WWDC 2022: What was Announced

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Edit and unsend for Messages.app has a 15 minute time limit, looks like.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There will be inconsolable rage, devastation and huge disappointment that Apple ignored the need to accelerate fish-fingers chess benchmark. Especially when an AMD ryzen laptop can run circles around the m1, has neon blue strip lighting and comes pre-packaged with a nice foot heater/grey power brick.
Don’t get me started about cinebench… I don’t actually use it, but I’m offended and very disappointed that Apple screwed me over by not accelerating it for that toy story film I had planned in my head.
I’ll nurse this disappointment in the corner with a nice Tequillia sunrise and listen to Celine Dion “my heart will go on”.
Is that guy still posting that stuff over there?

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
For the Mac, it's great news for security, because it cuts everything out that doesn't have a T2 or Apple Silicon. It seemed rather arbitrary to cut Macs from before 2017, but looking from that perspective, it makes sense.
The one exception is the iMac, which didn't get a T2 chip until 2020:

... which kinda sucks, because it means I can't watch Netflix in 4k on my 2019 iMac ;):

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is new

1654575996192.png

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Just tried the thing where you can drag objects out of photos. It’s wild.

It gets a little weird with Live Photos - you have to tap and hold but not too long otherwise it starts animating. So you sort of tap-pause-drag before it can animate.

I played with it too. It's very cool. I'm impressed.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Schedule mail sending is one of the best things ever, for the kids who don't get it, you will :D

My brain during that whole segment was: “Oh hey, the nice things about GMail/Outlook/etc that I wished Mail had”

Apple introduced Metal 3, with new tools for game developers, along with upscaling technology. They also had the lead developer for "Resident Evil: Village" on stage to announce an Apple Silicon version. I'm sure the crowd over at MR are going to be pleased by this and not at all irrationally upset. But hey, "Apple doesn't care about gaming".

Yeah, this stuff is important for Apple to do. Upscaling is very useful for making sure that if someone is using a laptop by itself, or attached to a monitor between 1080p to 6K, they can still get good performance. IMO, Apple needs this at least as badly as consoles do, because of all the high-density displays. Apple’s version of “DirectStorage” makes good use of the technology they have in Apple Silicon.

The other thing I’m noticing is that Apple is pretty aggressively scheduling work on the pain points of SwiftUI. While they are bringing some new stuff in the form of Charts, they seem to have spent a good chunk of time addressing the navigation model, windows, toolbars, and the like. These are all things that I’ve banged my head against in my current project.

While I do slightly regret going all-in on SwiftUI on my current project (I didn’t hit the edge cases in SwiftUI 3 until well into the project), I am quite happy seeing that my biggest pet peeves seem to be the headlining changes in the next iteration of SwiftUI. Having worked on large projects, I know full well you can’t just go address everything in one go, but they seem to have a good balance of “things we have to get done“ with “new things that the previous framework doesn’t have built in” which makes me confident that SwiftUI is the future UI framework for Apple platforms, and is worth investing in.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder why, with 1.5 years do do it, Apple didn't update the form factor on the 13" M2 MBP like they did on the M2 Air. Not sure if there were any changes at all, other than the M2.
Because the point of that machine is that it’s cheap, but the trade off is you have the old form factor.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
The M1 MacBook Air serves that purpose too. And it doesn't have a TouchBar. Makes more sense to keep only the M1 Air IMHO, I think that cheap MacBook Pro config will disappear next year.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The M1 MacBook Air serves that purpose too. And it doesn't have a TouchBar. Makes more sense to keep only the M1 Air IMHO, I think that cheap MacBook Pro config will disappear next year.
For sure. It’s stuck around for certain customers but is definitely not a long term member of the family. It’s role will eventually be replaced with “last year’s 14” mbp”

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
iOS 16 Portrait mode now also blurs objects in the focal planes closer to the camera (instead of just blurring the background). Massive improvement in the look of pictures IMHO. Can't believe they didn't mention this in the keynote.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Yep.

Geez, the M2 13" MBP still only has 2 ports, and no mag safe and a 720p vs. 1080P camera! It looks like the M2 MBA is much closer vs. the last iteration, both have 500 nit / P3 displays, the battery life is 18 vs. 20 hours.

Plus, if you go to 16GB memory on the 13" for a closer comparison (and an appropriate amount for "pro" use), then the 14" with an 8/14 core M1 Pro, more ports, larger display, support multiple displays is only $300 more.

The 13" M2 MBP makes zero sense.

It used to distance itself from the MBA product a bit more, for my own personal machine, I'd absolutely go Air over the 13" MBP, this round, where the M1 machines, I might've been given it a little thought (FWIW, we have both an M1 MBA and 13" MBP ...)

I kind of chuckled when I saw the touchbar, I was thinking they might just quietly remove it.

Drop the 13" MBP, add a 15" MBA.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Is that guy still posting that stuff over there?
I'm not sure if "chess guy" is still over at MR. Mi7chy continues proselytizing to Mac plebeians about the good news regarding PCs and how we should change our ways and embrace the one true computing platform. (And probably getting more people banned in the process.) What's remarkable about that poster is that they seem to actually believe that they are doing the right thing for their faith, spreading the good word, and not understanding why people get upset. It's bizarre.

In regards to WWDC, the reaction to Apple's gaming announcement was, unsurprisingly, met with a great deal of angst, tumult, gnashing of teeth, and resulted in a grievousness malady among the peasantry. Not even an ironmonger as skilled as Johny Srouji could calm the common folk. I found great joy in WWDC, only to watch MR toss oily fish rags atop, set it alight, and do a ceremonial dance around its flaming cadaver.

So yeah, MR is still upset about everything Apple announced, as is tradition. Ever since I found this forum, I've spent much less time over there.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, Mi7chy seems like such a sad little person, spending endless cycles on a forum about Apple equipment, tiny fists in the air, stomping their feet, occasionally spouting some technical nonsense. I'm sure they push away from their desk at the call center everyday, convinced they've "owned" the Apple masses, and at night, while their Kraft M&C heats up, imagine the excitement they experience when they see someone has replied to their posts.

Silly jabs aside, right, I do NOT get it, that seems like such a huge waste of life cycles. That would be like me signing up on a <some_car> forum, let's say, a Charger, just to tell them how their choices are all wrong, how what I drive is way better, even though I have zero vested interest in it, other than some - as you put it - bizarre sense of satisfaction that I've turned them or made them regret / rethink their decision.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I wonder why, with 1.5 years do do it, Apple didn't update the form factor on the 13" M2 MBP like they did on the M2 Air. Not sure if there were any changes at all, other than the M2.
Honestly, I’m a bit surprised they even kept it.

The touchbar is EOL, so they aren’t keeping it because of that. The display in the M2 Air should now be at least as good with the improved nit range, true tone, etc. The M2 Air has a better port selection. About the only reason to keep it now is that it has a fan and won’t throttle like the Air when under constant load for long periods of time.

As a developer, if I wanted a cheap laptop from Apple for development, I’d honestly pick the M2 Air.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering why they still kept the 13" MBP around. It sits in kind of a weird slot in their lineup.

Top Bottom
1 2