Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
First benchmark for M4 NPU?
3.9 Ghz P-cores.
View attachment 29302

Hmmm, it says iOS 18. Suspect.
Yeah most of it looks reasonable but while I don’t think GB differentiates between iOS and iPadOS, it shouldn’t be iOS 18 yet … right? With the M4 so early I’m suddenly doubting everything! 🙃

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
My Mini is on iPadOS 17.4.1 – it could make sense that the M4 is different enough from earlier SoCs that Apple feels warranted in using 18 as the designation. Or, the reporting model was running a beta OS.
Possible but odd since the iPads are going to customers now, will presumably be on iPadOS 17 and iOS 18 betas aren’t supposed to start for another month but yes, possible, since I’m sure internally Apple has them. Typically you might see this in the fall when the new iPhone/Mac launches with the new OS.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yes - I know that there are technologies built into modern OLED tv's like slight pixel shifting, dimming of logos etc... to reduce the impact of burn in. However OLED at larger screen sizes also comes with other trade offs like issues with VRR and dimming after extended periods of time (e.g. watching a sports game). I'm interested to know if Apple solved these issues.
I don't think they've fully "solved" these issues, but it seems obvious that the point of the dual-layer OLED display is to permit the brightness levels Apple likes in a HDR display without rapidly burning out the OLEDs. With two layers they can run each layer at about half brightness (optimistically, the back layer might suffer a bit from transmitting through the front). This should greatly improve lifespan, especially when viewing non-HDR content.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I have so many questions after today's announcement - mainly about the OLED screen itself. I've flip flopped back and forth on whether I like the idea of an OLED screen for a tablet/laptop sized device when the risk of burn-in is constantly in the back of my mind.
I feel the same way about the Studio Display :( I know LCDs shouldn't have burn-in issues, but as the owner of a LG UltraFine 4K with noticeable burn-in issues, well, I still haven't pulled the trigger on a display with the same panel for $2k. I was waiting for Apple to release a new display, but there's not even rumors of it. In fact, despite the $6k Pro Display XDR, Apple called the iPad Pro's display the most advanced display from Apple.

I suspect that its a case of if you're using the GPU for ML, then you can't use it for graphics at the same time...
You can use both at the same time, but performance is obviously degraded. In fact (not sure if this has changed) if the system is idle, even CoreML workloads that could run in the Neural Engine run in the GPU instead by default. It's a bit weird that there's no developer API to directly use the Neural Engine.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
It is remarkable how thin the new iPad Pro's are: 5.3 mm and 5.1 mm for the 11" and 13", respectively. Marques Brownlee said these are the thinnest devices (not merely the the thinnest iPads) Apple has ever made, and I think he may be right, since that's even thinner than a 7th Gen iPod nano, which I believe was the previous record holder. I.e., this device:

1715161364799.png

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
It is remarkable how thin the new iPad Pro's are: 5.3 mm and 5.1 mm for the 11" and 13", respectively. Marques Brownlee said these are the thinnest devices (not merely the the thinnest iPads) Apple has ever made, and I think he may be right, since that's even thinner than a 7th Gen iPod nano, which I believe was the previous record holder. I.e., this device:

View attachment 29307

MKB didn’t come up with that. They specifically said it in the presentation, including the comparison to nano.

But the apple stickers are even thinner! Too bad they aren’t including them in the box going forward, though.

Top Bottom
1 2