WWDC 2022: What was Announced

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe it's easier to get stock/parts for that model, now that there are so many supply chain problems.

Could also be a sales channel thing - certain corporate or institutional buyers want that form factor for awhile.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering why they still kept the 13" MBP around. It sits in kind of a weird slot in their lineup.
While I can't confirm this, I suspect it might be marketing. This happens all the time with televisions. Say, a manufacturer releases a 75-inch television at a premium price with older technology/form factor. Then they release a 65-inch television with redesigned casing, newer panel, and at a slightly reduced price compared to the bigger model. The consumer then thinks they are getting a bargain with the smaller device, when in fact it's a psychological means of enhancing perceived value.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 13-inch MacBook Pro ships in a much lower volume, but it performs the function that marketing intends it to. It's the same reason Apple has crazy margins on the top RAM or SSD configurations; it gives the middle option a perceived value, even though Apple's margin is still high on mid-range options.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't remember if this was specifically mentioned, but iOS/iPadOS 16 and macOS 13 will allow you to insert emojis using dictation.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Could also be a sales channel thing - certain corporate or institutional buyers want that form factor for awhile.

Probably the best reason I’ve heard for it. Apple did say it was their second best selling Mac.

I’m a bit surprised there was no M2 Mac mini announced. The form factor there was definitely to make things easier on places that orders these things in bulk for server racks during the transition, but I guess it might be up for a redesign soon if they aren’t just refreshing it like the 13”?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW, I have been continuously adding new discoveries (my own, all of yours, and things I find on the web), so if you’re interested in what’s new in the new operating systems, be sure to check the first post in this thread from time to time. (For example, I just found a password creation thing that I hadn’t seen reported elsewhere).

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
9to5Mac has an article detailing the features that us Intel using troglodytes won't be able to take advantage of, namely these three things require Apple Silicon:

• Live Captions in FaceTime
• Reference Mode with Sidecar
• Insert emoji using your voice while dictating

I admit I'm surprised that there wasn't more, but I suppose Apple is already getting enough flack about dropping pre-2017 Macs from the compatibility list.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There have been many more updates to the initial post, for those interested in all the tiny little new features.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess this is new, too. You can set separate “favorites” for saved tab groups in safari. (Below, my tab group is named “Default”

1654739795220.png

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The system print dialog on macOS Ventura seems to be an improvement. It’s also resizeable.

1654742784217.png

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Cmaier, my favorite part of that image, from your "Favorites":

View attachment 14783

Didn’t take you guys long to find that :)

The fun thing is, I can’t even click the link, or it takes me to the “we have a problem, you’ve been banned” page. No way to log out (i guess i could clear my settings in safari settings). On the rare occasion I visit there now (to view some link you guys post), I have to go into a private tab to do it.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Didn’t take you guys long to find that :)

The fun thing is, I can’t even click the link, or it takes me to the “we have a problem, you’ve been banned” page. No way to log out (i guess i could clear my settings in safari settings). On the rare occasion I visit there now (to view some link you guys post), I have to go into a private tab to do it.
Are you one of those people who has two decades of cruft from using Migration Assistant? I've always nuked it from orbit when getting a new Mac, it's the only way to be sure, but I usually keep my machines for as long as macOS supports them, not replacing it every two years. I suppose that would get tedious.

Top Bottom
1 2