Xbox Series X

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to say that I am somewhat underwhelmed by the new Xbox. I don't really see any improvement in visual quality. Everything looks about the same as it did on the Xbox One X. There are awful bugs, including a connection issue with both the control and the headphones. Games freezing. Console freezing and restarting. Games do load very quickly although I have most of them on an external 12TB storage.

Anyone else seeing similar issues?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, we only recently picked up a PS4 ... that's right a FOUR :D Well, it's a 4 Pro ...

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hahaha, we only recently picked up a PS4 ... that's right a FOUR :D Well, it's a 4 Pro ...

I see... a Playstation player...

Totally unrelated questions here. How do I petition to have a member permanently banned from this forum and possibly forced to watch Xbox gameplay for several hours a day as a form of well deserved torture? :ROFLMAO:

I grew up playing Playstation. All the way from the original and until the PS4. Actually I've always had both until recently. Can't beat the PS4 exclusives. Nathan Drake's shenanigans are some of the best games out there. The Last of Us, too. On the other hand, Gears, Halo and Forza are fantastic franchises and now that Microsoft owns Bethesda, the future is bright.

But what really pulled me into the Xbox ecosystem is GamePass. I literally ran out of time to play the PS4 and it was just gathering dust, so I gave it to my brother along with the collection of games. I might get the PS5 when it becomes available...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I see... a Playstation player...

Totally unrelated questions here. How do I petition to have a member permanently banned from this forum and possibly forced to watch Xbox gameplay for several hours a day as a form of well deserved torture? :ROFLMAO:

I grew up playing Playstation. All the way from the original and until the PS4. Actually I've always had both until recently. Can't beat the PS4 exclusives. Nathan Drake's shenanigans are some of the best games out there. The Last of Us, too. On the other hand, Gears, Halo and Forza are fantastic franchises and now that Microsoft owns Bethesda, the future is bright.

But what really pulled me into the Xbox ecosystem is GamePass. I literally ran out of time to play the PS4 and it was just gathering dust, so I gave it to my brother along with the collection of games. I might get the PS5 when it becomes available...

Oh, not so much Playstation vs. XBox, as just a commentary on how we're not on the cutting edge (and it takes us months and months per game, so a console has a long life cycle with us) :) In fact, there's an XB1X sitting right on the same rack!

We had a PS3 that crapped out, and we never finished The Last of Us, it's been in the equipment closet for a long time, and so we've just been playing the XBox on occasion, using it for a BD player (it got that chore when the PS3 went pear shaped ...), though honestly, we probably have way more time with the Switch than the XB.

Anyway, we had been wanting to finish Last of Us (the wife and I really like survival horror, storyline driven type games), and several months ago I realized I had a credit just sitting in my PS account. So I scored a deal on a PS4Pro, basically a few months old, mint, controller, cables, all the boxes, and packaging, and the 1TB spinner had been swapped for a 2TB SSD, for $200. So scored that, and used my credit to pick up Last of Us Remastered, and Last of Us 2 (both were 50% off a few weeks ago, so nothing "out of pocket").

I got to use credit that had been sitting around for well over a year, so I figured for $200, we'd have several months of game play with those two, and it's a decent upgrade.

Honestly, in terms of next gen, I'd probably pick up an XBox over a PS just for one specific game: The Medium (it's sort of channeling Silent Hill, in fact, the music director of the latter scored it)

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, not so much Playstation vs. XBox, as just a commentary on how we're not on the cutting edge (and it takes us months and months per game, so a console has a long life cycle with us) :) In fact, there's an XB1X sitting right on the same rack!

We had a PS3 that crapped out, and we never finished The Last of Us, it's been in the equipment closet for a long time, and so we've just been playing the XBox on occasion, using it for a BD player (it got that chore when the PS3 went pear shaped ...), though honestly, we probably have way more time with the Switch than the XB.

Anyway, we had been wanting to finish Last of Us (the wife and I really like survival horror, storyline driven type games), and several months ago I realized I had a credit just sitting in my PS account. So I scored a deal on a PS4Pro, basically a few months old, mint, controller, cables, all the boxes, and packaging, and the 1TB spinner had been swapped for a 2TB SSD, for $200. So scored that, and used my credit to pick up Last of Us Remastered, and Last of Us 2 (both were 50% off a few weeks ago, so nothing "out of pocket").

