Conservative Hate on Instagram

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
You do know that Malls across America are closing, right? They have been abandoned, turned into homeless shelters, and even apartments. You can thank Amazon Prime, Walmart +, and every other convenient way for Americans to shop online.

I know its more than a "Mall" as well. I have been down in that area which does border on the Tenderloin district. I think the downturn in that area the article is talking about, it a multifaceted issue like a lot of other shrinking Urban areas. Look at the population of St. Louis from the 50s to today as another example of a major city with shrinking population.

Point being, its not just SF, but that plays well with the MAGA crowd.

I remember articles from a decade ago talking about how malls across America are dead or dying. It really doesn't take much now and it's been fairly well established at this point that retail execs are using crime as a deflection from their poor management decisions and failure to innovate and adapt.

As a consumer I can tell you even when a brick and mortor retailer goes online or expands online I'm still going to go with Amazon most of the time. About the only time I'll use a local store app is to check if something is physically in stock. If not, I'm ordering from Amazon...and probably for cheaper. Wrongly or rightly, I don't associate buying from a major retailer online as supporting local business. Want my business, increase your local inventory availability. Home Depot is notorious for having a massive selection of things online you can't buy in their stores. I would go there and buy if they had them.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
To be fair he is the MAGA crowd and he couldn't be doing a better job of making my point... "but look at this article, I've heard this, I've read that" while never having spent any real time here. Would never jump into a post praising it, only stop in to shit on it and then walk off.

Have I personally been there? No.

But my daughter has. She visited a friend from college who lives a few blocks from the wharf and when they were planning the trip, he told her not to bring her car because it would most likely get broken into.

So when someone who lives there, and he grew up there, tells her not to bring her car, then how are you supposed to think about this?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I remember articles from a decade ago talking about how malls across America are dead or dying. It really doesn't take much now and it's been fairly well established at this point that retail execs are using crime as a deflection from their poor management decisions and failure to innovate and adapt.

Where I used to live there were two malls built with 2 years of each other. One is a downtown mall, the Charleston Town Center and the other a more suburban mall, the Huntington Mall.

One is doing fine and is at 90+% occupancy, the other looks like a ghost town and one of the old anchor stores (Macy's) is going to be converted into an aquatics center.

The one downtown is the one dying because of crime. People simply won't go. You can blame it on poor management, but when the same store thrives in one location, but can't survive in another it is something else.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Have I personally been there? No.

But my daughter has. She visited a friend from college who lives a few blocks from the wharf and when they were planning the trip, he told her not to bring her car because it would most likely get broken into.

So when someone who lives there, and he grew up there, tells her not to bring her car, then how are you supposed to think about this?
Common sense in the downtown area of any city, seriously, what rock have you been living under? THIS is what you base your city experiences on? Oh yeah man, totally qualifies you to bag on those of us who have actually grew up in these areas.

How about if I made this ignorant claim about where you grew up... I heard if you walk past a trailer park in rurual bumfuck you'll get butt raped by a guy with a banjo, my second cousin (also my fiance) told me it happened to a friend of hers.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Common sense in the downtown area of any city, seriously, what rock have you been living under? THIS is what you base your city experiences on? Oh yeah man, totally qualifies you to bag on those of us who have actually grew up in these areas.

How about if I made this ignorant claim about where you grew up... I heard if you walk past a trailer park in rurual bumfuck you'll get butt raped by a guy with a banjo, my second cousin (also my fiance) told me it happened to a friend of hers.
Not to mention the traffic in downtown SF. I have been there a handful of times, and I wouldn't bring a car just for the sheer frustration of the traffic. No I'd rather try my hand taxi's and Uber, let them deal with the traffic. Same goes for downtown Manhattan and Chicago.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Not to mention the traffic in downtown SF. I have been there a handful of times, and I wouldn't bring a car just for the sheer frustration of the traffic. No I'd rather try my hand taxi's and Uber, let them deal with the traffic. Same goes for downtown Manhattan and Chicago.
It can be brutal, or it can be beautiful depending on your vantage point. I shoot a lot of videos of it.

Last edited:

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I remember one trip where I had to take an Uber from Berkley to Union Square. I extended a work trip for some Vacation and loved it. The transfer was ok until we got to downtown around 3 PM on a Friday. Let's just say I am glad I did, because I closed my eyes for the last 5 miles and rested for an hour. My Bostonian would have come out if I was driving and lots and lots of cursing.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
It’s not like the left wing doesn’t have there own obsession with bashing the right. Hell, the day after Trump was elected I got on the subway and the train car was plastered with dozens of signs that said “FUCK TRUMP” on 8.5x11 paper. There’s certainly plenty to criticize the right for and Trump in particular, but there was a level of obsession over Trump I have never seen before.

