Booze. Wine, Beer, Spirits, 'Nuf said

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Stocking stuffers from the wife. She’s actively supporting my alcoholism and I appreciate it. I may have to have a dry January, with exemption for a whiskey flask whilst skiing.
5ED13E91-D36D-4F66-8B4C-AB8B91182D94.jpeg
01F3B6C9-2F23-4874-90AB-9050EE07A00F.jpeg
85A4946F-13A4-42EF-BA17-ECE074AFBE36.jpeg

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Trappistes Rochefort 6, a classic from Belgium.
Love Belgian beer and might have to give this one a go. I went to Bruges in 2012 after booing it drunk it’s friends on a night out. Woke up the next day and we realised we’d booked a Eurostar and accommodation which turned out to be really good lol. Spent 3 days seeing the sights and sampling many of the beers. One day I plan on going back as it’s one of my favourite places.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Love Belgian beer and might have to give this one a go. I went to Bruges in 2012 after booing it drunk it’s friends on a night out. Woke up the next day and we realised we’d booked a Eurostar and accommodation which turned out to be really good lol. Spent 3 days seeing the sights and sampling many of the beers. One day I plan on going back as it’s one of my favourite places.

I love Bruges.

On a trip a few years ago, just off one of the city central medieval squares, I found a pub, (as you do) and was offered what seemed a veritable telephone directory which was a menu which described the beers they had available; moreover, the food was superlative, - I enjoyed an incredibly good beef stew - and they even had delicious bread which they had made with beer.

And the history, and the culture....

Sigh.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I love Bruges.

On a trip a few years ago, just off one of the city central medieval squares, I found a pub, (as you do) and was offered what seemed a veritable telephone directory which was a menu which described the beers they had available; moreover, the food was superlative, - I enjoyed an incredibly good beef stew - and they even had delicious bread which they had made with beer.

And the history, and the culture....

Sigh.

I had a very similar experience with finding an almost secret pub/tavern off the main square too. I wonder if it was the same one?? It was called ‘De Garre’ and it’s the only place in Belgium that sells one particular beer. My cousin texted me while I was there to tell me about it.
d2100041cc45c69acf11af494dca3646.jpg

c7a9c997b672239e4b70f0de4f5168d6.jpg
a0b9edd2a0a0152bbe32001294c97a24.jpg

It was hidden down an alleyway next to a Christmas decoration shop and you had to squeeze past a load of bicycles to get to it. Wonderful place!!!

(Not my pics btw)

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I had a very similar experience with finding an almost secret pub/tavern off the main square too. I wonder if it was the same one?? It was called ‘De Garre’ and it’s the only place in Belgium that sells one particular beer. My cousin texted me while I was there to tell me about it.
d2100041cc45c69acf11af494dca3646.jpg

c7a9c997b672239e4b70f0de4f5168d6.jpg
a0b9edd2a0a0152bbe32001294c97a24.jpg

It was hidden down an alleyway next to a Christmas decoration shop and you had to squeeze past a load of bicycles to get to it. Wonderful place!!!

(Not my pics btw)

Sigh. Yum.

How utterly civilised is that?

Proper patters of salamis and cheeses and gherkins and mustards - and that is just the snacks - with what I can assure you would have been the most amazing rye breads (and French style breads, for those who desired this delight), and astounding - and lengthy - lists of incredible beers.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sigh. Yum.

How utterly civilised is that?

Proper patters of salamis and cheeses and gherkins and mustards - and that is just the snacks - with what I can assure you would have been the most amazing rye breads (and French style breads, for those who desired this delight), and astounding - and lengthy - lists of incredible beers.

Those beers are 13% too and only come in those small goblets. After a day wandering around the city finding all the locations for the film ‘In Bruges’ we were quite disappointed they didn’t serve pints. Our disappointment quickly disappeared when the kick arrived lol. I love the fact throughout Bruges you can sample hundreds of beers all with their own bespoke style glass. I remember drinking one which had a double wooden handle and was a blonde wheat ale.

Obviously Belgium is famous for its chocolates and the Flemish seem to have a keen interest in chocolates shaped like body parts which you probably noticed whilst there lol. Another strange an quirky aspect of our foreign neighbours.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Those beers are 13% too and only come in those small goblets. After a day wandering around the city finding all the locations for the film ‘In Bruges’ we were quite disappointed they didn’t serve pints. Our disappointment quickly disappeared when the kick arrived lol. I love the fact throughout Bruges you can sample hundreds of beers all with their own bespoke style glass. I remember drinking one which had a double wooden handle and was a blonde wheat ale.

Obviously Belgium is famous for its chocolates and the Flemish seem to have a keen interest in chocolates shaped like body parts which you probably noticed whilst there lol. Another strange an quirky aspect of our foreign neighbours.

Oh, yes, the individual beer glasses (chalices, goblets) are just gorgeous; all of those pubs/bars also serve superb coffee, and, of course, usually very good food, as well. And superb chips (fries), everywhere.

No, they don't serve pints, but - the beer is so good and so strong, so robust and highly alcoholic - that, candidly, they don't need to serve pints.

And this is a country where you can sit quietly and sip two, or absolute max three, or even, one beer, all evening, rather than swallow round after round, something which (initially) stunned friends of mine from university (who admitted to culture shock), and who had started working with the EU after they had graduated, a few decades ago.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Drinking something I’m given every year and takes me a couple of hours to drink lol.
682d91c61b4f43759f9113324cd5e9e0.jpg

How was that? I almost picked up a 4-pack more than once (~12oz bottles). First at ABC, then later at the beer cave, the latter I should've just scored a couple of bottles since they let you break up packs, but the place started getting crowded and I ran for it ...

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
How was that? I almost picked up a 4-pack more than once (~12oz bottles). First at ABC, then later at the beer cave, the latter I should've just scored a couple of bottles since they let you break up packs, but the place started getting crowded and I ran for it ...
It’s strong at 10% and a dark ale. Takes me over an hour to drink it lol.

Top Bottom
1 2