With Friends Like These…

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey, I admitted I was on the struggle bus with the punctuation in that sentence. :)

There is an easy solution to that. Win more seats in 2022. It will still be there in a year and if you win enough seats, then it will pass. Do you not think the Dems can pick up 2 measly Senate seats? And hold on to their majority in the House?

And sadly your last sentence works both ways. :(

History isn’t on Democrats’ side when it comes to keeping control of Congress or expanding control, and unlike past years when “lose some/win some” could apply, many feel the current Republican party will be well into dismantling democracy to the point that there will never be a “win some” for Democrats again.

I don’t think I’ve heard anything on economic relief from the Republican side of the table. You can’t fix our economic problems by deporting Mexicans and elevating the status of white people and they know that. I think the elder statesmen on the right have developed a “I’ll be dead when shit really hits the fan. So why should I care.” attitude and while maybe not completely ignoring future generations, feel they can just dig themselves out of the massive crater they created. “Kids today are too soft. Let’s destroy the economy and our planet. That’ll toughen them up.”

And I agree, a Democrat congress doesn't want to give a Republican President a win either, but a Republican Congress is quite skilled at steamrolling their agenda right over Democrats. Maybe Democrats think they will get something in return despite that never happening on economic issues. You can have gay marriage, now shut your pie hole. And the ACA was far from an economic win, for many it was actually a loss.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
No, it's "Fuck Joe Biden". The cadence is off without the "Joe" in there.

And it wasn't started by Republicans, but by college kids who tend to be more liberal, at football games.* I guess even they know what a clown he is.

The "Let's go Brandon" came about when NBC reporter Kelli Stavast was interviewing NASCAR driver Brandon Brown who just won his first race at Talladega. The crowd was loudly chanting "Fuck Joe Biden" and it could be heard in the background on the telecast, so she tried to make light of it by saying they were chanting "Let's Go Brandon."

And from there, a cottage industry was born making t-shirts, mugs etc. So you could say that Biden is helping the economy and putting people to work.

But sure, attack the phrase all the while ignoring the reason it has become a thing which is he has been a trainwreck. And the MSM is finally starting to see it or figures they can't hide it anymore.

* Yes it could have been by Republican college kids, but to get that loud at those stadiums it would have be more than the College Republican'vs club. Would have put it up there, but was driving the struggle bus on punctuation in that sentence already.

I think it's hilarious that you think football-game-attending college kids can't be vapid conservatives, especially at Auburn and Texas A&M.

And, yes, the NBC reporter was either trying to keep the FCC off the network's ass (you can't say fuck on the network) or she literally couldn't understand what the hell they were saying. The fact that this is supposed to be a clever just shows that the GQP is all edgelord meming rather than a serious party.

As for the economy, you know all that shit's made in China, right? Like Donald Trump's hats?

Has Biden stumbled? Yeah. And, notably lots of journalists are writing and talking about his mistakes, as well as his successes. But, to mumble about the "MSM is finally starting to see it" is the same Hormel chili you've been trying to serve for years. There's no such thing as the MSM.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
And, yes, the NBC reporter was either trying to keep the FCC off the network's ass (you can't say fuck on the network) or she literally couldn't understand what the hell they were saying. The fact that this is supposed to be a clever just shows that the GQP is all edgelord meming rather than a serious party.
If she couldn't tell what they were saying, she must be deaf. If you watch the NBC clip, they even show video of the crowd and you can clearly tell what they were chanting.

I don't remember which football game where the announcers apologized for the language, but the producers did nothing to lower the crowd noise level.

There's no such thing as the MSM.

Pew Research disagrees:

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
If she couldn't tell what they were saying, she must be deaf. If you watch the NBC clip, they even show video of the crowd and you can clearly tell what they were chanting.

I don't remember which football game where the announcers apologized for the language, but the producers did nothing to lower the crowd noise level.

Pew Research disagrees:

Oh, dude. My dude. You gotta read what you post. Pew research found that _Americans_ believe in MSM. Not that there is one.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score

Pew Research disagrees:

It was Auburn, read @JayMysteri0 post.

And, the poll doesn't show that there is a such thing as mainstream media, rather it asks people to identify whether they think outlets belong to the mainstream media.

As the poll notes "overall, a majority of Americans consider seven of these outlets to be part of the mainstream media."

In other words, taught to identify that there exists a thing as mainstream media, people instinctually identify which outlets are mainstream. Which is unsurprising.

I don't think there's a mainstream media, because I can identify the wide and diverse amount of media outlets. Notice, they didn't ask people about local newspapers, public media, etc.

Of course, if you want to accept this idea, then you must accept that Fox News is part of the mainstream. Ergo, your above statement "and the MSM is finally starting to see it or figures they can't hide it anymore" is obviously wrong.

I sustain my point that the phrase MSM is useless and tells us more about the person using it than operates as an actual description for anything beyond "media outlets I don't like."

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Perception is their reality.

This has been a consistent and fascinating idea that you often make—perception trumps reality. I keep pushing back, but I suspect we have a slightly different worldview. I accept that there's objective reality and that perception can be right or wrong, and that even in politics, if a majority of people are wrong, they're still wrong. You push the idea that reality is formed by perception, and thus, objective reality doesn't really exist.

