WWDC 2022: What was Announced

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
When I posted the shipment progress above, it was indicating a delivery date of Aug 12 / Friday, but checked just now (T asked ...) now it's tomorrow ...

View attachment 16610

Then this happened at 11:30a my time :rolleyes:

1660237683273.png

Which actually made sense based on the tracking, it wasn't near here this morning it has just left Alaska.

Hahaha, but at 12:48p this update came in:

1660237757513.png

:ROFLMAO:

We should've setup a betting pool for when this arrives!

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Then this happened at 11:30a my time :rolleyes:
This has been quite the saga to behold. We all know what it's like, sitting around thrumming your fingers, while waiting for a package to arrive, repeatedly hitting the refresh button on the tracking site. I truly hope you are pleased with your purchase. I still use an i3 2018 Mac mini, like a savage. I'm waiting for the M3 generation, but I'm constantly being tempting.
We should've setup a betting pool for when this arrives!
I'm going with 13 o'clock.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, it's really OK, it's the little G's replacement machine*, she doesn't need it immediately, and we have an M1 MBP hooked up to external display/kb/mouse (bad internal display) and another machine, the wife's MBA (M1), I didn't even plan on this being in hand till later next week.

One of the two clear cases actually shipped!

1660242703235.png

The other is still pending, probably let it ship too, they're inexpensive:

1660242742058.png

* I'll use it when we're all traveling together for a general purpose machine if she being it along.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, yeah, given this:

1660306822372.png

Where it only just arrived in KY late last night, I figured it wasn't happening yesterday, even though it was still showing delivery by 7p (snicker) :D

But this morning, progress!

1660306914014.png

Not quite OFD, but very close :) That UPS facility is like 10 miles away.

[edit]

:love:

1660309978854.png

[edit]

UPS tracking flipped over to map view, it's like 10 blocks away :D

10 blocks took 1-1/2 hours ... but at last ...

1660327466092.png

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, this is a beautiful color! It's not sliver, or gold, it's like a warm, bright sliver.

Migration assistant, 9+ hours, hahaha, WTF, nevermind, T said there was nothing on the M1 machine anyway.

DT

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, this is a beautiful color! It's not sliver, or gold, it's like a warm, bright sliver.

Migration assistant, 9+ hours, hahaha, WTF, nevermind, T said there was nothing on the M1 machine anyway.

DT

Congratulations on receiving your new Mac!

I'm still on the fence using migration assistant or doing a clean install on a recently purchased Mac - and thus have been delaying the decision.

Looking forward to your comments on how migration assistant worked out for you after it's finished.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations on receiving your new Mac!

I'm still on the fence using migration assistant or doing a clean install on a recently purchased Mac - and thus have been delaying the decision.

Looking forward to your comments on how migration assistant worked out for you after it's finished.
Last several times I’ve had to move myself or a family member to a new mac I’ve used migration assistant with an external SSD onto which I backed up the old machine using carbon copy cloner. It goes very fast that way, as long as the SSD is thunderbolt.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Only 20 minutes now, I guess it got into high gear :D

There was only a few apps, and all the Safari stuff would've sync'ed up through iCloud, a migration probably wasn't needed.

Even before we opened it , I added some AC+, used the SN from the box. Wow, did I feel better after that confirmation email came through. :D

It got delivered, we picked up the T from school, hit up Cafe 11 for some Boba Tea, beer and early dinner, she was pretty stoked when we got home as you might imagine.

Mag Safe is so nice to see again, even the cable is nicer than the previous M1 machines (it's nylon), I went with the standard USB-C charger since other options added 2-3 weeks to the delivery date, we can alway add an Anker 60w PD charger later, though we already have a couple around here.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Last several times I’ve had to move myself or a family member to a new mac I’ve used migration assistant with an external SSD onto which I backed up the old machine using carbon copy cloner. It goes very fast that way, as long as the SSD is thunderbolt.

Thanks... I have both recent CCC and TM backups from my 5K iMac ready to go. And I could connect both via direct Ethernet cable.

Just taking the decision slowly not wanting to somehow doing something dumb. Like unintentionally loading up my new Mac with a bunch of system folders junk from multiple previous migrations that might sneak over. Thinking maybe now's the time to really start fresh. OTOH, I know I worry way too much about stuff like this, so...

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks... I have both recent CCC and TM backups from my 5K iMac ready to go. And I could connect both via direct Ethernet cable.

Just taking the decision slowly not wanting to somehow doing something dumb. Like unintentionally loading up my new Mac with a bunch of system folders junk from multiple previous migrations that might sneak over. Thinking maybe now's the time to really start fresh. OTOH, I know I worry way too much about stuff like this, so...

I literally have apps from 2003 on my mac that are powerpc and won’t run. So what? Anything harmful gets segregated out by the OS.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I literally have apps from 2003 on my mac that are powerpc and won’t run. So what? Anything harmful gets segregated out by the OS.

Yeah... Just a shame to waste space on a brand new internal SSD. I guess I could do migration assistant and then *carefully* remove stuff that's obviously old over time with a bit of thought. I had a PPC Mac Pro ages ago. And a Mac IIci, though I'm pretty sure I didn't migrate that stuff over.

I assume any new apps/files I've added to the new Mac won't be bothered, right?

My old 5K iMac internal disk is a 1 TB SSD, but CCC'd to a "fast-ish" spinning disk via USB 3 port.

My LR-organized photos are on a different spinning disk - which I would continue to use on the new machine.

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I assume any new apps/files I've added to the new Mac won't be bothered, right?

