Zack Snyder’s “Justice League” coming to HBO Max March 18

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
As I predicted, the new thing trending on Twitter, "Restore the Snyder Verse". Why? Because Snyder himself intentionally opened THAT door.

In a move that makes Zack Snyder look like a bit of a jerk, the thing that everyone has been saying for months has been said again; Warner Bros. has no intention to #RestoreTheSnyderVerse. We have known since September that Warner Bros. has been very clear that they don't have any intention of bringing back Snyder's version of the DC Universe. They gave him the freedom, and $70M, to end his cut on his own terms, with multiple people saying that this is it. Snyder took that freedom and $70M and decided to end the movie on a massive cliffhanger when no one in upper management wants to make more of these movies, which was kind of a dick move to the fans that got Snyder said freedom and $70M. Justice League is a movie that went over budget and underperformed at the box office during round one only to have an additional $70M, not including any marketing for Zack Snyder's Justice League, thrown at it for the HBO Max release. If there was any profit made here was minimal at best. So it stands to reason that everyone wants to move on, and according to WarnerMedia Studios CEO Ann Sarnoff in a new interview with Variety, they have no plans to #RestoreTheSnyderVerse.
I appreciate that they love Zack's work and we are very thankful for his many contributions to DC. We're just so happy that he could bring his cut of the "Justice League" to life because that wasn't in the plan until about a year ago. With that comes the completion of his trilogy. We're very happy we've done this, but we're very excited about the plans we have for all the multi-dimensional DC characters that are being developed right now.
Sarnoff went on to say that "we won't be developing David Ayer's cut" of Suicide Squad, which became another point that DC fans were trying to make happen online. It very much sounds like DC and Warner Bros. is ready to move on from the Snyder side of the Universe. When asked about the plans for the DC Universe going forward, Sarnoff talked about how "siloed" the DC universe was before she came on, and she wants to make it bigger and across multiple platforms.

We've got an incredible group of creators — television series creators, Max series creators, feature film creators — who are basically broadening the base of the talent that we work with on DC because we're so excited about the potential to build out the DC multiverse. It's one of the reasons why I was hired almost two years ago. The before-and-after was it was a very siloed organization with no connectivity between the businesses. DC was being developed, but in a kind of monolithic way in each division. My mantra coming in was to make it bigger and broader and we really want to surprise and delight the fans with more connective tissue across the various media and platforms. I'm talking movies, HBO Max, television and our games division.
If you aren't aware or really looked, The Suicide Squad is basically 2 different movies taped together. This happened because the version Ayers was doing was darker ( irony incoming ), but a trailer was made to promote the film & the people who made it made it to song 'Ballroom Blitz'. Which became a hit.

Which opened the door to the executive indecision and change in tone to a movie like THAT trailer. There's been a call following the Snyder Bros campaign, to do the same for the original version Ayers intended.

I personally would like to see THAT Ayers version of Suicide Squad, but I'm good if I don't.

Anyways...

Finally, Saroff condemned the actions of the toxic side of the Snyder Cut fanbase, saying that they are not tolerating that sort of behavior and they want the DC fandom to be positive.

We're not tolerating any of that. That behavior is reprehensible no matter what franchise you're talking about or what business you're talking about. It's completely unacceptable. I'm very disappointed in the fans that have chosen to go to that negative place with regard to DC, with regard to some of our executives. It's just disappointing because we want this to be a safe place to be. We want DC to be a fandom that feels safe and inclusive. We want people to be able to speak up for the things they love, but we don't want it to be a culture of cancelling things that any small faction isn't happy with. We are not about that. We are about positivity and celebration.

DC and Warner Bros. sound like they have made the decision to move on from the Snyder side of the DC Universe, and they have been saying this for several months now, so it shouldn't be a surprise. For Snyder to know that and to still end Zack Snyder's Justice League on a cliffhanger but also to make the only new footage he shot to be teasing a movie no one wants to make? It's a dick move, and there isn't any getting around it. Warner Bros. listened once, but it sounds like no one should expect their hashtags to work a second time.

AT&T Warner in move intended to draw people to their mish mosh new streaming service of their old streaming serviceS made a gamble ( that I believe has worked ) to addressing to a fanbase. The problem is that fanbase isn't going to stop with just THIS film, especially if you going to make Justice League Gray. It's teasing a very rabid fanbase, but not wanting to deal with the fallout from that small few who go to far.

I haven't made my thru the whole film yet to make a review. I've been watching it on my iPad Pro, where the aspect ration fits comfortably and I get Dolby Atmos.

