WWDC: iPhone always-on display

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Gurman is claiming iOS 16 will support an always-on display for at least some iPhone 14 models.

Seems to me this is the sort of thing that wouldn’t be announced at WWDC. Even though developers might need to know about it (for example, to support a different notification type), what Apple does in these cases is they wait until the device is announced and then give developers the information.

Sometimes, however, these things become obvious due to SDK modifications - new parameters to functions show up, new functions get added, or existing functions get deprecated and replaced by newer ones that seemingly offer no benefit for existing devices. So if Apple does intend to do this (which I think likely), we may see something in one of the early Betas that make it obvious.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
This peaked my interest. I am a huge fan of AOD - as long as it isn't the entire display. I wish the Apple Watch would turn into a little clock with AOD. Always liked the Samsung AOD for time and various notifications (without having to turn on the phone). Granted, raise to wake does make that a little less of a desired feature but I'd still want it. I am a huge fan of clocks and like AOD for that reason. Maybe it's just me but looking at a clock helps de-stress.

There's this app I like on my iPhone called: Atomic Clock Gorgy Timing - love watching the seconds count by on that for whatever reason. :p

IMG_1874.jpeg

I know we'll never be able to use that for the AOD but just showing time would be cool.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2