I got to use credit that had been sitting around for well over a year, so I figured for $200, we'd have several months of game play with those two, and it's a decent upgrade.

Honestly, in terms of next gen, I'd probably pick up an XBox over a PS just for one specific game: The Medium (it's sort of channeling Silent Hill, in fact, the music director of the latter scored it)

You pointed out another important difference. Backward compatibility. Xbox commitment is almost unreasonable at this point. You can play select original xbox games, not stream them, but buy them and download and own them forever. Every game from the previous generation is supported and they even offer to update some for free with enhancements for the next gen, depending on studios.

Playstation has always been more of a cut and run type of approach. It's probably not that big of a deal for most people though. Who wants to replay old games? Probably not that many.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Do you guys play COD?
I did.

I stopped when it went Pay to win in Advance Warfare.

I know they went Fortnite recently with season passes, but I'm good.

I watched on Twitch last night that Warzone had a glitch that allowed people to turn invisible and be nearly invincible.

I just laughed.

U

User.45

I did.

I stopped when it went Pay to win in Advance Warfare.

I know they went Fortnite recently with season passes, but I'm good.

I watched on Twitch last night that Warzone had a glitch that allowed people to turn invisible and be nearly invincible.

I just laughed.
I'm still pushing Black Ops 4... And exclusively League play.

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
The only game I still play online is Battlefield V at times. It's been a while, so I suck now. I play Fallout 76 now and actually really like it. Fallout has been one of my all-time favorite franchises. If any of you play let me know!

If fact, you can find me on Xbox under FantomSolace. Connect anytime.

U

User.45

The only game I still play online is Battlefield V at times. It's been a while, so I suck now. I play Fallout 76 now and actually really like it. Fallout has been one of my all-time favorite franchises. If any of you play let me know!

PS guy here:( I only play FPS these days...It's a quick cheap thrill.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I've played Destiny since it's Alpha, but I've really dialed back in playing since I've played it for so many years.

Lately I've played Genshin Impact when I'm not on Destiny. Nice change of pace.

U

User.45

Should I get an Xbox Series X?Is it worth it to switch from PS4?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
It seems to be a LITTLE easier to get one, as they last a little longer in stock.

I think where you want to look to answer your question is in if you are willing to invest in their Game pass.

The offerings are extensive.

U

User.45

It seems to be a LITTLE easier to get one, as they last a little longer in stock.

I think where you want to look to answer your question is in if you are willing to invest in their Game pass.

The offerings are extensive.
PS5 seems to have higher upfront cost but cheaper subscriptions.
XBox is lower up front cost but more expensive subscription.

Don't laugh at me, even though I've had a C64 as a kid, my first gaming console was a PS4 and it took me 3 years to get used to the controller. Any experience with switching from PS to XB controller? I was the guy getting tea bagged for 3 years, and I don't want to be that guy again:D:D

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
PS5 seems to have higher upfront cost but cheaper subscriptions.
XBox is lower up front cost but more expensive subscription.

Don't laugh at me, even though I've had a C64 as a kid, my first gaming console was a PS4 and it took me 3 years to get used to the controller. Any experience with switching from PS to XB controller? I was the guy getting tea bagged for 3 years, and I don't want to be that guy again:D:D
I got the original Xbox as a Christmas gift. That one came with what is affectionately known as the Duke. It’s still the controller I look back at affectionately. When PS4 came out the friends I played with regularly jumped from Xbox to PS4. Yes it’s a different controller, but with exception of size, it’s pretty much the same. You adjust in less than a week.

Painful experience in a lifetime of Call of Duty ( since on the original XBox to Advance Warfare ) has taught me if you are the guy ‘bookending’ the scoreboard on the bottom, the controller probably isn’t your problem. :ROFLMAO: It means you haven’t suffered enough yet. .:ROFLMAO:

U

User.45

I got the original Xbox as a Christmas gift. That one came with what is affectionately known as the Duke. It’s still the controller I look back at affectionately. When PS4 came out the friends I played with regularly jumped from Xbox to PS4. Yes it’s a different controller, but with exception of size, it’s pretty much the same. You adjust in less than a week.

