miss that can't be run in Wine are the Affinity programs, which are the only reason why I'd still ever consider running back to Windows. Krita and Inkscape do a solid job of filling in in their absence, but I still prefer Photo and Designer.

Everything else I use has a Linux rev, and most of the time runs a little better here.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I also use Linux and enjoy it. I use Kubuntu. I don’t have any apps that are Windows only that I need. If there is I have a Windows VM I can run them on. (Not counting games)

Renzatic

Reaction score
I also use Linux and enjoy it. I use Kubuntu. I don’t have any apps that are Windows only that I need. If there is I have a Windows VM I can run them on. (Not counting games)

Is Kubuntu still around? I thought it was replaced by KDE Neon a few years back.

U

User 189

I actually use the Zorin OS theme on my machine. I considered using it, but I like the default Gnome 40 setup.

View attachment 6957
Zorin OS has become much better over the years, especially version 16 (the latest version of Zorin OS as of typing this reply).

Renzatic

Reaction score
Zorin OS has become much better over the years, especially version 16 (the latest version of Zorin OS as of typing this reply).

I'm not against using it. It just doesn't offer anything overly compelling to me at the moment.

If I were to distro hop, I'd probably run over to an Arch based setup.

Top Bottom
1 2