Texas

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder what Texas lawmakers and Utility CEOs and lobbyists had for dinner at their fancy steakhouse outing where they broke bread around the table, sipping wine and discussing how they can charge customers more and line their pockets while wiggling out of any type of responsibility?

Up next - a bill allowing taxpayer-funded flights to Cancun for state lawmakers and officials in inclement weather, it has the full endorsement of Senator Cruz.

Come on, Texas. What average, working-class Republican does this free pass for utility companies help, in any way?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
This should be the lead story on every news site in the country. Abbott’s cruelty knows no bounds.

I agree. While I feel for the family of the deceased, if we didn't basically have an open border this might not have happened in the first place.

So yes, let's put video of the thousands of people crossing our border every day and see how well it plays.

I mean in NYC a HS has been taken over to be used as a migrant shelter so the kids are fully remote.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree. While I feel for the family of the deceased, if we didn't basically have an open border this might not have happened in the first place.

So yes, let's put video of the thousands of people crossing our border every day and see how well it plays.

I mean in NYC a HS has been taken over to be used as a migrant shelter so the kids are fully remote.
what open border exactly? we keep hearing this but Biden is deporting people like crazy? open as in no wall? you do know patrols are actually up right?

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
what open border exactly? we keep hearing this but Biden is deporting people like crazy? open as in no wall? you do know patrols are actually up right?

“Open border” = non-whites coming to the country legally.

You may get Herdfan to give a decent argument - the border is a concern, yes - but when you hear conservative lawmakers talk, it’s not about preventing the drownings. It’s not about stopping totally illegal, undocumented people from coming in - it’s about “poisoning the blood of the country” or “changing our culture”. They talk about democrats “importing voters”. You have to be legal to vote, so clearly the problem is immigration in general, not illegal immigration.

How many Republican arguments are truly rooted in managing the influx of migrants in a humane and legal fashion? A system that lets good folks in through a controlled process and deals in other ways with the bad? The closest they’ll get is when they mention fentanyl or weapons - but only to bolster their derision of immigrants in general, not the actual criminals coming over the border.

In other words, on the whole, “open border” is just a way to neatly package and sell white replacement theory. It all boils to down to people wanting this nation to be - or incorrectly thinking that it already is, to paraphrase Lincoln, “of the white Christian, by the white Christian, for the white Christian”.

This underlying rationale comes through in so many of their arguments and policies.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn’t see this posted elsewhere.

Texas National Guard prevented Federal agents from assisting three migrants, a mother and two children, from drowning in the Rio Grande.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/14/texas-three-migrants-drown-us-border-patrol

This should be the lead story on every news site in the country. Abbott’s cruelty knows no bounds.
When I first saw that story, my initial reaction was please, let Texas just secede and put themselves out of our misery. But as with so many other issues, most of the people living there are neither in favor of what Abbott is doing, or secession. Abbott should be sent to The Hague.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Imagine the conditions at home that would prompt a mother to attempt to cross a river with her children, let alone face untold hardships along the way. And put yourself in their place as they drowned, drawing their last breaths. They may not have known their plight was seen by others, but what was going through the minds of the Texas National Guard who prevented a rescue attempt? They are no better than Nazi death camp guards. But I guess it doesn't matter when immigrants are vermin, not human beings. After all, we don't think twice about putting down poison to kill cockroaches, huh?

This is no different than the other forms of cruelty propagated by the Right who support Trump and his ilk. It's evident in their usurping of womens' right to control their own bodies, even if that means some pregnancies will end with serious physical and psychological harm or death to the woman. It's the cruelty that manifests when Abbott and DeSantis bus migrants to cities, knowing they have little or no protection against the elements. And it's the cruelty that Trump manifests at rallies when he mocks disabled people or encourages violence against his opponents.

Trump famously called attention to what he termed "s-hole countries." I'd say the U.S. is at least as deserving of that characerization given where we are now. And yet Republicans pledge their support in lock step, as Marco Rubio did the other day.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I first saw that story, my initial reaction was please, let Texas just secede and put themselves out of our misery. But as with so many other issues, most of the people living there are neither in favor of what Abbott is doing, or secession. Abbott should be sent to The Hague.

In what world is abortion - not mentioned in the Bible - so condemned, but allowing actual children to drown in a river within eyesight in the name of teaching border crossers a lesson is permissible?

I‘m not religious, but I do wonder how religious people give themselves the authority to dictate what healthcare others can or cannot receive, but somehow turn off that faith and religion when it comes to their jobs. As a soldier of god, I’ll do all I can do abolish abortion, but hey, this is a civilized society and we need our borders, so if a toddler or two needs to drown in the name of our blood not being poisoned, that may be necessary? I don’t get that. Surely someone against abortion enough to spend their time controlling the bodies of others would be outraged at the thought of adults watching kids drown.