Painful experience in a lifetime of Call of Duty ( since on the original XBox to Advance Warfare ) has taught me if you are the guy ‘bookending’ the scoreboard on the bottom, the controller probably isn’t your problem. :ROFLMAO: It means you haven’t suffered enough yet. .:ROFLMAO:
I was that guy for years, now, at least in league play that is not pay-to-win, I usually stay in the upper half. One of the trick is to avoid Friday nights (pre COVID). People who spend Friday nights playing COD have nothing better to do than tea bagging people like me...:D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

XB vs. PS, in general, seems to be mostly be which platform has the exclusives you want (and many major titles are on both, and about the same). The thing is, even when there are exclusives, there's usually a comparable title, ex: Gran Turismo vs. Forza. I mean, I'm sure fanatics of either can go into some very specific reasons why X is better than Y, but for me, it doesn't really matter.

You, however, are also talking about a generational upgrade, so sure, the more recent/new console tech is better.

Here's the thing with us, some of the most fun we've had with games, wasn't particularly contingent on the tech, sure, I can look at a XBX/PS5 game, and flip out over the poly-count, or some slick implementation of specular reflections - but after the nerd-isms fade, I'm more driven by the game content, i.e., genre, theme, writing, storyline, etc., and there's so much catalog we want to play that's already present on the PS4/XB1X, I'm fine with owning the previous gen.

If we get through LOU 1/2, the best RE games (I think we're going to get 2, 4 and 7), and there's nothing left to play, yeah, we might do an XBSX/XBSS just to play Medium. :D

Oh, I also picked up Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) for the little G, an actual physical copy to open for Xmas, she was totally into it (hahaha, me too :D)

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
My games for this Christmas are Miles Morales ( of course ), Cyberpunk 2077 ( If I don't return it ), and Immortals Fenyx Rising.

With the exception of Miles, nothing platform specific. I currently play two games somewhat frequently, Destiny 2 & Genshin Impact. Destiny on PS4 has always gotten exclusives, and Genshin Impact isn't being released on Xbox. So for me, jumping with my friends over to PSN was a good choice.

Though Gamepass on XBox does offer the chance to play Crackdown again, which alone is worth it. Which ever system gets the Def Jam Fight for NY & Vendetta gets my money. Fortunately all systems will be getting the Scott Pilgrim remaster early next year.

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score

In short, I would say “yes.”

The subscriptions are actually what makes the xbox such an amazing value. Yes, the Gamepass is pricey but includes a large library of games, including all Microsoft made games on day one. Since they bought Bethesda, one could expect that future new releases would also be available on Gamepass on day one. It now also includes EA access, which gives you most of their portfolio as well. Rumors are they are going to buy additional big name studios, so the direction is clear here.

Xbox has a vastly better online community in my opinion. The achievement system is better and online play is supposedly more reliable. It’s Microsoft, which makes sense, but I haven’t really noticed a difference.

I haven’t seen the PS store in a while. At least back then, Microsoft usually had more frequent and better game sales as well. You’ll also find a full library of Xbox 360 games, with many entires re-freshen and/or optimized for new hardware. It’s a much more welcoming platform and backward compatibility is unmatched by any other platform.

If you have a PC, you also get game pass there, so any games that are cross-device will sync. I can play Gears Tactics on my PC and then jump right back into it where I left off on my Xbox. Plus, the new flight simulator? Included on day one.

Last, I would just say that in the past year alone, Microsoft has made dramatic gains and demonstrated great commitment to the platform. Expanded game pass, completely revamped interface, new hardware.

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
many major titles are on both, and about the same
This is very likely to change.

Microsoft has already said they will continue to support Bethesda’s titles on PlayStation, but they also left open the question of whether or not they would offer exclusive content for Xbox owners. It’s not hard to imagine that in the near future, you’ll get the same Fallout or Wolfenstein game on both platforms, but enhanced visuals, exclusive quest lines, weapons, skins and other in-game content on the xbox. If the rumors are true, Microsoft is eyeing the purchase of other major publishers.

Microsoft didn’t spend $7.5 billion on one of the biggest publishers in the industry to not leverage it. It’s a major power play and it will reshape the landscape. If anything — it will give Microsoft revenue from PlayStation sales. That’s also a big deal.
Cyberpunk 2077 ( If I don't return it )

It sounds like most issues are on the older hardware. The developer apologized for not testing on last-gen. The game has been pulled from those stores but remains available on the latest hardware. It supposedly runs fine with the usual bugs one may expect from a massive new release. I haven’t tried it yet myself.

Top Bottom
1 2