come on apple.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
even before it was light everything was wet from the fog and dripping. temp was right and if yo asked Siri it would say dense fog but the app nope. Now it says mostly sunny and thats right.

IMG_1083.PNG
IMG_1084.jpeg

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Still, it is pretty bad. For instance, if I ask Siri where I live, it knows. Yet when I ask it either of these...

1669336853558.png

1669336947909.png

...and that's in spite of this:

1669336447778.png

To actually get it to give me the local temperature, I need to turn off my VPN, and turn on my WiFi (I use wired ethernet), which defeats the whole point of using Siri instead of just looking it up myself (ease of use).

Attachments

• 1669336936585.png
    1669336936585.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1669336945252.png
    1669336945252.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Still, it is pretty bad. For instance, if I ask Siri where I live, it knows. Yet when I ask it either of these...
my wife cant get Siri to know her home address and none of the DUMB balls knows her voice anymore. all the settings are right. the thing is the location was right and if I asked siry=I she told me it was foggy and there was a fog advisory. two different weathers going on.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
well my wife's Apple Watch will just stop making sounds. well she is blind and that means is just a decoration. I did a new watch rest helped a couple of days then it started again. but I found a reboot will get the sound back. but the problem is without VoiceOver she cant turn the watch off. this explains why I don't always get notifications on my watch. often I cant hear it but I don't get any vibrations either. was thinking of getting her a new watch until al little research and its a bit thats been going on since at least January.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score

View attachment 19633

View attachment 19636

...and that's in spite of this:

View attachment 19631

To actually get it to give me the local temperature, I need to turn off my VPN, and turn on my WiFi (I use wired ethernet), which defeats the whole point of using Siri instead of just looking it up myself (ease of use).
Umm. What version of iOS are you running? 16.2 beta here (iPhone 13 mini).

Both of these as well as what temperature is it in here (I have an Eve room) as well as what temperature is it outside. Outside and both of these (correctly) provide the same info from the weather app.

I would delete your contact card and create a new one - then make sure it shows as "me" in contacts. I know - stupid, but sometimes your local DB gets messed up.

It's just like how sometimes your iCloud settings get fucked up and you have to sign out of iCloud on ALL of your devices to fix it. Glad I haven't had to do that in a couple of years!!!

Race conditions suck!!! :D

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
temp is ok but when airy and the water displayed don't agree with each other then thats an issue. we have fog right now it just says cloudy.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, it's not just Apple. The Weather Network says Port Moody is overcast right now. It's been pouring buckets for HOURS!!
the weather network is pretty accurate here. supposedly apple uses dark sky's but it does not match that either.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have several they are all more accurate right now than apple. at least on the conditions. the temp is fine.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
There are numerous weather apps that work with Apple Watch. If one is more accurate for your region, you can install it. You can program the watch to use a custom phrase to access that app instead of Apple’s included weather app. It takes a little work though. Instructions are here:

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Umm. What version of iOS are you running? 16.2 beta here (iPhone 13 mini).

Both of these as well as what temperature is it in here (I have an Eve room) as well as what temperature is it outside. Outside and both of these (correctly) provide the same info from the weather app.

I would delete your contact card and create a new one - then make sure it shows as "me" in contacts. I know - stupid, but sometimes your local DB gets messed up.

It's just like how sometimes your iCloud settings get fucked up and you have to sign out of iCloud on ALL of your devices to fix it. Glad I haven't had to do that in a couple of years!!!

Race conditions suck!!! :D
I'm not using iOS. This is from Siri on MacOS Monterey, v. 12.6.1, on a 2019 iMac.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
what I cant figure out dark sky was great to tell you when it is going to start and stop raining and apple bought them out for those features but I sure Neve saw it in the apple weather app. now dark sky is going away. well accuweather works pretty well.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
I mean, that's just the nature of Location Services on Mac. Macs don't have cellular radios or GPS, the two best ways iPhones have of locating themselves. Without those information sources, LS falls back on deriving your physical location from the computer's current internet connection.

WiFi is best because there are databases of geolocated WiFi base stations. Once you connect to a WiFi network, LS can use its unique ID to look up roughly where the computer must be.

