X86-S

casperes1996

Power User
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just now heard of X86-S; A new ISA revision proposed by Intel (external architecture spec: x86-S External Architectural Specification - Intelintel.comhttps://cdrdv2-public.intel.com › x86s-EAS-v1-...)

It seems to be a cleanup of x86_64 that I personally welcome. Removing a lot of the legacy stuff from x86 that modern systems don't really use anyway. Not sure how much they can really win with it on the CPU side given that they still need instruction set compatibility; Some instructions aren't allowed behaviour anymore and won't have to be considered outside of perhaps generating a general protection exception, but the encoding is still the same for everything.
Boot up times should be at least a tiny bit better though. Switching to protected and long mode hardly takes any time at all on a modern chip but it's still something you won't need to do on an x86-S chip. Although you now do need to check CPUID to see if it is x86-S so swingers and roundabouts.

Would love to hear people's thoughts :)

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
We already have a thread on it, instead of conversing about it as mature adults, we made fun of Intel.

Aaronage

Power User
Reaction score
The idea was discussed in the Arm vs. x86 thread before Intel made this proposal public. Seems like there’s not much desire to retread or expand on the topic 🙂

casperes1996

Power User
Reaction score
We already have a thread on it, instead of conversing about it as mature adults, we made fun of Intel.

Wonderful; Thanks for pointing me to that.

Top Bottom
1 2