Edinburgh City Scape

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure I am allowed to pass this off as a cityscape but I was in Edinburgh 2 days ago to meet an old work boss who was in town for a wedding. Edinburgh was looking wonderful and full of Springtime with clear skies, lovely sunlight and for a change, no wind! So here is one of the castle for your enjoyment.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not sure I am allowed to pass this off as a cityscape but I was in Edinburgh 2 days ago to meet an old work boss who was in town for a wedding. Edinburgh was looking wonderful and full of Springtime with clear skies, lovely sunlight and for a change, no wind! So here is one of the castle for your enjoyment.

Lovely. Went there for the military tattoo for my dads 40th. That was a long time ago though.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was there to take some depositions a few years ago. Lovely place. Lovely people. Terrible cookies.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
L1010200.png

From my own trip to Edinburgh

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lovely. Went there for the military tattoo for my dads 40th. That was a long time ago though.
Excellent reason to visit. My wife had never been until I took her (she is Scottish). She was not looking forward to it until it started and after that she was sat in stunned silence the whole way through it. If anyone gets the chance to see it, do it, you will not regret it

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

On a trip to Edinburgh around twenty years ago, - for an academic conference - I took a few days before and after the conference to explore Edinburgh - I spent the best part of a day in the (many) museums of Edinburgh Castle; sigh.

Gorgeous city.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
On a trip to Edinburgh around twenty years ago, - for an academic conference - I took a few days before and after the conference to explore Edinburgh - I spent the best part of a day in the (many) museums of Edinburgh Castle; sigh.

Gorgeous city.
Edinburgh has a fantastic selection of galleries and museums for sure.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My greatest memory (besides the awful cookies - if a Scot you don’t know offers you cookies, say no thanks), was a pub that had stained glass windows inside, each of a different great historical engineer. My boss and I randomly walked in, as we were eager for beer.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
My greatest memory (besides the awful cookies - if a Scot you don’t know offers you cookies, say no thanks), was a pub that had stained glass windows inside, each of a different great historical engineer. My boss and I randomly walked in, as we were eager for beer.
I imagine that was Shortbread you were given rather than a Cookie cookie was it? Shortbread is like marmite. You either like it or you hate it. I find it too sweet.

I think I remember what pub you mean, I can picture it but I can’t remember what its called.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I imagine that was Shortbread you were given rather than a Cookie cookie was it? Shortbread is like marmite. You either like it or you hate it. I find it too sweet.

I think I remember what pub you mean, I can picture it but I can’t remember what its called.
Then cookie had some sort of gross jam in it. I don’t recall the name. They called it a biscuit of course.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Isn’t that a jammydodger?
Oh yeah that’s what the guy called it, I think. Some sort of mystery fruit in the filling. He was so proud of it. He was a court reporter we hired. Super nice guy. He spent a good five minutes teaching me how to pronounce the name of the city.

I also remember on that trip that the customs guy was trying to ask me “business or personal?” And for the life of me I couldn’t understand a word he was saying because of the accent. I can speak three languages but I can’t understand English in many parts of the UK. My boss laughed at me.

I did love the city. Want to go back with my family some time and spend more time there.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Edinburgh has a fantastic selection of galleries and museums for sure.
Agreed.

Incredible atmospheric and very interesting.

I loved it.

Personally, I love shortbread, it is one of my favourite biscuits: In common with butterscotch, Parma ham, salted caramel, and indeed satay sauce - it is that exquisite and addictive combination of sweet and salty flavours that I adore.

Sweet stuff by itself does little for me; I tend to prefer savoury, and sour (and hot, and salty) notes taking precedence in culinary and gustatory matters.

Top Bottom
1 2