Apparently, secure the border and save the kids are mutually exclusive concepts in the great state of Texas.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Ticks all the boxes of a racist, MAGA asshole. Every single one of them, most before I even got through the first two paragraphs. Didn't make it to the third one before he brought up mask mandates.

America does not require "conformity", you shallow twat. The hairstyles are as "conforming" to their culture as his white, balding combover is to a white American man. This is every bit as absurd as forcing him to get extensions to "conform".

F*** YOU. 🖕

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ticks all the boxes of a racist, MAGA asshole. Every single one of them, most before I even got through the first two paragraphs. Didn't make it to the third one before he brought up mask mandates.

America does not require "conformity", you shallow twat. The hairstyles are as "conforming" to their culture as his white, balding combover is to a white American man. This is every bit as absurd as forcing him to get extensions to "conform".

F*** YOU. 🖕

I'm surprised it didn't include "Know your place, boy."

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score

F*** YOU. 🖕
Not every balding combover white American man is bad. Just saying... :whistle:

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the wake of the Supreme Court decision on the federal government being allowed to remove razor wire barriers at the border in Texas, the usual lunatics are drumming up the calls for taking up arms against the government. Totally unhinged lunatics padding their bank accounts while playing on the emotions of brainwashed, mentally and emotionally unstable cult followers.

Again, the cognitive dissonance it takes if you even consider taking a nitwit like Tucker Carlson as some sort of authority on masculine and tough behavior. Why doesn’t he get off of Elon’s flabby pale tits and lead the charge?

IMG_1050.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
There’s an estimated 1 million undocumented workers in Texas. Of that an estimated 400k are in construction, roughly half the construction workforce. That’s a lot of employers perfectly happy with the situation. Seems like if you can make it through the border gauntlet then you’ll have no problems finding a job. How much effort is Texas putting into cracking down on this? I guess it doesn’t make good performative footage for the news cameras so why bother. How about wrapping these job creators in balls of razor wire?

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There’s an estimated 1 million undocumented workers in Texas. Of that an estimated 400k are in construction, roughly half the construction workforce. That’s a lot of employers perfectly happy with the situation. Seems like if you can make it through the border gauntlet then you’ll have no problems finding a job. How much effort is Texas putting into cracking down on this? I guess it doesn’t make good performative footage for the news cameras so why bother. How about wrapping these job creators in balls of razor wire?

Greg Abbot says he wants to keep the razor wire and buoys in place because the federal government isn't doing anything about the border.

Joe Biden and democrats have given republicans - by their own admission - the best deal they will get on the border even if Trump comes back into the white house. The federal government requires congress to vote. Who is holding up border security and funding in congress right now? The Trump MAGA crowd. All democrats and probably 2/3 of republicans or more would vote for a deal that is ready to be signed right now. But if MTG and Boebert and Biggs and the like don't obstruct funding for the government, then they can't go around whining that nothing is getting done.

So yeah, arsonists screaming fire.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Greg Abbot says he wants to keep the razor wire and buoys in place because the federal government isn't doing anything about the border.

Joe Biden and democrats have given republicans - by their own admission - the best deal they will get on the border even if Trump comes back into the white house. The federal government requires congress to vote. Who is holding up border security and funding in congress right now? The Trump MAGA crowd. All democrats and probably 2/3 of republicans or more would vote for a deal that is ready to be signed right now. But if MTG and Boebert and Biggs and the like don't obstruct funding for the government, then they can't go around whining that nothing is getting done.

So yeah, arsonists screaming fire.

More than one Republican representative has said the quiet part out loud that their only job up to the election is making Biden look bad which includes blocking any legislation that could improve things. On a related note - the crime, homelessness (at least visually), and eye sore situations have greatly improved in CA cities (I didn’t say eradicated) but I have full faith that rightwing media will continue to run old footage and stories or run out and find the ever decreasing pockets of challenges to preach that nothing has changed.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
More than one Republican representative has said the quiet part out loud that their only job up to the election is making Biden look bad which includes blocking any legislation that could improve things. On a related note - the crime, homelessness (at least visually), and eye sore situations have greatly improved in CA cities (I didn’t say eradicated) but I have full faith that rightwing media will continue to run old footage and stories or run out and find the ever decreasing pockets of challenges to preach that nothing has changed.

Look at websites of small town newspapers. Look at your local affiliate's website and look at the rural crime.

It's a deflection. That there may be validity in some of what they say (broken clock theory) doesn't change the fact they don't really care about these problems or want to fix them. There is a LOT of domestic violence, murder, and rampant drug use in small communities, including red cities in red towns. When you look at per capita numbers, they have no business talking.

Top Bottom
1 2