It's an interesting philosophical discussion that underlies a lot of this.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
This has been a consistent and fascinating idea that you often make—perception trumps reality. I keep pushing back, but I suspect we have a slightly different worldview. I accept that there's objective reality and that perception can be right or wrong, and that even in politics, if a majority of people are wrong, they're still wrong. You push the idea that reality is formed by perception, and thus, objective reality doesn't really exist.

It's an interesting philosophical discussion that underlies a lot of this.

Especially on a topic like "if" the MSM actually exists. There really is no correct answer as there isn't some standards body declaring who is part of it and who isn't. But of a majority of people believe that certain news outlets are part of what they deem as the MSM, then for them that is their reality.

I personally think if you have a WH press credential, you are part of it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Especially on a topic like "if" the MSM actually exists. There really is no correct answer as there isn't some standards body declaring who is part of it and who isn't. But of a majority of people believe that certain news outlets are part of what they deem as the MSM, then for them that is their reality.

Other than the White House press corps being members, what does membership entail? Do they have meetings? Do they have a board that meets and tells them what to say? How is Steve Doocy allowed in the club? If Trump hated the mythical MSM so much, why did he let them all keep their WH press credentials? If this is truly your belief, surely you’ve thought about these things.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Taking truthiness out of the equation, I think MSMNBC and Fox are massive trigger propaganda machines for opposite ends of the spectrum. But until recently all networks regardless of political leaning campaigned against FREE STUFF. The only reason the lefty media has somewhat backed off that, or in some cases embraced it, is because their rich taskmasters realize that sooner than later the masses are going to start going to them with torches and pitchforks if they don’t back off with their “screw the middle class and lower with your problems!” propaganda. Now when there’s “rich person does this neat thing” news stories the public response is swiftly filled with “What an asshole!” We’re no longer amused with the disconnected fantasy world they live in.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Clarification. Yes it was started by college kids at a college football game.

Yes, college kids tend to be more liberal.

No. It was NOT by college kids "who tend" to be more liberal.

It was started at college games with students of schools that are very White, some with their own "interesting" history with race.

What was interesting was too see who eagerly embraced this action by students at a sporting event.

Followed by what side of the political spectrum that used to lament such talk from others? Now of course because of our society it's a thing that catches on, so it spreads to other avenues. It's clear though for those who champion this, what the sentiment behind it is for many of those who now parrot it. For them it isn't some viral catchy thing, it's them verbally pissing on the ground to once again show who they truly align with despite unconvincing cries of being independent otherwise.

Which of course will inevitably lead to a response of sorts... Where it's migrated to pro football, ...and even golf?

Thing to note is of course what day it started on, just to emphasize all the faux patriotism of all those who continue to do it now.

So while it maybe comforting to hide behind all of this starting from "some crazy college kids", don't you or anyone else fool yourselves more than necessary. No one else is buying the same delusion. It was started by a particular crowd, who empathize a particular strain of thought, and find such actions NOW entertaining. Actions a year or two ago they would have found abhorrent & clutched pearls IF it had happened the way it has now.

I'll take my knee on the way out.

I just recalled another racist crowd moment on opening day of the NFL season right after KC won the super bowl.

Your team just won the super bowl… the first game back and you boo them because they oppose racism…. And this is why Missouri earned its reputation.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I just recalled another racist crowd moment on opening day of the NFL season right after KC won the super bowl.

Your team just won the super bowl… the first game back and you boo them because they oppose racism…. And this is why Missouri earned its reputation.
Don't forget who their QB was that led them to the SuperBowl and won MVP.

man-facepalming-medium-dark-skin-tone_1f926-1f3fe-200d-2642-fe0f.png

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Don't forget who their QB was that led them to the SuperBowl and won MVP.

man-facepalming-medium-dark-skin-tone_1f926-1f3fe-200d-2642-fe0f.png
They start their games by beating on a huge drum made to look like a Native American drum… and do a tomahawk chop. The WFT had a more racist name, but the traditions of KC fans are more racist than what you used to see at Red***ns games.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Bernie wrote an Op-Ed in the local paper:

Manchin responded:

I believe the "out-of-stater" her is referring to is VP Harris when she came to the state last spring.

Not looking good to change his mind.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Joe Manchin opposes climate legislation. Meanwhile, residents of his state are having their lives destroyed by climate change. He doesn’t care about the residents of WV. He cares about his investment in a coal company and the money coming into his campaign from fossil fuel interests.

Mr. Manchin has rejected any plan to move the country away from fossil fuels because he said it would harm West Virginia, a top producer of coal and gas. Mr. Manchin’s own finances are tied to coal: he founded a family coal brokerage that paid him half a million dollars in dividends last year.

But when it comes to climate, there’s also an economic toll from inaction.

The new data shows that Mr. Manchin’s constituents stand to suffer disproportionately as climate change intensifies. Unlike those in other flood-exposed states, most residents in mountainous West Virginia have little room to relocate from the waterways that increasingly threaten their safety.

Top Bottom
1 2