WWDC 2022: What was Announced

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Are you one of those people who has two decades of cruft from using Migration Assistant? I've always nuked it from orbit when getting a new Mac, it's the only way to be sure, but I usually keep my machines for as long as macOS supports them, not replacing it every two years. I suppose that would get tedious.

I've been banned from MR twice and you can't get to your profile when you are banned, and therefore cannot log out. But you can get to private messages. I guess because the mods have to tell you that you are banned, so that area stays open.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you one of those people who has two decades of cruft from using Migration Assistant? I've always nuked it from orbit when getting a new Mac, it's the only way to be sure, but I usually keep my machines for as long as macOS supports them, not replacing it every two years. I suppose that would get tedious.
Not quite two decades (I bought my first Mac when Leopard came out), but, yeah, I always just Migrate. I have powerpc binaries sitting in my applications directory.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another minor new feature: if enabled in the Settings app, on iPad, Safari can “show links on hover” if you are using a pointing device. Sort of like the bar you can show at the bottom of the Mac safari window.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
Didn’t take you guys long to find that :)

The fun thing is, I can’t even click the link, or it takes me to the “we have a problem, you’ve been banned” page. No way to log out (i guess i could clear my settings in safari settings). On the rare occasion I visit there now (to view some link you guys post), I have to go into a private tab to do it.
I clear out cookies and other storage frequently (once a week) on general principal so it wouldn't be a problem for me. Clear out MR cookies and you will definitely get logged out. With Safari's integration with the keychain, logging back in to the few sites that I have a login with isn't much of a problem.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I clear out cookies and other storage frequently (once a week) on general principal so it wouldn't be a problem for me. Clear out MR cookies and you will definitely get logged out. With Safari's integration with the keychain, logging back in to the few sites that I have a login with isn't much of a problem.

yeah, i just really can‘t be bothered :). I’ve maybe tried to click on two links since I’ve been banned, and each time I’m like “oh, yeah, I can‘t see forum pages over here.” It’s actually nice to remind myself :)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Why does Safari not allow access to your cookies? I continue to rely on iCab because it provides me with surgical control over my cookies (and a nice fast scrollbar that is always on).
For the same reason Apple software usually omits features: in Apple’s estimation the number of people who are going to do that is small, and they like to keep things simple if they can.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

I used Migration Assistant for the first time this year. I was impressed by how quick and easy it was to get the new machine up and running. But I was shocked at all the stuff that just magically appeared on the new machine. I think I too prefer to just start from scratch. Oh well. Live and learn.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Installing or running apps from TestFlight apparently requires developer mode to be turned on.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
By murdering the formatting, I think I freed up a large amount of space. Xenforo is messed up in that, when you have an indented block of text and you put in a \n\n, it has to open and close the indent tag on every line, even blank lines.

Thanks. I‘ve also gone in and removed some newlines, tightened up some text, etc. We should be good.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just occurred to me that the reason Apple hasn’t broken its password managing on iOS into a stand-alone app is because the long game is to obviate such apps with Passkey. And the reason it won’t improve the cameras in its laptops (and monitors) is that it thinks the future is some sort of Frankenstein setup where you mount your phone on top?

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just saw this tidbit. Finally we can get notifications from Xenforo!
IMG_5949.jpeg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Here is a detailed look at passkeys, a new feature announced at WWDC that could replace passwords.

Tidbits seldom disappoints. I think it’s definitely worth a read.

Top Bottom
1 2