May 7 “Let Loose” Event - new iPads

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Looks like we finally get new ipads on May 7. Desperately need to replace my 12” pro which won’t charge anymore. (the hack i use is to use the Smart Keyboard to charge it). I have apple care, so I *could* just get it repaired, but, you know, what fun is that?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
My 2017 base iPad is in rough shape but I use it every day. Been waiting impatiently for this release, I’d like to upgrade to an Air, because I love spending too much $ on things apparently.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
"Rotating through variants". This one

IMG_5340.jpeg

looks like an infestation of microbes.

We might hope "let loose" means that new M3 Airs and Pros (with higher specs) will get even more macOS capabilities, though with that, the 11" Pro might start to cannibalize the 13" MacBook Air on the low end.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
"Rotating through variants". This one

looks like an infestation of microbes.

We might hope "let loose" means that new M3 Airs and Pros (with higher specs) will get even more macOS capabilities, though with that, the 11" Pro might start to cannibalize the 13" MacBook Air on the low end.

Apple rarely makes decisions based on worrying about cannibalizing other products - they’d rather cannibalize their stuff than let others do so.

No, pretty sure the problem is they actually think iPadOS is just fine, and that we all enjoy struggling to arrange windows where we want them and not having virtual memory support so that desktop-class apps won’t show up.

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
Looks like we finally get new ipads on May 7. Desperately need to replace my 12” pro which won’t charge anymore. (the hack i use is to use the Smart Keyboard to charge it). I have apple care, so I *could* just get it repaired, but, you know, what fun is that?

Yet over at The Other Place most are laser-focused on the pencil propaganda, and ranting about "an event just for a pencil...?"

I wonder if we might get a Mac or two? An M3 Ultra would be nice.

No M3 Ultra, straight to monolithic M4 Ultra, and then an older rumor comes to mind; "no Extreme until M5", so WWDC 2025 for the M5 Extreme...?!?

Guess I have to wait another year for the M5 Extreme Mac Pro Cube...! ;^p

I guess a new iPad Mini isn't going to happen. :(

A surprise entry into the iPad Pro line-up, the iPad mini Pro...?

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Apple rarely makes decisions based on worrying about cannibalizing other products - they’d rather cannibalize their stuff than let others do so.

No, pretty sure the problem is they actually think iPadOS is just fine, and that we all enjoy struggling to arrange windows where we want them and not having virtual memory support so that desktop-class apps won’t show up.
The problem is that they are stuck trying to provide a device that is both the ultimate portable content consumption device for everyone with a trivially simple operating system (that has increased productivity over the iPhone mainly due to its screen size) and a true touch screen capable Mac replacement. The issue is that it’s a cursed design problem, you can’t actually be both simultaneously. The solution is to split the OS design - iPad minis and Airs stay with effectively iOS with quality of life improvements for the larger screen and pencil support while iPad Pros get a true multitasking iPad OS.

I dunno that’s my idea anyway. Maybe I’m wrong and there is a way to combine both and Apple’s search for it will bear fruit. But I admit that if it’s there then I’m not imaginative enough to see it.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the rumor about iPadOS when solo, and macOS when connected to a keyboard, monitor, and pointing device...?
Has never gone anywhere as far as I can tell but of course I’m not inside Apple. Truthfully, it is a touch kludgy to dramatically change the UI for a single device based on what’s plugged in. Then again I’ll also admit that a unified good touch screen and good mouse UI likewise seems like a cursed problem so maybe changing the UI situationally is the best solution but then again maybe it’s not as cursed as the simple vs multitasking OS? I dunno.

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
I personally like both iOS and Mac OS. I always wondered if Apple could provide an experience similar to Samsung Dex on Galaxy S24 Ultra devices. I played with one and thought it was really cool! I'm likely in the minority but I'd love an iphone that could boot into Mac OS when tethered to a USB thunderbolt monitor. Or an iPad that also could boot into a true Mac OS when the magic keyboard was used etc...

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
iPadOS 16 introduced virtual memory support, no?

In any case, after the Stage Manager fiasco (on top of a decade of switching the multi-window UX every couple years) I think they're aware that their windowing experience is not ideal. Hopefully they'll set Stage Manger on fire and release something more macOS-like soon, but I'm not holding my breath. It took 5 years for Apple to ditch the butterfly keyboard

Top Bottom
1 2