Your pictures of random animals (not pets)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Holy smokes, now we've got a huge Horned Owl outside, there are some blackbirds coming and going, raising hell at it, maybe they have a nest up there, I know we've got a few Cardinal nests up in that area ...

DSC_0037.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
BTW, that's my old Nikon D40 and a AF-s VR 55-200mm Nikkor/Nikon lens.

Hahaha, I love how when I opened the blinds it was staring right at me.

Funny watching it just kind of hang out, reminds me of a cat, the way it cleans itself.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Holy smokes, now we've got a huge Horned Owl outside, there are some blackbirds coming and going, raising hell at it, maybe they have a nest up there, I know we've got a few Cardinal nests up in that area ...

Our owl friend did not show back up. After the hawk, and then that critter, I'm assuming the next visitor will be this ...

1602707566575.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Thank you. It was a photography day I had with some keen photographers I know who have a studio and a range of exotic animals. A real fun day!
Wow, that would a blast I'm sure. Was there a backdrop for that nice creamy bokeh blur? I use one for my hummingbird photos as well when I can.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes, that's just spectacular.

Was that something to do with your business/profession? Or just a side bit of fun?
Very loosely connected. I work for a colour management and distribution supplier. So we sell products for photographers, videographers and designers. Been there about 12 years and I had been there about 5 when I got into photography.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Meet Alfred. He's an immature Great Blue Heron who lives on the small lake here in my community. I've spent a lot of time this summer shooting him and admiring him, sometimes at a distance, sometimes able to get surprisingly close to him (with a Sony 100-400mm lens plus 1.4x TC). I've shot some of the other waterfowl around the lake, too, plus had an entertaining summer with sparrows and squirrels that I fed on my deck, but Alfred will always be a favorite....

Alfred Against Colorful Background.jpg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Meet Alfred. He's an immature Great Blue Heron who lives on the small lake here in my community. I've spent a lot of time this summer shooting him and admiring him, sometimes at a distance, sometimes able to get surprisingly close to him (with a Sony 100-400mm lens plus 1.4x TC). I've shot some of the other waterfowl around the lake, too, plus had an entertaining summer with sparrows and squirrels that I fed on my deck, but Alfred will always be a favorite....

View attachment 765
Very nice, getting this sort of detail with that extra reach really pays off here.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Thank you! I was surprised at how close I could get to Alfred; he was standing below me at the edge of the lake, and I was on our asphalt walking trail that goes partly around the lake. Back in early June, I realized that my other long lens is just too large and heavy to tote around as walk-around lens and so went for the 100-400mm and then not too long after added the 1.4x TC, which gives me a nice 560mm reach, perfect for shooting the waterfowl in the lake plus the squirrels scampering around the common grounds of the condo community property, plus the occasional bird in a tree or on a bush. The longer lens (200-600mm) is now happy to just be living on the tripod, and I expect that I'll be using it more this winter shooting right from my deck, no need to carry it all that far.... Putting the 1.4x TC on it will give me even further reach, which will be a good thing since there is not a lot of flexibility when I'm standing on the deck with the tripod!

This is the first time I've had lenses of this length; in the past the longest I used with Nikon was 300mm. About two years ago I bought a Sony RX10 IV "bridge" camera which has an amazing lens range from 24mm to 600mm (on a one-inch sensor), and that thing really spoiled me. I had bought it for a specific purpose and after that event found myself using it around here most of the time while my Nikon DSLR bodies and lenses sat in the camera bags. I still have and still use that RX10 IV, too, as it's a dandy camera, so convenient when I just want to grab something quickly and shoot (did a lot of that this summer with the birds and the squirrels on the deck, as I kept the camera right at hand so I could grab it and shoot without having to get up and startle them. However, that one-inch sensor does have limitations, although it works very well in good light. When I bought the A7R IV I was planning to continue to use the bridge camera for all the long-range tele shots, until one day at the beginning of 2020, standing out on the deck shooting with it, I kept thinking about how a long full-frame lens on my A7R IV with its higher-resolution sensor would probably give me higher-quality images with more detail in the feathers, sharpness in the eyes, etc...... That's when I bought the 200-600mm. Used it quite a bit during the winter months but it really wasn't until spring that I realized that, yeah, the Bazooka, which is what I have fondly nicknamed that lens, just isn't a walk around lens for a petite woman of a certain age....

Top Bottom
1 2