During COVID the left was also obsessed with bashing Florida and DeSantis at every opportunity. In retrospect, FL’s COVID outcomes were basically on average with the rest of the country but in the context of massive elderly population, keeping kids in school, and having better economic outcomes than most. Desantis was famously accused of colluding with a pharmacy chain on vaccines- the story that really brought him to prominence. The media ran with the accusations of a crazy woman who accused FL of manipulating COVID data. Etc.

I think the fact of the matter is that the combination of politics and social media is extremely toxic and is one of the top contributors to our current hyper partisan state. It can create echo chambers of ideas founded on bad information while algorithms can encourage disagreement and conflict. Many people get their news from social media. Biased media routinely uses misleading headlines knowing most people won’t read past the first paragraph, if it all.

I don’t think social media should be manipulating content and searches either to keep someone in an echo chamber or stir up negativity. If anything, I think political content should just be massively deprioritized, at least by default, Regardless of what side it’s coming from.

I think we also need to develop a cultural standard where how you interact online with others should be no different than how you would in real life.

I haven’t used a social media site like Facebook in over 12 years. I’m not opposed to social media, but I don’t think it is healthy for people, especially kids, as it is currently implemented. In general it just breeds a pathology of caring too much about what others think.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I think we also need to develop a cultural standard where how you interact online with others should be no different than how you would in real life.

Good luck with that. Half of Congress is ok with stealing elections, and you can say that no matter which side of the stolen election claims you fall on. We’re doing well to keep our democracy at this point.

I’d love to see the day when online civility is a thing, but I’m doubtful.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
It’s not like the left wing doesn’t have there own obsession with bashing the right. Hell, the day after Trump was elected I got on the subway and the train car was plastered with dozens of signs that said “FUCK TRUMP” on 8.5x11 paper. There’s certainly plenty to criticize the right for and Trump in particular, but there was a level of obsession over Trump I have never seen before.

During COVID the left was also obsessed with bashing Florida and DeSantis at every opportunity. In retrospect, FL’s COVID outcomes were basically on average with the rest of the country but in the context of massive elderly population, keeping kids in school, and having better economic outcomes than most. Desantis was famously accused of colluding with a pharmacy chain on vaccines- the story that really brought him to prominence. The media ran with the accusations of a crazy woman who accused FL of manipulating COVID data. Etc.

I think the fact of the matter is that the combination of politics and social media is extremely toxic and is one of the top contributors to our current hyper partisan state. It can create echo chambers of ideas founded on bad information while algorithms can encourage disagreement and conflict. Many people get their news from social media. Biased media routinely uses misleading headlines knowing most people won’t read past the first paragraph, if it all.

I don’t think social media should be manipulating content and searches either to keep someone in an echo chamber or stir up negativity. If anything, I think political content should just be massively deprioritized, at least by default, Regardless of what side it’s coming from.

I haven’t used a social media site like Facebook in over 12 years. I’m not opposed to social media, but I don’t think it is healthy for people, especially kids, as it is currently implemented. In general it just breeds a pathology of caring too much about what others think.

I think this story is far more complex than the two opposing narratives.

Indeed Walgreens and CVS did over extend themselves with their retail stores and closures were planned.

Theft was not the only reason Walgreens closed stores, but is certainly a contributing factor.

Obviously any retailer is going to close stores that are not profitable- or if they’re forced to close stores they will likely close those that are less profitable.

In CA you have a confluence of issues- 1) #1 Walgreens had too many stores and has not been doing well financially- they do not have the integrated monopoly CVS has (CVS stores, Caremark PBM + mail order pharmacy, Aetna insurance- all under one roof given them massive negotiating power)

2) Retail theft is at an all time high and this undoubtedly cuts into profits. Walmart has brought its concerns over a year ago and is now closing stores citing theft. Walmart as a whole has been doing better than ever from the pandemic.There is a reason why the last CVS I went into in downtown Boston had ice cream behind a locked door and Target has socks and underwear in locked cases. And some stores, including Walgreens are investing in building stores with basically having all their product behind a counter.

