Your Grocery Store

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Grocery Store anti-shoplifting security-
Today is the second day in a row I was walking out of my local Krogers when my cart‘s wheels lock up. It’s their new brilliant security plan, if you sneak you cart out full of food, the cart’s wheels lock.

How’s that supposed to work? It’s just a cart, how does it know if I have paid for my groceries or not? Since I walk through a self bag area, there is an attendant who watches me check out my stuff and leave, and… my wheels locked up.

I’m not actually sure if this is supposed to be an automated system or if the attendant is suppose to disarm the system for your cart before you leave? What I have seen the attendant do, after the fact and the wheels are locked, walk up to the cart, bend over and place their little hand held device down by the wheels and disarm the system. At this point I just don’t see how this system is supposed to reduce shoplifting?

I told the attendant today, it would be nice if the system worked before they turned it on. She said it was becoming a full time job in itself.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
My grocery store must be behind the times, still just has a sign that says if you shoplift you get a free ride with the sheriff.

I love my grocery store at the moment. All this talk of inflation but the sales this week were fantastic, all of their best loss-leader sales happened to be on my winter pantry topping-off list. About the only things I paid full price for today were pumpernickel bread and some frozen petits peas. I'm a happy customer and so's the Instacart kid, i bumped his tip with part of my savings from those sales, figuring his gas costs sure aren't part of the oil and gas industry's "loss leader" scenarios... they're still making bumper profits.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Today is the second day in a row I was walking out of my local Krogers when my cart‘s wheels lock up. It’s their new brilliant security plan, if you sneak you cart out full of food, the cart’s wheels lock.

How’s that supposed to work? It’s just a cart, how does it know if I have paid for my groceries or not?

Our Kroger's in the cities use this type of cart to keep the carts from being taken from the LOT, not the store. There are large yellow lines around the parking lots and if you take a cart beyond the lines, the wheels lock. They are meant to keep people from stealing them and using them elsewhere.

U

User.191

How’s that supposed to work? It’s just a cart, how does it know if I have paid for my groceries or not? Since I walk through a self bag area, there is an attendant who watches me check out my stuff and leave, and… my wheels locked up.

I’m not actually sure if this is supposed to be an automated system or if the attendant is suppose to disarm the system for your cart before you leave? What I have seen the attendant do, after the fact and the wheels are locked, walk up to the cart, bend over and place their little hand held device down by the wheels and disarm the system. At this point I just don’t see how this system is supposed to reduce shoplifting?

I told the attendant today, it would be nice if the system worked before they turned it on. She said it was becoming a full time job in itself.
I used to work for Kroger corporate back Iin the day running all the store systems.

Trust me, this is nothing... You should have seen the debacle when they fucked up all the pharmacies with their rollout of Oracle RAC.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Safeway shopper here. There was one store where for about a month the wheels would lock on the cart as soon as I exited the building. Every. Single. Time. Most of the time there was an employee outside with some device that would unlock the wheels. That tells me they were having system issues they were aware of, but still, for a month?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I just want people to return the cart to the carousel, or back to the store. It says a lot about the person who leaves the cart out in the parking lot to ding car doors or take up a parking space.

I'm honestly surprised I don't see more free floating carts in the parking lots, given how utterly "fuck you got mine" everyone is these days.

It makes me think that maybe most people are just normal, everyday, not-entire-selfcentered people, and by concentrating on the worst of the worst, we're coming to view the world through a distorted lens.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
We live in a converted mill building and park across the street. Huge lot with a few businesses renting space from the mill building owner. There’s a pizza place, brewery, barber, and sushi joint in one building.

In a separate building, that I have to walk by after parking, is a small grocery store with coffee shop attached. We do 90% of our shopping here. They have a butcher shop with seafood, and a separate room selling beer/wine. It’s the size of a 7-11. It’s fuckin heaven. Yes, we pay 10-15% too much but the convenience is incredible. I expect I’ll miss it dearly someday.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Safeway shopper here. There was one store where for about a month the wheels would lock on the cart as soon as I exited the building. Every. Single. Time. Most of the time there was an employee outside with some device that would unlock the wheels. That tells me they were having system issues they were aware of, but still, for a month?

Maybe they only signed up for a trial period and figured --after getting every penny's worth (or end of free ride)-- "OK, we tried it."

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I just want people to return the cart to the carousel, or back to the store. It says a lot about the person who leaves the cart out in the parking lot to ding car doors or take up a parking space.

Ever been to an Aldi?

To get a cart, you have to put a quarter in a slot on the cart. Bring the cart back and you get your quarter back.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
This locking cart thing is all new to me. When my grocery cart wheels lock up, it's because the cart is fifteen years old and has been sitting in the snow.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
We have an Aldi in one of the shopping centers near me; I was at that shopping center today to go to the CVS pharmacy but didn't have any need for groceries so didn't go into the Aldi's. Actually, since it opened there maybe a year or so ago, replacing a Staples, I've only been in there once and was not particularly impressed so haven't been back since. I have no idea of what the shopping cart situation there is like, but if I'd wanted to actually shop and had grabbed a cart and realized that I needed one or more quarters, that would have been the end of things right there, as I don't carry coins around with me. On the few occasions I use cash -- bills -- to pay for something, any coins that I receive back in change are just dropped into my purse and then after I'm home, pulled out and put into a bowl for eventual counting and tucking into coin wrappers for a visit to the bank whenever I get around to it.

In my regular grocery store, it really bugs me when I get a cart that has wonky wheels and goes whack-whack-whack all the way as I'm making my way through the store......

Top Bottom
1 2