Windows Vista

U

User 189

Just out of curiosity, has anybody here used Windows Vista? Did you like it or not? I'm mostly asking this question because YouTube recently recommended me this video. 😅

Personally, Windows Vista is what made me switch to OS X in the first place.

U

User.191

Just out of curiosity, has anybody here used Windows Vista? Did you like it or not? I'm mostly asking this question because YouTube recently recommended me this video. 😅

I'm one of the 72 people who apparently wasn't too upset by it.

At the time it was totally different from XP so it was a somewhat wrlcome change.

You Tube must think you're very strange to have offered you that. Personally I get recommended videos of car crashes, mass murderers and fluffy bunny rabbits.

U

User 189

I'm one of the 72 people who apparently wasn't too upset by it.

At the time it was totally different from XP so it was a somewhat wrlcome change.

You Tube must think you're very strange to have offered you that. Personally I get recommended videos of car crashes, mass murderers and fluffy bunny rabbits.
I've been recommended videos like this before. The algorithm isn't perfect.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had Vista on a home desktop for years. People told me I was supposed to hate it but I had few issues with it.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Had a laptop that came with Vista. I didn’t think it was that terrible. Though I do understand it probably ran poorly on older computers that were running XP.

U

User.191

Had a laptop that came with Vista. I didn’t think it was that terrible. Though I do understand it probably ran poorly on older computers that were running XP.
I think it was the ‘Glass’ effect handling that caused those problems. We had the same issue with an HP Laptop and it would do much better IIRC when we turned that effect off.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it was the ‘Glass’ effect handling that caused those problems. We had the same issue with an HP Laptop and it would do much better IIRC when we turned that effect off.
Yep, you definitely needed some decent GPU power to run that smoothly. Only some of the newer higher end models seemed to be able to do it well.

U

User.191

Yep, you definitely needed some decent GPU power to run that smoothly. Only some of the newer higher end models seemed to be able to do it well.
Didn’t stop most of us trying though.

I do feel looking back that perhaps that was an effect too far after coming from XP. XP had big friendly graphics that had to have been much easier to render - with so many machines being out there at the time that were designed to handle XP with ease I have to wonder if MS forced an issue before the cards were truely ready, then dropped it again soon afterwards.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Didn’t stop most of us trying though.

I do feel looking back that perhaps that was an effect too far after coming from XP. XP had big friendly graphics that had to have been much easier to render - with so many machines being out there at the time that were designed to handle XP with ease I have to wonder if MS forced an issue before the cards were truely ready, then dropped it again soon afterwards.
That definitely was part of the problem.

U

User.45

Personally, Windows Vista is what made me switch to OS X in the first place.

It only took a good 10 years to reach the fluidity they are trying to sell in that commercial.:D

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Vista was not quite as bad as people like to remember. There were some technical reasons (driver signing requirements and built-in DRM for the first time were the notable ones I can remember) why it had problems running on certain configurations and, despite the initial niggles being fixed pretty quickly, it never recovered from its bad rep.

I remember well the hate against Vista. The OEMs, as cheap as they tend to be, released a bunch of budget "Vista-compliant" machines that fell well short of the recommended specs. Per the usual, most of your mom and pop types ended up buying those, and had nothing but problems from the OS.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I remember well the hate against Vista. The OEMs, as cheap as they tend to be, released a bunch of budget "Vista-compliant" machines that fell well short of the recommended specs. Per the usual, most of your mom and pop types ended up buying those, and had nothing but problems from the OS.
That was another problem. There were computers being sold with XP but they had a "Windows Vista Capable" sticker on them prior to Vista's release. Turns out they really weren't that capable.
windowsvistacapable.jpg

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
That was another problem. There were computers being sold with XP but they had a "Windows Vista Capable" sticker on them prior to Vista's release. Turns out they really weren't that capable.

Yup. That's what I was talking about. They couldn't display any Aero effects, and generally ran like ass in molasses.

Top Bottom
1 2