WWDC 2021

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
So, a few videos are popping up on Youtube now about WWDC. Some complaining, some not. All revolved around the M1 Chip and it's supposed promise.

For me personally, I said it before. I get a new iPad every 2 years. I didn't get one last year, because I love my 2018, and they still haven't topped it. So all the talk about M1 chips doing this & that mean nothing to me, I only wanted the extra ram and better screen on the latest version. So for WWDC's real appeal to me is what is possible with Universal.

Which this Youtube video covers at 5:30

The possibilities because of what we DON'T know right now, are exciting. Can I start something in a program I do prefer on iPad, then move that project over to my M1 Macbook Air and finish it in a Mac OS program? đź‘€ A program I have on the Mac is paid for, but on iPad it's a subscription version. So could I do something in Procreate, get it started, then move it to Mac OS Clip Studio Paint, and get even more resources to work with? The things this may make easier with a little creativity is interesting.

The reviewer also points out MY constant refrain. They did Universal in the Mac section of WWDC, NOT iPadOS. Meaning it looks like I've always said, Apple does NOT intend for the iPad to replace but complement. If you make a studio, having an iMac & iPad Pro maybe the perfect combination, not wishing one did what the other did.

D

Deleted member 199

So could I do something in Procreate, get it started, then move it to Mac OS Clip Studio Paint, and get even more resources to work with? The things this may make easier with a little creativity is interesting.
... isn't what you're describing already available via Handoff/Continuity?

Or do you mean to have the editing process being done on the Mac, but your input is still the iPad? They mention about typing from a Mac and the text appears on the iPad in the Monterey 'features' page, but not specifically the other way around

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
... isn't what you're describing already available via Handoff/Continuity?

Or do you mean to have the editing process being done on the Mac, but your input is still the iPad? They mention about typing from a Mac and the text appears on the iPad in the Monterey 'features' page, but not specifically the other way around
As he points out, it would be more seamless here. It takes a few more steps now to move files. I pretty much just use drop box now, but have hit my limit. Handoff didn't really allow me to just move a project from one active program to another from what I recall.

D

Deleted member 199

The thing is there wasn't even a promise. Apple promises nothing until they announce it. People just came up with this delusion that Apple was going to announce MacOS on the iPad and then got super butthurt when it didn't happen.
Wait you mean we're supposed to wait until a company commits to doing something before we ourselves hyped up about it and base our life decisions on an eventuality that may never come to pass?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It does work, but I haven't done it in a while. I bought an apple TV for my residents and the hospital didn't allow us access to the wired or wireless network, so we used it only for Airplay via bluetooth (Airplay 1). It worked fine.
An AppleTV uses BT to negotiate an AirPlay connection then WiFI in AdHoc mode for data from the streaming device. So you don't have to be connected to the same network, but it does use WiFi.

There was actually a revision mid-model to the 3rd Gen that allowed this, and of course all models forward.

I've done presentations where I bring my own ATV and use it as an AirPlay target - with neither on the local network - so I can be a little more tactical with my notebook position.

Maybe it's the model I have. I'm not sure which it is. They haven't exactly been an instabuy upgrade inspiration for years. What I've been doing instead is running the HDMI dongle out of my iPhone with a cable.

I'm sure the next Apple TV will probably be something like 12k, even though anything beyond 4k is imperceivable to every living creature except the mantis shrimp.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
The thing is there wasn't even a promise. Apple promises nothing until they announce it. People just came up with this delusion that Apple was going to announce MacOS on the iPad and then got super butthurt when it didn't happen.

Pretty much. All iPadOS really needed to be considered "pro" is better multitasking, and a proper file system, which, as of now, it pretty much has. Now, the only thing holding the iPad back is Apple's tight sphincter over what can be considered an "ipad app" on the app store.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. All iPadOS really needed to be considered "pro" is better multitasking, and a proper file system, which, as of now, it pretty much has. Now, the only thing holding the iPad back is Apple's tight sphincter over what can be considered an "ipad app" on the app store.

I don't see them changing that policy unless forced to. Having control over what you can run on their hardware benefits them due to lower perceived security risks and their ability to monetize their position as gatekeeper. With a lot of hardware being in a state of good enough from the standpoint of processing power, app store fees are a good point of growth.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I want my iPad to be a Macbook lol
giphy.gif

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Has Apple created iMessage for Android yet? lol
They have FaceTime links for Android users now…

Invite anyone to FaceTime​

Now you can send friends and family a link to connect on FaceTime — even if they’re using Windows or Android.1 And it’s still end-to-end encrypted, so your call is as private and secure as any other FaceTime call.

Found on this page:

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
They have FaceTime links for Android users now…

Found on this page:

Yes, I am waiting for iMessage for Android so some of my friends can be included in the iMessage fun.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I don't know if I get the Hide My Mail thing... if you've got a raft of setups that use a particular email address, It's out there and what good is it to suddenly start using Hide My Mail for new setups with the randomized HIde My Mail accounts that you then forward to your actual address. Sounds like extra work for.. for what, really? All your old setups have been out there for maybe decades! Who believes all these outfits that say they only use the mail address you provide just to send you renewal notices or requested mail briefing? I guess I have become a real cynic.

D

Deleted member 199

I don't know if I get the Hide My Mail thing...
The concept of an 'alternate' email alias isn't new. Even iCloud supports it - and combined with the + operator you can already get basically the same result from iCloud. What is new here is that Safari/etc will generate automatic random aliases for you, and allow you to label them somewhat clearly.

So it's kind of the same benefit the password suggestion stuff added a few years ago: Nothing stopped a person from using a really random password and having Safari save it - but it was extra work.

D

Deleted member 199

I said:
My advice is to buy as much memory as you can afford, even prioritise it over small CPU bumps

The Apple-Knows-Best crowd said:
pfft. Future proofing is stupid. Apple wouldn't sell a Mac with 8GB if that wasn't enough for the future. 'Future proofing' is a waste of money and doesn't work.

Apple 2020 said:
here are the new M1 Macs, with either 8 or 16GB memory, maximum.

I said:
hold up there. That's not nearly enough at the 'top end'. You better have some higher end options planned.

The Apple-Knows-Best crowd said:
That's silly. 8Gb is plenty and 16GB is more than enough for most tasks, the M1 is practically magic in terms of memory usage.

Apple 2021 said:
by the way some of these new features require 16GB minimum

I said:

Top Bottom
1 2