3) Safety- Stores and Pharmacies especially do not want to operate in high crime areas. SF has a lot of crime lately. Pharmacy robberies are up- for example 620% in NY. Pharmacists do not want to work in areas that are unsafe

4) Employment- CVS and WAG have treated their employees, pharmacy staff in particular, like trash despite paying well. That’s finally come to a head with pharmacist strikes and many leaving their job. Pharmacy hours have been cut dramatically. You may notice pharmacists now get lunch breaks. I was in a CT CVS that’s pharmacy was now closed on Sunday. You may also notice things are much slower. There is a huge pharmacist shortage at the moment and pharmacies are struggling with staffing. There’s a huge turnover of pharmacy technicians and maintaining competent techs is always a problem. And they’re definitely going to have trouble staffing stores in areas with high crime. I’ve known pharmacists paid more to work in dangerous areas- effectively hazard pay.

5) Insurance reimbursement- Rx. reimbursement rates continue to be whittled away by the PBMs. This is compounded in Low-income areas where most patients are on Medicaid. Some medications will actually lose the pharmacy money. Private insurance reimbursement is bad enough, but Medicaid pays pennies on the dollar. Meanwhile PBMs have been found to pocket 6x what the pharmacy makes. You can’t survive as a pharmacy on Medicaid reimbursement alone.

6) Costs, Taxes, Laws- SF especially, is notoriously expensive. High rent, high taxes. CA is also not exactly the friendliest state towards businesses. Insurance costs more in higher crime areas. And if you don’t have laws to prosecute those that steal from you… that’s a problem.

I suspect for Walgreens the theft issue had pushed things over the edge.

Boston has had problems with pharmacies closing in low income areas resulting in “pharmacy deserts”. Activists of course have claimed “racism”. It’s not, it’s business. These companies have repeatedly demonstrated they will put finances above providing healthcare at every turn. But this exactly is what happens when the government allows two companies to destroy the independent pharmacy market.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score

MAGA MAGA MAGA!!!!

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
No thank you.

To be clear not I’m fond of either of those people, they are both toxic personalities. I am merely pointing out how the present day adversarial relationship goes both ways.
I looked at you with a tear in my eye, and I said “sir, but sir, you are the most independent of all my independent friends…”

Then I realized one tear was not enough, this was an ugly cry admonition and admiration…

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
No thank you.

To be clear not I’m fond of either of those people, they are both toxic personalities. I am merely pointing out how the present day adversarial relationship goes both ways.
I agree, it wreaks of MAGA. Trump being convicted of sexual misconduct and looking at 91 (actual, not political) felonies is not the same as a Democrat having a policy position you hate. It's not the same as Taylor swift flying in a jet. It's just not the same, and when you guys say "both sides are equally as toxic" it's disingenuous and insulting.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I think the fact of the matter is that the combination of politics and social media is extremely toxic and is one of the top contributors to our current hyper partisan state.

The biggest contributor to that is the enterprise aspect of it. The algorithms are not specifically tailored to foment discord but are intended to keep you on the particular site (e.g., the way one can sometimes fall into a black hole of, say, YT, and, is it Thursday, already?. The discord simply becomes a side-effect of that. The 'net does not have to be structured this way: it is not the cause of the problem, just a facilitator.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I agree, it wreaks of MAGA. Trump being convicted of sexual misconduct and looking at 91 (actual, not political) felonies is not the same as a Democrat having a policy position you hate. It's not the same as Taylor swift flying in a jet. It's just not the same, and when you guys say "both sides are equally as toxic" it's disingenuous and insulting.

To be clear, that sentence is referring to “both” as Trump and DeSantis, who last I checked is a Republican. I think my position on Trump is pretty clear, he should have been impeached and should no be re-elected, and should not have been elected in the first place. I’m sorry I didn’t include this clown’s entire resume of wrong doings. Someone with the history of allegations sexual misconduct (and now legally recognized) of Trump is clearly not someone worthy of leading our country.

The sad this is that the left’s obsession about Trump about the inane has only made him more powerful. It fuels the idea among his supporters he is a victim, which increases their passion. When every thing he says or does is met with a hysterical reaction, his serious misdeeds- sex crimes, possible insurrection or at the least election interference and fraud are diminished.

It baffles me that people find it so hard to believe actual independents can exist despite actually representing the majority of the country. I can only think the internet has conditioned people into this binary way of thinking. Those on the left think I’m a Republican, those on right think I’m a Democrat. And there is always a conspiratorial cohort who think I’m some sort of political double agent- on one side pretending to be on the other. The names Bond, James Bond… and I’m here to infiltrate the left to sway the opinion of 7 people.