Also... I'm wondering if since I've already set up a user account (which creates a new User folder and Apple ID) on my new Mac, if that's going to be a problem with Migration Assistant moving the contents of the User folder on my old Mac to my new Mac.

Any thoughts?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Also... I'm wondering if since I've already set up a user account (which creates a new User folder and Apple ID) on my new Mac, if that's going to be a problem with Migration Assistant moving the contents of the User folder on my old Mac to my new Mac.

Any thoughts?
I can’t recall for sure but I believe you have the option to move the existing account out of the way (creating a second account) or to merge.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
There was only a few apps, and all the Safari stuff would've sync'ed up through iCloud, a migration probably wasn't needed.

When I got the M2 MacBook Air I didn’t bother with migration. All my development stuff is on GitHub and all of my personal files are in iCloud and download automatically. I installed a few apps, entered a few license keys and I was good to go. Over time I’ve had to adjust a few preferences but that also isn’t much of a problem since they are my preferences.

I definitely saved myself several hours by not using migration assistant.

Mag Safe is so nice to see again, even the cable is nicer than the previous M1 machines (it's nylon), I went with the standard USB-C charger since other options added 2-3 weeks to the delivery date, we can alway add an Anker 60w PD charger later, though we already have a couple around here.

I use my MacBook Air with a dock connected to a 4K display. The USB-C dock charges and connects over a single USB-C cable. I haven’t even unwrapped the dual USB-C charger or the MagSafe cable that came with the M2. I’d prefer if Apple would make the charger optional with maybe a small gift card as reimbursement. I have no use for it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I definitely saved myself several hours by not using migration assistant.

I could've done either, this is the daughters new machine, and I didn't want her to miss anything from the old even though "She didn't have much", it was 10 minutes of my "real time" and checking back in a couple of hours :)

We made drinks, we turned on EPs 7 and 8 of Sandman, when we were done, it was done, I hollered up at T to come check things out :)

I use my MacBook Air with a dock connected to a 4K display. The USB-C dock charges and connects over a single USB-C cable. I haven’t even unwrapped the dual USB-C charger or the MagSafe cable that came with the M2. I’d prefer if Apple would make the charger optional with maybe a small gift card as reimbursement. I have no use for it.

Yeah, I always run my notebooks docked in some capacity, again, the daughters machine, so I appreciated the beefier and less "accident enabling" charging setup :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
She wanted to do stickers and suggested a clear case to show off the machine and allow stickers without actually applying them directly to the machine.

Ordered 2, this one showed first, $20 for top, bottom, a set of replacement rubber-footsies, and a screen/KB cover that won't be used - pretty perfect fitment, super clear, will protect the machine and accommodate the sticker requirement :D

IMG_1793_1920.jpg

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I did the same, but used an SSD connected via USB C. I migrated everything but third-party apps, which I downloaded and re-installed. The migration process went quickly, and handling the apps separately let me decide which ones I no longer needed.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I migrated everything but third-party apps, which I downloaded and re-installed.

Just so I know ahead of time... does that mean migration assistant lets you pick and choose which 3rd party apps to not transfer? Or is it all 3rd party apps on your old Mac to not transfer? Thanks.

I have a 2 TB USB-C SSD on order I should be getting tomorrow and will use for migration. After that, I'll use it for one of my backup disks on my new Mac.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I admit that it tickles me whenever you mention this. Engineers, by nature, have orderly minds. On this forum we often complain about the decades of cruft that are still extant in x86 land, particularly in the ISA, but also within Windows itself. I'm not one of those people who obsessively reinstalls an OS every year to clean out the imaginary detritus, but when I do purchase a new computer, I move everything over by hand because I like to start fresh, while deleting anything unnecessary.

Back during the dark days of being a Windows user, I would typically reinstall Windows every six months or so. I don't know if modern Windows suffers from it, but WinXP would slow down and clog itself up without any assistance from the user. This was particularly bad for gamers, with new drivers being constantly updated, and Microsoft's own updates somehow nuking themselves, never mind the spaghetti code to drive third-party peripherals. One of the many benefits of switching to the Mac was no longer having to worry about the operating system slowly degrading itself.

Not that macOS is always perfect, in that regard. I hung onto Mojave on my 2018 Mac mini until security patches ran dry. When I updated from Mojave to Big Sur, something happened with Safari, after the update, where it was endlessly eating up half the CPU with the anemic i3 housed within my mini. I could never diagnose the issue, other than it was constant after launching Safari, and would only stop eating up 50% of CPU cycles upon force quitting it. I used Time Machine to go back to Mojave. A month or so later, Monterey was released, updated to that, and haven't experienced that issue since. I still have no idea what caused it, but a mysterious leftover from the Mojave install was plaguing Safari, despite the immutable Signed System Volume introduced with Big Sur.

So, while indeed rare, there's always a chance that leftovers, from what I presume to be third-party installs of days gone by, can impact performance after a major macOS version update. I had assumed that it was the remnants of a misbehaving Safari extension, but the only one I use is Adguard for Safari, and that's regularly updated and hardly an obscure, poorly behaved work of code craft.

Hence, I find it amusing that an accomplished engineer of @Cmaier's talents may still have 32-bit PPC code lurking somewhere within his M1 Macs, but also irritates the minor OCD I have in regards to the matter. I've got plenty of old crap still sitting on my 2018 Mac mini's internal SSD, such as save files from 32-bit games that I can't run anymore, but those will all be weeded out by hand, whenever I finally move over to the brave new Apple Silicon future.

Top Bottom
1 2