If you're on wired ethernet, LS has to infer your location by tracing the routes packets take to get to and from your computer. When you use a VPN, a huge chunk of this routing path is obscured and LS can't do its job properly. That is, after all, why you're using a VPN - you want to make it look like your computer's somewhere it's not.

(I hope that's why you're using VPN, anyways. If you're using VPN because you think it makes your computer more secure, I have bad news - you fell for the snake oil VPN service providers like to peddle.)

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
I mean, that's just the nature of Location Services on Mac. Macs don't have cellular radios or GPS, the two best ways iPhones have of locating themselves. Without those information sources, LS falls back on deriving your physical location from the computer's current internet connection.

WiFi is best because there are databases of geolocated WiFi base stations. Once you connect to a WiFi network, LS can use its unique ID to look up roughly where the computer must be.

If you're on wired ethernet, LS has to infer your location by tracing the routes packets take to get to and from your computer. When you use a VPN, a huge chunk of this routing path is obscured and LS can't do its job properly. That is, after all, why you're using a VPN - you want to make it look like your computer's somewhere it's not.

(I hope that's why you're using VPN, anyways. If you're using VPN because you think it makes your computer more secure, I have bad news - you fell for the snake oil VPN service providers like to peddle.)
Yes, that's the nature of Location Services, but Siri already has the info. it needs, and thus shouldn't require Location Services.

As I explained, if I ask it my home address, it knows, even without Location Services (VPN on & WiFi off). And if I ask it the weather at [insert street address of my home here], it also knows. Yet if it I ask it "What is the weather at my home address?" (with WiFi off & VPN on), it has no idea. The issue is thus that Siri's algoithm lacks the sophistication to connect those two pieces of information: my home address (which it knows) and the weather at my home address (which it also knows).

And here's what seems to be an even more puzzling example of its reliance on Location Services. Perhaps you can convince me otherwise, but this appears to be a bizarre blindspot in Siri's design. In spite of the weight I've gained during COVID, I don't think my location affects the distance between these two cities ;):

1669669936001.png

And nope, I'm not using VPN for either of the reasons you mention. It's my employer's VPN, and I'm using it simply because I need to be on it to access systems at work.

Last edited:

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
what I cant figure out dark sky was great to tell you when it is going to start and stop raining and apple bought them out for those features but I sure Neve saw it in the apple weather app. now dark sky is going away. well accuweather works pretty well.

Other than rain notifications, I think everything else has been rolled into the app as of iOS 16? (EDIT: even the notifications are there, interesting)

Don't even need to connect, those databases are good enough use trilateration to get your position based on the relative signal strength of the broadcasted SSIDs near you. So long as you have nearby stations cached, you don't even need a network connection. Not sure if macOS does the same sort of caching of this database that iOS does though.

View attachment 19697

And nope, I'm not using VPN for either of the reasons you mention. It's my employer's VPN, and I'm using it simply because I need to be on it to access systems at work.

Yeah, very clearly it seems to associate "query about a location" with "location services are required", rather than differentiating between "query about a location" and "query about my location".

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I'm super bummed Dark Sky is about to be sunsetted. I knew it was its death knoll when Apple bought the app. It usually is. But I have loved Dark Sky since it's inception. It's reliable which has been wildly helpful for planning film shoots.

Supposedly, Apple will incorporate Dark Sky's features (or already has) into Apple's weather app. But what I've seen, just isn't the same. What other weather apps that have Dark Sky's features do peops here have to recommend?

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm super bummed Dark Sky is about to be sunsetted. I knew it was its death knoll when Apple bought the app. It usually is. But I have loved Dark Sky since it's inception. It's reliable which has been wildly helpful for planning film shoots.

Supposedly, Apple will incorporate Dark Sky's features (or already has) into Apple's weather app. But what I've seen, just isn't the same. What other weather apps that have Dark Sky's features do peops here have to reccomend?
yep I have not seen anything of it in the apple weather app. I am using accuweather and you have to pay for it. but everytime it update the widgets stop working. not sure if its that app or a apple issue/.

Top Bottom
1 2