World Cup 2022

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yes I'm caving in again.... and so watching World Cup on Peacock (Spanish language narration) and laughing at the commercials for Agua Fresca, playing to a bilingual audience, e.g. "bold AF, "refreshing AF"...... anyway today we find out how Canada will fare v Croatia. In initial matches Canada lost to Belgium, Croatia scoreless draw v Morocco.

Edit: heh, so far this is not going exactly how I expected. I'm a fan of that though, so all good.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yes I'm caving in again.... and so watching World Cup on Peacock (Spanish language narration) and laughing at the commercials for Agua Fresca, playing to a bilingual audience, e.g. "bold AF, "refreshing AF"...... anyway today we find out how Canada will fare v Croatia. In initial matches Canada lost to Belgium, Croatia scoreless draw v Morocco.

Edit: heh, so far this is not going exactly how I expected. I'm a fan of that though, so all good.
I’m watching (via antenna) my local Telemundo station. I did so originally because they carry games that the local Fox station doesn’t. But, after listening to the painful commentary from (I assume) a retired American soccer player on the Fox broadcast the other day, I switched back to Telemundo. I might only understand a few words in Spanish, but they bring lots more energy and they sure know how to call a GOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’m watching (via antenna) my local Telemundo station. I did so originally because they carry games that the local Fox station doesn’t. But, after listening to the painful commentary from (I assume) a retired American soccer player on the Fox broadcast the other day, I switched back to Telemundo. I might only understand a few words in Spanish, but they bring lots more energy and they sure know how to call a GOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!

They probably have several, but I know Cobie Jones is doing play by play and Landon Donovan is in the studio,

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It's the sheer exuberance of the Spanish narrators. They're zealous about the game like they just got religion and the whole world needs to get on board.

Just glad it not in South Africa again with those damn horns. :)

lizkat

Reaction score
Just glad it not in South Africa again with those damn horns. :)

The only way to go is with earplugs! I can't stand even really loud whistling at baseball games, I always took earplugs with me, even to minor league games. Sure, I'd cheer when a home team batter parked one over the wall or the guys made a double play. But 120-decibel shriek-whistles? Just no.

With the 2022 World Cup, I noticed a lot of whistling the other night watching a replay of the Germany-Japan match, and felt really bad for anyone w/o ear protection.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Accidentally experienced the better part of the first half of South Korea-Ghana. Had a bit of a craving for pasta carbonara and didn’t realize the place was screening the game until after I’d ordered. 😂

lizkat

Reaction score
Accidentally experienced the better part of the first half of South Korea-Ghana. Had a bit of a craving for pasta carbonara and didn’t realize the place was screening the game until after I’d ordered. 😂

I usually end up watching replays from archive because it's just simpler.

But I was ticked the other night when watching replay of a game I didn't know the score of, and around the half time I paused the playback, picked up my phone to check the weather and the 🤬Washington Post had put up a notification with the final score, which was sitting on my lockscreen. Arggh.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I usually end up watching replays from archive because it's just simpler.

But I was ticked the other night when watching replay of a game I didn't know the score of, and around the half time I paused the playback, picked up my phone to check the weather and the 🤬Washington Post had put up a notification with the final score, which was sitting on my lockscreen. Arggh.
I feel your pain.

lizkat

Reaction score
Lotta ups and downs in the crunch from groups into round-of-16 matches starting Saturday...

lizkat

Reaction score
So brackets are fully defined now for start of round of 16... and everything's must-win starting tomorrow...

round of 16 - WC 2022.jpg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Horrible draw for the USA. IF they get past Netherlands, they will most likely face an aggravated Argentina. That won’t go well.

lizkat

Reaction score
Horrible draw for the USA. IF they get past Netherlands, they will most likely face an aggravated Argentina. That won’t go well.

US players will have to watch themselves not to get suspended: four of them got a yellow card each, playing against Wales. Yellow cards carry over from the group matches to round of 16. Clean slate applies at quarterfinals.

On the upside (maybe): US coach Berhalter played for the Netherlands out of college, and a couple other US players have played for them in the past. A little inside knowledge might help here and there.

Reaching: the flu already went through the US team, but just this week hit the first of the Dutch players...

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2