WWDC 2021

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The concept of an 'alternate' email alias isn't new. Even iCloud supports it - and combined with the + operator you can already get basically the same result from iCloud. What is new here is that Safari/etc will generate automatic random aliases for you, and allow you to label them somewhat clearly.

So it's kind of the same benefit the password suggestion stuff added a few years ago: Nothing stopped a person from using a really random password and having Safari save it - but it was extra work.

Sure but it only applies to correspondence with a new second party... so meanwhile your other address, the underlying one, is out there already, that's all I'm saying. It's sort of the same thing as a bank saying oh you can let us generate a random account number for a credit card transaction so your actual account number isn't bandied about... true but meanwhile your underlying account number is already out there on all your previous transactions.

D

Deleted member 199

Sure but it only applies to correspondence with a new second party... so meanwhile your other address, the underlying one, is out there already, that's all I'm saying
Sure, if you weren't already using one of the existing (mostly manual) methods, it might be a hassle. But doing something now, is still better than never offering a solution. And it's not impossible to change your registered email address with most legitimate businesses/entities.

For example. lizk.at is available. $12 a year gets you a domain, you link it to iCloud, ask close friends/family to use `pawfect@lizk.at`, meanwhile you gradually change other legitimate services to use one of the new 'generated' email addresses.

Eventually the only things going to `lizkat@icloud.com` will be the crap from organisations that bought an email list.

Obviously `lizk.at` is just a silly example. I snagged <my family name>.family a couple of years ago, and will absolutely set it up for this, and depending on how flexible it is, at least give my wife/parents, and possibly brother/father's side of the family I've never met, the option to link it for theirs if they wish.

Top Bottom
1 2