WSJ Tells Dr. Jill Biden to drop the Dr...because it's in Education.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
What’s next, the president eating some Jell-o pudding pops at the desk in the Oval Office?

I'm hoping part of Barr's leaving wasn't related to something like "I can't have anything to do with this list of pardons this jackass wants to run out there."

Probably I don't want to see a list of those proposed pardons, and I don't know what to think about advice Trump will get on them from DOJ's Office of Legal Counsel under Rosen as AG now.

People are talking about Barr having been canned and so forth, and Trump writing that lackey-style resignation letter for him to sign. But Barr was likely getting exasperated by what all Trump was wanting to do lately, a lot of it just wanting to burn the house down in his rage over losing re-election. We probably don't know the half of it.

Also Barr still probably had a few more things he wanted to do to re-org the DoJ to make it less independent and more under control of a strong executive branch... having to spend time babysitting Trump's doubtless illegal brainfarts about "oh i know what i could do next to fix Biden's wagon, I could yada yada..," was probably maddening.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm hoping part of Barr's leaving wasn't related to something like "I can't have anything to do with this list of pardons this jackass wants to run out there."

Probably I don't want to see a list of those proposed pardons, and I don't know what to think about advice Trump will get on them from DOJ's Office of Legal Counsel under Rosen as AG now.

People are talking about Barr having been canned and so forth, and Trump writing that lackey-style resignation letter for him to sign. But Barr was likely getting exasperated by what all Trump was wanting to do lately, a lot of it just wanting to burn the house down in his rage over losing re-election. We probably don't know the half of it.

Also Barr still probably had a few more things he wanted to do to re-org the DoJ to make it less independent and more under control of a strong executive branch... having to spend time babysitting Trump's doubtless illegal brainfarts about "oh i know what i could do next to fix Biden's wagon, I could yada yada..," was probably maddening.

Nevertheless, I would also draw attention to the timing, and the fawning, sycophantic and servile tone of the resignation letter.

I doubt that this is a case where we debate whether he fell, jumped or was pushed (or is simply a Republican rodent abandoning a listing and sinking ship), rather, I think that the timing is significant.

What could possibly draw the headlines away from the fact that the Electoral College - met that very same day, in a session that is normally a formality, a legal and political exercise in rubber-stamping the election to office of the candidate who secured most of the electoral college votes, but, which this year, on account of the veritable tsunami of insane legal challenges to the result of the election assumed a greater political significance than usual - met and formally confirmed the election results, resulting in the formal affirmation of Mr Biden as President-Elect?

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
If the establishment Democrats keep pushing their meritocracy this will be a moot point soon enough because you’ll need a PhD just to qualify for a job bagging groceries.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
School Superintendents commonly used the doctor honorific. I think its use is a bit pretentious outside of one’s course of employment.
And narrative Fox News and their ilk would've never pushed had Jill been a Conservative. It's partisan and petty.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
And naarrative Fox News and their ilk would've never pushed had Jill been a Conservative. It's partisan and petty.

No, CNN would have.

But putting that aside, using the title outside of employment is still pretentious. Doctors are a dime a dozen and I don’t know anyone who uses it outside of their employment...including medical doctors.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
No, CNN would have.

But putting that aside, using the title outside of employment is still pretentious. Doctors are a dime a dozen and I don’t know anyone who uses it outside of their employment...including medical doctors.
Whataboutism, this is about Fox News (particularly Sean Hannity) losing his collective shit over a technicality and attacking her with vigor, she's done nothing to any of these people and devoted most of her life to education. Don't put this on CNN.

Last edited:
U

User.45

I think its use is a bit pretentious outside of one’s course of employment.
No, CNN would have.

I agree. I know a few people (usually juris doctors) who include that in their FB names. It is a universal indicator of folks who aren't the sharpest and trying to compensate. On the other hand they have the right to use the title. The guys criticizing her don't. Period.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Look, if you want Sean Hannity to take a stand on your behalf then sexually assault women, murder unarmed black people or try to overturn the will of the people. But if you're a Democratic woman and put DR next to your name when you have a PHD the gloves come off.

Last edited:

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
But if you're a Democratic woman and put DR next to your name when you have a PHD and the gloves come off.

I think you over-estimate the impact of the woman part there. Hannity insults men too. He just tunes the insults differently. The only thing these guys care about is getting a reaction from their followers. If it was a female Republican, Hannity would talk that aspect up and argue that Democrats don't really support women or something like that. Any justification on any point is just patched in to fit the narrative. In this case, talking about Joe Biden probably bored his viewers, so he looked for a different target to hate on and slapped a few talking points together.

U

User.45

I think you over-estimate the impact of the woman part there. Hannity insults men too. He just tunes the insults differently. The only thing these guys care about is getting a reaction from their followers. If it was a female Republican, Hannity would talk that aspect up and argue that Democrats don't really support women or something like that. Any justification on any point is just patched in to fit the narrative. In this case, talking about Joe Biden probably bored his viewers, so he looked for a different target to hate on and slapped a few talking points together.
I think this statements applies widely:

1608241269684.png

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Look, if you want Sean Hannity to take a stand on your behalf then sexually assault women, murder unarmed black people or try to overturn the will of the people. But if you're a Democratic woman and put DR next to your name when you have a PHD and the gloves come off.
Agreed.

Actually, I beg to differ, as the gendered nature of the condescension is the very point - the whole point - of the exercise.

A man would not be attacked thus, (in my teaching days, one of the people I briefly worked for was a boorish, alcoholic, and yes, exceptionally misogynistic male professor whose office door bore the unforgettable legend "Dr ------ MA Ph.D", which nobody remarked upon but which left me gobsmacked), not unless he was - or is - from a minority ethnic group, or from a lower class, background.

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
Whataboutism, this is about Fox News (particularly Sean Hannity) losing his collective shit over a technicality and attacking her with vigor, she's done nothing to any of these people and devoted most of her life to education. Don't put this on CNN.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I clearly spoke about my opinion of the use of honorific. You brought up FOX for some reason. I’ve only read the editorial by Joseph Epstein that the WSJ published.

You claimed the WSJ would not have run the editorial if Biden was a conservative. You‘re right CNN would have run it instead. Wasn’t your point that politics permeates the news?

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
I agree. I know a few people (usually juris doctors) who include that in their FB names. It is a universal indicator of folks who aren't the sharpest and trying to compensate. On the other hand they have the right to use the title. The guys criticizing her don't. Period.

I’ve never seen a JD use anything but JD...except a few guys who liked to use Esquire. I laugh at that too.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
School Superintendents commonly used the doctor honorific. I think its use is a bit pretentious outside of one’s course of employment.

My superintendent did too. Again, use of the honorific is pompous outside of employment.
I’ve never known of a superintendent to use “doctor” unless he or she HAD a doctorate. For instance the current superintendent of our district has no Ph.D. Nor does he have an Ed.D. So he is always called Mr. It’s all he’s entitled to.

Top Bottom
1 2