Ban pitts

dukebound85

Power User
Reaction score
Any dog can turn vicious. It's not breed specific.
yet pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they're responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982, according to research

sort of a poor argument you are advancing...

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Pit bulls aren't even a defined breed, so your argument is equally (if not more) poor.

Are pit bull terriers more aggressive than other dog breeds? source

Multiple controlled studies of dog aggression and dog bites have found that this just isn’t true.[7] For example:

• A 2008 study published in Applied Animal Behavior Science, the journal of the International Society for Applied Ethology, determined that “…it is inappropriate to make predictions about a given dog’s propensity for aggressive behavior based solely on its breed.”[8]
  • A study of Golden Retrievers versus targeted dog breeds found that Golden Retrievers showed aggression at the same rate.[9]
  • And the AVMA Literature Review stated, “Given that breed is a poor sole predictor of aggressiveness and pit bull-type dogs are not implicated in controlled studies it is difficult to support the targeting of this breed as a basis for dog bite prevention.”[10]

Most DBRFs were characterized by coincident, preventable factors; breed was not one of these.

Golden retrievers are found to be statistically no different than other dogs for agressive behavior, and no breed-specific legislature is appropriate.

The website www.dogsbite.org says pit bulls contributed to 65 percent of fatal dog attacks in the last 12 years. But the news only covers the worst cases. In fact, there is no stat that captures all bites, by all dog breeds.

In the category of a dog's aggression against other dogs, pit bulls score high. The breed measures about the same as a Chihuahua but below the Akita.
Another loose dog Ray sees a lot is the Chihuahua. And in that same research report, Chihuahua scores really high on aggression towards people. Pit bulls are in the middle of the pack.
But, while Chihuahua's have been known to do some damage, it's pit bulls we're worried about. The perception persists that they are a highly aggressive dog.
“Completely wrong for that breed,” Jessica Lockhart is saying. “They are actually very sociable and very affable breed. They are a very friendly breed,” she says. source

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not a pet person, so I come at the dog subject pretty objectively, but I’ve been aware of many friendly “pit bulls” over the years. I only put that I quotes since I’m not aware of this defined breed argument. I feel confident that a dog raised in a good environment will be generally safe.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
The worst breed is the chow. They are like a time bomb, ready to go off when you least expect it.
I think technically chihuahuas are the most vicious, but they are so small that they don't do a lot of damage compared to a large breed.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
As an owner of one until he passed at the age of 13 I can offer my thoughts on this, it can be a great family dog but you have to understand what it's capable of. As a responsible owner I never let it out off leash, never let it be around small children and understood he "could" have a natural propensity to attack if not fully supervised.

In the right environment they can be goofy, gullible, super sensitive and only eager to please you, this is what makes them so compliant with those who raise them to be violent. However, in our household he only ever knew a loving family and he was endlessly patient and tolerant.

This is a terribly sad story, one we've heard of over and over and no matter how many times I hear it you can almost always look back at the owner and ask WTF they were thinking. What's key here are dogs (plural) , they're very much pack animals and feed off of each other so if one gets violent the other will as well and they feed off it.

IMO the bottom line is if you can't handle the breed and all the responsibility it takes to own one then you have absolutely no business doing so. Even under the best conditions I would never think it's a good idea to have small children around a pair of them.

A few years back in a friends neighborhood something similar happened, two pitbulls attacked a pregnant women killing both her and the unborn child. The father later buried the pitbulls alongside the woman and the two dogs, all very disturbing.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’ve seen vicious pits on chains, but I’ve never met one that wasn’t super sweet and loving.
And so sensitive, we also have a miniature dachshund and we have to be stern with her or she'll walk all over us, she really couldn't care less if she's pissing you off and is so stubborn but we had to be really careful with our pitbull Bo (RIP) because he would pout and get his feeling hurt easily. Plus the other dogs were sort of bullies and even though Bo could've pummelled their pint sized asses into next week he just took it all the time, patience like you wouldn't believe, we had to basically tell the others to knock it off when they played too rough.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Any dog can turn vicious. It's not breed specific.

Our neighbors across the street had 2 dogs when they moved in. A Pit and a Weimaraner. After they had their second child they had to get rid of the Weimaraner because it bared it's teeth at one of the girls. The Pit was their buddy for 6-7 years until they had to put him down due to age.

So yeah.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I walk my 65 pound lab/collie mix three miles every day. She is super friendly. But the dogs that are the worst to meet along the way are almost always the small dogs. By category, their owners don't put any time into training, because they can just yank them away. People with big dogs work with their pups to enforce good behavior. (Yes, this is a generalization.)

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I walk my 65 pound lab/collie mix three miles every day. She is super friendly. But the dogs that are the worst to meet along the way are almost always the small dogs. By category, their owners don't put any time into training, because they can just yank them away. People with big dogs work with their pups to enforce good behavior. (Yes, this is a generalization.)
Just had one of those tiny dogs bark at me like crazy and trying to get to me, while the dude holding the leash just kept walking, dragging the ferociously lunging dog backwards without even telling it “No!”.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My mother worked in my brother’s dog shop for years. Now when she goes on her daily walk she will routinely stop to pet pits, Pyrenees, Great Danes, etc. She goes to the other side of the sidewalk when passing small dogs, cause the only time she was ever bitten at work was by a chihuahua.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I remember the hysteria over dobermans in the 70s. It's all about the upbringing, or lack of control of the owners. I've seen German Shepherds and Dobermans inflict damage due to poor handling. And I've known pit owners that have never had an incident.

One of my former co-workers has worked for a vet and has raised pit rescues for more than a dozen years. Never an incident, including a couple of former fighting dogs. If anything, the pits are big, cuddly babies. A couple are very timid and easy going.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My mother worked in my brother’s dog shop for years. Now when she goes on her daily walk she will routinely stop to pet pits, Pyrenees, Great Danes, etc. She goes to the other side of the sidewalk when passing small dogs, cause the only time she was ever bitten at work was by a chihuahua.
those barking rats can get crazy.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Not really picking a side here, but just amused of how you sound like a 2nd amendment supporter with your counters.
well, not intended, but probably more true with dogs than with guns. people know to be wary of dogs (or they should know)....any animal can turn....but we have more faith in humans, although unfortunately often misplaced.

Top Bottom
1 2