Electric Vehicles: General topics

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
Nio also had folks rent/lease batteries separate from the vehicle.

I guess my view of FSD is different from you guys since I've had it for the past 3 years. It has gotten better (the city streets part) for sure. The NoA highway part has felt done since they "unified the stack". I'm still not excited about the automatic speed limit stuff though. The car tends to go slower than the flow of traffic.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Nio also had folks rent/lease batteries separate from the vehicle.

I guess my view of FSD is different from you guys since I've had it for the past 3 years. It has gotten better (the city streets part) for sure. The NoA highway part has felt done since they "unified the stack". I'm still not excited about the automatic speed limit stuff though. The car tends to go slower than the flow of traffic.
I tried it out for fun and it's very hit and miss. It got me to the freeway okay and then as I entered I was surrounded by semi trucks and it did a hard break in between them for no reason, so I just exited out. The other thing is it just goes too slow and follows too far from the vehicle in front of you.

My guess is if you can handle being driven around by a little old lady (confusion and all) then this is the feature for you. But nowhere near ready to keep up with the normal rigors of traffic, I would never pay for that.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I do that. Way too far. Sometimes the vehicle behind me wants to fill that space, just because, and sometimes I move up to prevent that ("pass me, pass that guy up there too"). Following too far back reduces a lot of my driving stress.
You and my wife. Yeah people will just fill that gap all day long and each time it forces the Tesla (with active CC) to back off even further. Cool if you don't mind I suppose.

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
You and my wife. Yeah people will just fill that gap all day long and each time it forces the Tesla (with active CC) to back off even further. Cool if you don't mind I suppose.
Yeah in pursuit of "feeling natural" the car can behave in a weird way based on how you drive. It tries yielding for merging traffic on highway now (well since v11), which is hit or miss. It also freaks out around Semi's.

I wonder how it will work out when the end to end NN is used for the highway stack as well.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah in pursuit of "feeling natural" the car can behave in a weird way based on how you drive. It tries yielding for merging traffic on highway now (well since v11), which is hit or miss. It also freaks out around Semi's.

I wonder how it will work out when the end to end NN is used for the highway stack as well.
Right, they have Wemo cars in San Francisco that are fully autonomous (it's odd to see them drive around without any drivers) and the passenger just hops into the back seat and it drives them wherever they want as they blissfully succumb to whatever the car wants to do. But when you're in control, have your hands and feet engaged while watching the road that you're less inclined to just hand it all over when you can just do it yourself without the frustration of how the car handles itself and the surrounding traffic.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Nope. I came close though. But it looks like some good candidates are coming to market soon.
My next care will still be an EV but it won't be a Tesla, I've been keeping my eye out as well as I get closer to paying it off.

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
Nope. I came close though. But it looks like some good candidates are coming to market soon.
Nice, weren't you looking at the BMW line before?
My next care will still be an EV but it won't be a Tesla, I've been keeping my eye out as well as I get closer to paying it off.
I'm not sure who I would go with as my replacement. I like the helpfulness of the ADAS, and so far there aren't any straight replacements. I also feel like I want more performance and with my sedan preference that makes things difficult for me.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice, weren't you looking at the BMW line before?

I was. Sirt of a mishmash there - some of them are not designed from the ground-up as electric, and have compromises (like insufficient interior space). Some are nice. I’ll probably go cheaper next time, though, I think. Honestly, it just amuses me every time I use Elon’s superchargers for free or I get a text message or phone call from Tesla begging me to buy a new car, and my tesla is still chugging along, so I’ll probably wait until the battery dies or something.

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
I was. Sirt of a mishmash there - some of them are not designed from the ground-up as electric, and have compromises (like insufficient interior space). Some are nice. I’ll probably go cheaper next time, though, I think. Honestly, it just amuses me every time I use Elon’s superchargers for free or I get a text message or phone call from Tesla begging me to buy a new car, and my tesla is still chugging along, so I’ll probably wait until the battery dies or something.
that is fair. I wonder if the perception of Tesla would improve if Elon were to leave.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
that is fair. I wonder if the perception of Tesla would improve if Elon were to leave.
Well, even aside from not having to fund a nazi, it would probably result in improvements to the car (like putting back the turn signal and gear shifter stalks).

Having had a new model S as a loaner for a week a couple months back, i can honestly say the only improvement in the new models over my 2013 is range and some silly apps in the center console. Everything about driving the car was worse. FSD made driving worse, because I still had to pay full attention and keep my hands on the wheel and foot covering the brake, but now I had to anticipate what the car might do, which takes away from allowable reaction time. Too stressful. Hell, the new ones even charge at half the speed in my garage (my tesla can charge at 80A. The loaner was around 40A.)

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well, even aside from not having to fund a nazi, it would probably result in improvements to the car (like putting back the turn signal and gear shifter stalks).

Having had a new model S as a loaner for a week a couple months back, i can honestly say the only improvement in the new models over my 2013 is range and some silly apps in the center console. Everything about driving the car was worse. FSD made driving worse, because I still had to pay full attention and keep my hands on the wheel and foot covering the brake, but now I had to anticipate what the car might do, which takes away from allowable reaction time. Too stressful. Hell, the new ones even charge at half the speed in my garage (my tesla can charge at 80A. The loaner was around 40A.)
Even if FSD was hands off would you trust it?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Even if FSD was hands off would you trust it?
No, because it tried to kill me several times in my testing. It’s hands-on because it needs to be hands-on.

If they came out with a hands-off version that was proven to be safe, that would be a different story. But I’d never take Elon’s word for it if he says it’s safe. The fact that it relies entirely on what appears to be monocular vision, with no radars, suggests to me that it will never be safe.

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
No, because it tried to kill me several times in my testing. It’s hands-on because it needs to be hands-on.

If they came out with a hands-off version that was proven to be safe, that would be a different story. But I’d never take Elon’s word for it if he says it’s safe. The fact that it relies entirely on what appears to be monocular vision, with no radars, suggests to me that it will never be safe.
I think of the two hands off system Supercruise is the only one to not have rear ended stopped vehicles in it's lane.

cbum

Power User
Reaction score
My son got a second hand Hyundai Ionic 4 ~ 5 years ago, and it has aged very well.
We just got a second hand Ionic 5 (range up to 360mi), and it's very pleasant to drive.
I get hives every time I see a T...

Top Bottom
1 2