My feelings so far...

In the comics, Darkseid searches the cosmos for the Anti Life Equation, willing to destroy or torture for it.

Now the perfect torture has been created. Making anyone watch the Snyder Cut a 2nd time IN FULL would make them give up the Anti Life Equation happily.

This D@MN thing is long. So much slo mo / music videos ( I'm looking at the very long intro of Barry & Iris West ), makes it feel like work.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can somebody explain what that (overly long) dream sequence was supposed to be about? To me it made absolutely no sense.

I'm sure this was mentioned, but the end was a little Return of the Kingy. If I saw it in the theater I probably would have gotten out of my chair at least twice only to have to sit my ass back down because it wasn't over yet. Maybe over the course of 3 movies like Avengers he felt it was justified, but I wasn't feeling it. In fact, I'd knock a star off the rating for that maneuver.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Finished it. It’s an improvement for sure. But, not worth it artistically, IMO. I like that they did it, but Snyder’s take on DC doesn’t work for me. My favorite thing he’s done is Watchmen, which is also DC but you get what I’m saying.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I really didn’t care for Warner’s corporatespeak. They don’t have to make the other movies, but don’t tell us this completes Snyder’s “trilogy” when his story spanned five movies and only the JL ones could be truly thought of as a trilogy.

And don’t say you’re happy to release Snyder’s version when you fought it for two years until your AT&T overlords told you to do it.

Can somebody explain what that (overly long) dream sequence was supposed to be about? To me it made absolutely no sense.
It was a premonition of disaster to come. Vanity Fair lays out the whole story here...
...but long story short, Darkseid eventually does conquer Earth and the Justice League gets a chance at a do-over.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I really didn’t care for Warner’s corporatespeak. They don’t have to make the other movies, but don’t tell us this completes Snyder’s “trilogy” when his story spanned five movies and only the JL ones could be truly thought of as a trilogy.

And don’t say you’re happy to release Snyder’s version when you fought it for two years until your AT&T overlords told you to do it.

It was a premonition of disaster to come. Vanity Fair lays out the whole story here...
...but long story short, Darkseid eventually does conquer Earth and the Justice League gets a chance at a do-over.
That's just it though, WB's "corporate speak" is their's to make, because it is THEIR property. It isn't Zack Snyder's property. It isn't the Snyder Bros property. It isn't comic book fans property. It's WB's and they do what they want with that property for their own profit. A decision was beginning to form with Batman Vs Superman's performance that involvement or a change in direction was necessary. The whole mess that became Justice League, it's performance, & Wonder Woman's success pretty much insured that direction wasn't to their liking. Shazam doing well, reinforced the execs thinking.

I'm not saying the execs are right. I'm just saying it's their property now to do with as they wish. What they do is for their careers, the company, and it's stock holders. Not for Zack Snyder or his version of their property.

This is the door that was opened with this project. It's also why the ending added on was unfair on Snyder's part.

Something execs also have to contend with is the fandom behind this, and Zack Snyder himself not having settled on his own story.

I'm not quoting the story, as to avoid spoilers. Only read the article if you know the movie, and some of the plans afterward.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. I think the length of it even qualifies as a Snyder Cut.

In related news

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
LOL. That’s not a perfect deep fake, but it’s pretty damn close.

And a funny routine. Like Colbert, I find the Deathstroke/Deadpool/Deadshot thing hard to keep track of.

...Never mind this guy...

86CE4CCB-FF2E-4B2A-9FEE-04268130E624.jpeg

...who at least wears a different costume. 😁

And I don’t even try to keep up with what part of Marvel is or is not owned by Disney or Fox or whoever. 🙄

(Please don’t try to explain it. I’ll just get a headache.)

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

And a funny routine. Like Colbert, I find the Deathstroke/Deadpool/Deadshot thing hard to keep track of.

And I don’t even try to keep up with what part of Marvel is or is not owned by Disney or Fox or whoever. 🙄

Well... just to clarify...

Deadman is at least really dead, and wears a legit onesie.

He & Deadshot were also around a decade or two before Deadpool or Deathstroke.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Yeah, that was back when I was young and read more comics. Boston Brand. I always thought that was a good character and storyline.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

Since Disney bought Fox, you don’t need to track it. Should be interesting, what they come up with.

On a side note, I’m curious to see what they do with Blade. Should be fun.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The previous one I posted was made before the movie came out. This one was released a couple days ago and is even more :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom
1 2