I generally support the idea of lower taxes and maintaining a robust military. I believe we must support Ukraine’s defense against Russia. I support supporting Israel but believe Palestine should be it’s own state once free from terrorist leadership.I believe abortion “safe, legal, and rare”- women should have easily accessible abortion services while also being provided other forms of contraception at no cost- which should also extend to planB. I disagree with a single universal healthcare system (mostly because it’s pretty unfeasible at this point without collapsing the system) but believe we need a massive overhaul of healthcare to promote affordability. Everyone should have access to affordable healthcare and programs to provide healthcare to those who cannot. Access to mental healthcare must be addressed. Drug use should be mostly decriminalized and the legal system should focus on treatment. We need a secure boarder but also need to expand and streamline legal immigration, immigrants here for a better life are a benefit to the country. “Dreamers”’deserve a pathway to citizenship. Corporations have too much power. We need to take care of the environment, Climate change is real but most mitigation plans make no sense. We should be expanding nuclear energy, especially with the expectation of increasing EV adoption which I support but is far from being practical for everyone.

Which side am I on?

I would never associate myself with the R or D’s- how these two parties operate is disgraceful. Both seem to have the idea the ends justify the means. In some cases sacrificing the rights or interests of their own supporters. Between the two, there is zero integrity.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

To be clear, that sentence is referring to “both” as Trump and DeSantis, who last I checked is a Republican. I think my position on Trump is pretty clear, he should have been impeached and should no be re-elected, and should not have been elected in the first place. I’m sorry I didn’t include this clown’s entire resume of wrong doings. Someone with the history of allegations sexual misconduct (and now legally recognized) of Trump is clearly not someone worthy of leading our country.

The sad this is that the left’s obsession about Trump about the inane has only made him more powerful. It fuels the idea among his supporters he is a victim, which increases their passion. When every thing he says or does is met with a hysterical reaction, his serious misdeeds- sex crimes, possible insurrection or at the least election interference and fraud are diminished.

It baffles me that people find it so hard to believe actual independents can exist despite actually representing the majority of the country. I can only think the internet has conditioned people into this binary way of thinking. Those on the left think I’m a Republican, those on right think I’m a Democrat. And there is always a conspiratorial cohort who think I’m some sort of political double agent- on one side pretending to be on the other. The names Bond, James Bond… and I’m here to infiltrate the left to sway the opinion of 7 people.

I generally support the idea of lower taxes and maintaining a robust military. I believe we must support Ukraine’s defense against Russia. I support supporting Israel but believe Palestine should be it’s own state once free from terrorist leadership.I believe abortion “safe, legal, and rare”- women should have easily accessible abortion services while also being provided other forms of contraception at no cost- which should also extend to planB. I disagree with a single universal healthcare system (mostly because it’s pretty unfeasible at this point without collapsing the system) but believe we need a massive overhaul of healthcare to promote affordability. Everyone should have access to affordable healthcare and programs to provide healthcare to those who cannot. Access to mental healthcare must be addressed. Drug use should be mostly decriminalized and the legal system should focus on treatment. We need a secure boarder but also need to expand and streamline legal immigration, immigrants here for a better life are a benefit to the country. “Dreamers”’deserve a pathway to citizenship. Corporations have too much power. We need to take care of the environment, Climate change is real but most mitigation plans make no sense. We should be expanding nuclear energy, especially with the expectation of increasing EV adoption which I support but is far from being practical for everyone.

Which side am I on?

I would never associate myself with the R or D’s- how these two parties operate is disgraceful. Both seem to have the idea the ends justify the means. In some cases sacrificing the rights or interests of their own supporters. Between the two, there is zero integrity.

What I often get in response is some round about “lesser of two evils” argument, which is really just a way of rationalizing a bad choice. Instead perhaps maybe we actually demand more from who we chose as candidates and those presently serving.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Jaywalking and murder.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
It baffles me that people find it so hard to believe actual independents can exist despite actually representing the majority of the country.

By the numbers, "Independents" (which more precisely means not-D&not-R, because many of them are 3rd-partisan) currently represent around 40%, which is not, strictly a majority. R+D works out to around 55% which, together, makes a slight majority. 20 years ago, R+D was more like 70%, so their numbers have been in steady decline, but until the two major parties drop under 20% each, we will not see meaningful movement away from where we are.

I can only think the internet has conditioned people into this binary way of thinking.

No, it is not the internet. Binary thinking has been pretty well entrenched for about 40-some years. Before Reagan really started pushing hard on it, things were getting done, there was aisle-crossing and compromise, but decent behavior and collaboration has decayed into you vs me, and it started well before we became dependent on this thingy. The internet does, yes, facilitate the line in the sand, but it is definitely not the cause.

Top Bottom
1 2