Yesterday was world lizard day

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure why they are illegal in CA but the way CA works is there is a list of allowed animals. If they aren’t on the list they are illegal. Given hedgehog’s popularity there probably is a direct reason and it’s not just an oversite. But even CA has hill folk and I can guarantee they have pets that aren’t on the list, like ferrets.

Ferrets aren’t allowed either?????

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ferrets aren’t allowed either?????

No. But I know several people in the state who have/had them. I think they are considered an ecosystem ruining invasive species and having spent some time with them I can see why. By comparison cats aren’t curious at all.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_2492.jpg

Butters nap wedge. Taken from iPhone (still shitty) front facing camera.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I want a hedgehog too! But they are illegal in my state (CA). :mad:

As they should be. Hedgehogs shouldn't be pets. They are wild animals. They're cute, and some docile ones show up on youtube and Sonic the Hedgehog was in theaters earlier this year. That makes people want them as pet, but I doubt most of those people can even care for them properly. Vets are also unlikely to know a lot about treating hedgehogs.

Also the hedgehog looks a bit stressed at parts of the video. The digging is probably instinctive. Curling into a ball is likely due to stress.

I really wish people would stop buying exotic pets. As much as I think hedgehogs are adorable, I wouldn't own one.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
113C48A7-7330-45D9-B922-451795847ED1.jpeg

This is Butter’s favorite chill spot under a folded blanket at the foot of the bed. Sometimes I pass out at night and she’s still there in the morning.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh I love Winston!

Then you'll also love Clint and Gus Gus. Clint is a total reptile nerd and does great videos on pluses and minuses on owning different species. Winston and Gus Gus are an Argentine Tegu. By all accounts closest thing to having a reptile dog but be prepared to have at least a half room enclosure for them.

Clint has even done the king cobra which as you can imagine on his 5 point scale rated very low. 😂

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I feel like an asshole for not mentioning this in the thread before, but these are/were my African fat tail geckos, Kramer and Sierra.

IMG_2269.jpeg

Kramer (left) passed away about a year ago. :( Sierra lives on!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did I mention my former colleague who raises geckos? You can check out some of her babies here.

You didn't. 😃 And I can't because I'm not on Facebook. 😐

Before you suggest I should reactivate my Facebook account for this and other non political interaction I feel I should point out I refused to do it even for my favorite uncle's cancer support group (that's not the only way to keep in touch). He passed away about 2 years ago and thus all other reasons to rejoin Facebook will forever be trivial.

Have them post on this forum. 😃

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You didn't. 😃 And I can't because I'm not on Facebook. 😐

Before you suggest I should reactivate my Facebook account for this and other non political interaction I feel I should point out I refused to do it even for my favorite uncle's cancer support group (that's not the only way to keep in touch). He passed away about 2 years ago and thus all other reasons to rejoin Facebook will forever be trivial.

Have them post on this forum. 😃

Well that sucks! I wonder if business owners are aware how much they are limiting themselves by only having Facebook and no real webpage? I didn’t realize you had to log into Facebook to see a business.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well that sucks! I wonder if business owners are aware how much they are limiting themselves by only having Facebook and no real webpage? I didn’t realize you had to log into Facebook to see a business.

No doubt, although I don't know if it's all that limiting considering how many people are on Facebook. Having said that, I went to a reptile expo a few years ago and the few people I was slightly interested in maybe getting something from in the near future gave me a business card with nothing but a facebook and/or instagram address. I understand maybe we're beyond phone numbers at this point, but is an email address really that obscure now? :mad:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Redid Butters' enclosure today. She made a wood chip pillow so she could rest her head while also observing what was going on outside her enclosure.

IMG_2780.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2