With Friends Like These…

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It doesn't take much research to find the likes of Warnock has been on board with BBB early on, and staked his rep on it's possible passing.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1453832803775356930/

The logic of putting it up for a vote, as Bernie puts it, is make those who don't want to go along explain their decision. The frustrating thing in all of this has been anyone who's opposed not making a clear argument why, and how to fix it. Sinema has been roasted for her avoidance to even try to explain. Manchin kept moving goalposts so much, it was like he reinvented the shellgame with goal posts. Only to find out his so called reasoning was full of shit, and his actual hangup is still clinging to racial tropes about "welfare queens". While others hid like roaches in the dark, while the light shined on Manchin & Sinema.

For those staying quiet, it's time to speak up. You can't fix something to one's liking, if one doesn't tell you what they don't like. The only thing worse is for some asshat to tell you what they don't like, in good faith you try to accommodate, only to find out they never had any intention of really dealing with you.

Sure it may piss off Manchin, but at this point who gives an F? The man literally went on Fox News, to cry about something upset him so much, so he finally discovered the sack to be honest with everyone after a year of bullshitting on FOX NEWS. Let him be mad. Dems also need to figure out how to work without him. Let him deal with his constituents that are starting to realize that they guy they voted for who lives on a yacht & drives a Maserati paid for by lobbying interests isn't really for them. It was clear from the start the majority ( which includes constituents of BOTH parties ) of his state wanted BBB, but I guess who the F are they right?

Seriously, the imagery of constituents pulling up in kayaks to his yacht to plead for BBB, has to be one of the more bizarre political spectacles of the year. Which sums up the man & his real concerns.

Keep in mind. The real issue with Manchin isn't solely his opposition. That is two different issues. With his opposition, it's that ONE man from a state that does relatively poorly in many metrics that could be improved, voted in by a couple of hundred thousand people. Can thwart the will of the President, his party, and the near eighty million who voted for that party & president. That's so astronomically lopsided it's offensive in a supposed democracy. With Manchin, the issue of course is the guy lied for nearly a year, gave others the impression that he negotiated in good faith, all to be the center of attention. If I didn't know any better I'd swear the guy learned politics on PRSI.

As I said, they should also publicly vote on the major line items.

There’s a distinct difference between

“It just adds too much to the debt”

AND

Do you want your constituents to have

Child tax credit: “No”
Paid family leave: “No”
Eye and dental coverage added to Medicare: “No”
Medicare for all/Single payer: “No”
Reduced medication prices: “No”
Government bargaining on medication prices: “No”
Free junior college: “No”
$15 per hour minimum wage: “No”
Incentives for climate change initiatives: “No”
Etc

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
LOL.

8B34C9DD-6ADF-44AE-BEB3-4946F96C786E.jpeg

I can hear Manchin in my mind saying it in a high, nasal voice. 😄

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Hey, look, another "main stream" news establishment propagandizer who thinks at least 60% of the country must be far-left extremists, or at least that's the only conclusion you can make when you look at his statements compared to the polling numbers on what specifically is in the BBB bill. He must not have access to those polls. I can't imagine the embarrassment he'll be feeling when they show them to him. I'd be quite mad for not being shown those polls before the opinion piece was published. Nobody likes looking like an idiot.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Hey, look, another "main stream" news establishment propagandizer who thinks at least 60% of the country must be far-left extremists, or at least that's the only conclusion you can make when you look at his statements compared to the polling numbers on what specifically is in the BBB bill. He must not have access to those polls. I can't imagine the embarrassment he'll be feeling when they show them to him. I'd be quite mad for not being shown those polls before the opinion piece was published. Nobody likes looking like an idiot.
There was a piece from a Ben Ritz, who is part of group called the “Progressive Policy Institute” talking about how Joe Manchin actually did Biden a favor.

I wondered how could a progressive write things like:

Unlike those on the left now unleashing their righteous wrath on Mr. Manchin, I have long sympathized with his objections to this approach, as well as his concerns about inflation and the unsustainable growth of our national debt.
Then I looked up the group. They are a “centrist” Democratic think tank. Funny how they picked the name progressive while fighting to keep taxes low for corporations, and screaming that BBB will cause inflation to skyrocket.

They seem like Manchin Democrats, not progressives at all.

Again, all of this is about how they could convince Manchin to do something. I think @JayMysteri0 laid out perfectly why it’s absurd that everybody has to convince a Senator who got 290K votes in 2018 to approve the agenda of the President, who is of the same party and got 81 million votes in 2020.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
There was a piece from a Ben Ritz, who is part of group called the “Progressive Policy Institute” talking about how Joe Manchin actually did Biden a favor.

I wondered how could a progressive write things like:

Then I looked up the group. They are a “centrist” Democratic think tank. Funny how they picked the name progressive while fighting to keep taxes low for corporations, and screaming that BBB will cause inflation to skyrocket.

They seem like Manchin Democrats, not progressives at all.

Again, all of this is about how they could convince Manchin to do something. I think @JayMysteri0 laid out perfectly why it’s absurd that we have to convince a Senator who got 290K votes in 2018 to approve the agenda of the President, who is of the same party and got 81 million votes in 2020.

It’s kind of like “The Federalist Society” which is anti-federal government while drawing their inspiration from The Federalist Papers which is actually pro-federal government.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Well, there is an Apple angle to this story. I heard Apple had been lobbying against Build Back Better, and this might explain why.

Now the decision on going to court is likely to come in March or later because of continued discussions about where to file and who will make the call, the two people told POLITICO. They spoke anonymously to discuss internal DOJ deliberations. Another major concern for the department is the likely expense of a court battle with the two companies, each of which has a market value exceeding $1 trillion. That issue became more fraught this week when Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) torpedoed Democrats’ Build Back Better package, which would have given DOJ a $500 million boost for antitrust enforcement.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
A few weeks after nuking the Democratic Build Back Better Agenda live on Fox News, Sen. Joe Manchin would like you to know the climate part is a piece of cake.

The West Virginia senator spoke with reporters on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, where he was predictably barraged by questions about what the hell is going on with the Build Back Better Act, the centerpiece of what could be a transformative Democratic agenda. The legislation passed the House before getting bogged down in the Senate, where Democrats hold a razor-thin majority, as Manchin and Sen. Kyrsten Sinema slowly hacked away at it. (Republicans, for their part, have just stood by with zero intent to engage.)

Manchin said negotiations have not restarted on the act itself. But he did throw in the following tidbit, according to Politico: “I think that the climate thing is one that we probably can come to agreement much easier than anything else.”

This is decidedly curious for a few reasons, chief among them being how Manchin has treated the climate provisions in the act. Among the provisions Manchin has reportedly opposed at one point or another are a clean energy standard (the act’s strongest climate provision), tax credits for union-made electric vehicles, and a fee on methane. Manchin’s obstruction—which, it should be noted, lines up extremely well with dirty oil companies’ and utilities’ priorities—already left the U.S. compromised at international climate talks in November.

Joe?

stfu.gif

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Joe Manchin made a “counter offer” to the BBB plan, with a $1.8 trillion price tag. But it looks like he is going to reject his own offer? 🤦‍♂️

“A $1.8 trillion package along the lines of what Manchin offered last month would be one of the most transformative, progressive pieces of legislation in modern history,” said Ben Ritz, a budget expert at the Progressive Policy Institute, a D.C. think tank. “The White House should absolutely take it if they can.”

But for several reasons, it is unclear whether the White House could accept Manchin’s plan, even if it wanted to — not the least of which is the confusion now over whether Manchin would vote to approve it.

(paywall removed)

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2