COVID Stupid

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Historical Note:

Nevertheless, after weighing the odds, Washington informed Congress on Feb. 5, 1777, of his plans for a mass inoculation. The general's plans contraindicated a 1776 proclamation by the Continental Congress prohibiting inoculations.

Question: Any thoughts on chances of moderation if I was to post this in the MRs Community Forum, COVID Informational thread? Would this be considered political, and poking the bear? :unsure:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
At least hydroxychorquine and ivermectin are legitimately used to treat something, though they are useless against COVID-19. But this example illustrates how gullible and stupid people can be, shelling out more than $100 for dirt:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/magic-...ics-weirdest-mlm-rcna6950?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma
This all boils down to a perception of mindless hate and rejection of liberalism, with the basis of selfishness and intolerance as the motivator. It has gotten so bad that with any idea that is framed as having liberal or progressive roots, there is zero thought applied, the idea is rejected and hate is applied.

This is such a threat to our future success as a country (and the planet) I hope more of the stupid ones bite it, then maybe we’ll have a chance at weathering the Stupid Tsunami. This is not me wishing ill will on those who would destroy us, those who have handicapped thinking, or lack of intelligence, it is me rooting for us to have a fighting chance of making it through this, for the US to still have a democracy on the other end and in the bigger picture for the human species to continue to be successful, not destroy ourselves and the planet.

I’ll note that these comments are U.S. centric, but I feel that humanity around the globe must smarten up pretty quickly or we are in for a bad time. We will prove or disprove we are the right caretakers for planet Earth. It’s just that in the US for the last 50 years the rise of stupid is so pronounced, I think I have good reason to be fearful for our future prospects. :unsure:

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
hrd0giwb6c381.jpg

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

A man bragged he was 'gonna be rich' off fake coronavirus vaccine cards, prosecutors say. Then he got charged.​

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

I always thought if something really bad happened, we'd all be fine. All the smart scientist types would step up and save the world. And they have.

I NEVER predicted members of our own government would do all they could to fight the scientists trying to save the world.

It sounds like a really bad B movie. Or, I guess it sounds like a documentary about evil scientists trying to control the human population. Depends on which side you take in this. And there's another thing I never predicted. That some humans would happily follow the politicians, not the scientists.

It's a crazy world!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I always thought if something really bad happened, we'd all be fine. All the smart scientist types would step up and save the world. And they have.

I NEVER predicted members of our own government would do all they could to fight the scientists trying to save the world.

It sounds like a really bad B movie. Or, I guess it sounds like a documentary about evil scientists trying to control the human population. Depends on which side you take in this. And there's another thing I never predicted. That some humans would happily follow the politicians, not the scientists.

It's a crazy world!
We can accomplish just about anything with science, engineering, etc.

But there’s something that still holds back humanity.

You can’t fix stupid.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
We can accomplish just about anything with science, engineering, etc.​

But there’s something that still holds back humanity.

You can’t fix stupid.

I can almost forgive stupid, especially because some "stupidity" can indeed be fixed via things as simple as better nutrition and some basic factual education relevant to any given issue. I mean we were not born seeking fake news. Our stomachs crave real food and our brains are wired for learning real things.

But out here on the info highway, we tend to see only the most inane, insane and publicity-seeking versions of "stupid" on social media (and replays of that, thanks to traditional media outlets who do know better but succumb to get-the-clicks pressure).

And I grant you, that sort of stupid is hard to fix because it's quite entertaining, and we're all on track to entertaining ourselves to death while the sun prepares to fry us anyway.

But in the meantime? I don't forgive the rafts of right wingers who have realized they don't have to legislate against federal government, they can just become part of it and then work to weaken it from within, at least partly by making it clear by example that it's a big joke and/or irrelevant and incompetent.

And I also don't forgive those who seem to regard all government as either entirely optional or simply obnoxious because it's inconvenient in some personal way.

There's a soft underbelly in the USA, and it's based in part on the fact that a lot of us have never had to live in a state of anarchy, never had to acquire or carry something to bribe people with on the simplest trip to market, school, or job, usually don't worry about food safety (although in the past 20 years that's become a larger concern thanks to deregulation), never had to walk miles to fetch drinking water as a daily routine...

I'm not talking about life in the grittier parts of our neglected urban or rural areas, I'm talking about life in the suburbs, where about 55-60% of us live nowadays. In short, our elective stupidity and our selectively amnesiac mockery of government are a luxury of living in a place where government still works. There are traffic lights, grocery stores, water and sewer lines, electric and gas utilities, the internetz.... and, guess what: voting booths, yeah.

And it's so annoying when homeless people camp on the roadside or even worse get on the bus on some day when our car is in the shop, geez. There should be a law, right? For those people...

And all these softnesses of experience are not invisible to enemies of this country. It's silly to presume those enemies do not have armies of both cybertrolls and real pieces of work also joining in the clamor against the inconveniences of our government...

... yeah, government by consent of the governed, with its messy, so complex ways of trying to sort out things democratically, when things could be made perfect in a wave of the hand if we just had a strong man up top and ditched Congress and those internal courts and the godblasted media. A strongman like each one of us might imagine individually, molded to our singular expectations.

The erstwhile or still bamboozled followers of Trump and his merry "anti-establishment" advocates should get a grip and realize into whose hands they are playing. It's not the hands of a small-d democrat, that's for sure.

I say we tell all those folks this, and right to their faces :

"Hey if you want a fascist government, pull up stakes here and go look for it somewhere else. This is the USA. Messily under same old management of a sturdy Constitution guaranteed to keep things pretty messy under rule of law affecting us all. Get over it."​

Some of the followers of the Trump-era charade-and-circus artists in Congress are pathetic in their yearning for things to be made simple and also to be kept entertaining. I mean life in a government by informed consent can be eye-glazing for sure.

But together, those seeking simplicity and those seeking to impose it do create a real danger for the rest of us because they'll eventually settle on a leader more charismatic than Trump, far more politically savvy and connected to more of the levers of power behind federal policy regardless of who wins elections.

We don't know who that future charismatic leader is yet. He could be of any or of no poltiical party. Maybe he doesn't even know who he is yet. But he's waiting in the wings and in the meantime thanks to four years of a Donald Trump administration, whoever that person is already has sycophantic, malleable acolytes in the Congress, in agencies of the administration, in the military, in the judiciary.

Any strongman will do when someone dreams only of latching onto a singular share of power. That's where "so much winning: has managed to take us. We stopped asking exactly what we're winning. That kind of stupid CAN BE FIXED.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

While I can't agree with the ignorance she spouted, it's nice to finally see someone not just stand there making themselves look dumber and dumber with each word that comes out of their mouth. She's not nearly as funny as the dumber people, but she has enough working brains cells to know when she's being mocked. Half a point for knowing when to just walk away.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
You mean like owning a place called Shooters Grill in a town named Rifle where staff is encouraged to openly wear firearms and then running for Congress and winning?

-Rep Lauren Boebert

I'd pass on that script. It sounds ridiculous.

If I time traveled back 10 years and tried to tell my younger self all the crazy stuff that is headed his way, the younger me would think he's going to lose his marbles at some point in the coming decade.

Top Bottom
1 2