Electric Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Recently stumbled onto that site, what a monster! Also uses Xenforo.

Yeah, @quagmire and I are both over there, and the recently invited @diamond.g is too :) Nice site, lots of a great technical info, and it's shocking the difference in, umm, let's say "social perspective" it is vs. my old Mustang site (and the old Corvette site I used to frequent is a fucking dumpster fire ...)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I also learned that my car is Intel and not the new AMD, then I looked up the difference to see what all the hubbub was about and the infotainment system is not something I really care about, waiting 20 extra few seconds for my movie to load? I mean really, who gives a shit. But you can see this is the sort of thing that some will demand as a "must have", sort of like they do with an extra camera lens on the iPhone or something.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I also learned that my car is Intel and not the new AMD, then I looked up the difference to see what all the hubbub was about and the infotainment system is not something I really care about, waiting 20 extra few seconds for my movie to load? I mean really, who gives a shit. But you can see this is the sort of thing that some will demand as a "must have", sort of like they do with an extra camera lens on the iPhone or something.

Yeah, as I understand it, most of the performance difference is for the media/entertainment functions, the main car operation, nav, UI, etc., doesn't benefit that much.

When the latest OS required a new MCU (MCU2), they actually made it available to owners with MCU1 (that was pre-Model 3). I'm assuming it's just as modular for MCU2 Model 3s, so if it's a real game changer at any point, you can upgrade (for a "small fee" hahaha :D)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@AG_PhamD @cloudflare420

Since you asked, I figured I'd just post here ... :)

Where I wound up is a funny path. I started converting lawn gear over to battery stuff, initially just a Greenwise blower (Dad's Day gift), then when I saw you could score other tools without the battery making them super inexpensive I was like OK, this makes even more sense, a single pack is easily shared. At some point I needed to mow, no gas, and I was thought, I'd just check out some other options - I hit up Woot.com and they had a Greenworks mower, two packs, another charger for about 60% off (new, free shipping). Got that, and it's glorious - no smell, much less noise, no fluids/mess, and with 3 packs and two chargers, everything can be run anytime. It makes sense.

The wife's DD/RT lease came up, we wanted to try something different, decided we: 1) didn't need 3 rows and 2) that we both always wanted a Wrangler. We wound up buying the lease out at the end and turning right around and selling it to Carvana, paid $30K, sold it for $41K, so that was a pretty sweet score. FWIW, the lease couldn't be bought out directly under 30 days of it ending, and in the time it took to buy it and get the title (~3 weeks) that price actually went up like $2000. :D

Anyway, the new 4xe Wrangler was just getting released (this was April '21), that as you may know was Jeep's new PHEV, I'm like OK, that's neat, 25-30 miles on battery only, 375HP / 470 ft-lbs TQ, plus all the regular Wrangler features like the removable roof, a killer 4WD. We get one of the first batch, it's discounted $2K, and we get the $7500 Fed Tax credit right up front against the lease! It winds up being $200/month lower than the DD/RT, same out of pocket and it's a $5K more expensive car. Since then the 4xe has gone up several thousand and discounts have pretty much dried up, so our timing was excellent.

The 120v/15a supplied charger is slow, so we get a LEFANEV 32A (N6-50), and in the same order I also pick up an N10-30 to N6-50 adapter cable. It works, we're not driving that much so shuffling between the dryer and charger is __OK__. The EVSE itself is decent, there's a ton of the same sort of price/class chargers that look like this. The cable is 18' so it doesn't reach if I back the Jeep in, so I start thinking about getting a different product, and about that same time start thinking about one with higher output, you know, in case we added another EV that could use more than 32a :)

We totally love it - and again, it makes so much sense. My original thought was start with a PHEV, but once I had a taste of fast home charging, and a month where we used 2 gallons of gas, my perspective starts to change.

Then I get a 50a circuit installed, replace the 32a charger with a killer unit made my Grizzl-E. It's a beefy product built in Canada, 24' cables, modular power/charge cable, all metal construction/all weather, WiFi/OCPP compatible. Now charging is ultra-simplified, no swapping outlets with the dryer, and now I'm also getting the full 32a (the dryer outlet only allowed for 24a).

The lights really go on in my head so to speak - once you get the difference in how you use/"fuel" an EV vs. an ICE, it's such a "Oh, now I get it" moment.

I install an electric hoist, the top comes off the Wrangler, hahaha, and pretty much stays off. So now we've got two "convertibles", the GT doesn't make a ton of sense as the "extra car". I start thinking about alternatives in terms of features: solid performance, roomy, and something that we could use for road trips or a quick trip in town when it's raining and putting the top back on the Wrangler isn't a quick process.

And I have a 40a charger right in the garage ...

And I'm completely digging on the EV concept ...

I make the decision: a Tesla.

I won't get into the decision process too much in this post, only that my desire for performance, an extensive charging network and tech - significant research - combined with lots of personal insight to the vehicles through owner friends - informed my choice.

I sell the GT convertible, also to Carvana - not the deal like the DD/RT, but the same I paid 2 years ago, so I guess driving for "free" wasn't bad - I also swapped back most of the aftermarket parts, sold them, easily broke even :)

On June 11, Friday, I place my order: Model 3 Performance, MSM exterior, white premium interior. Saturday I complete all the required paperwork, by Sunday my EDD is moved up weeks - by Monday I'm getting prompted to select a delivery date June 18 - June 21. Seriously, one week from order to 1st available pickup date. I wind up selecting June 20 since that a Sunday and Dad's Day, figured it would fun and semi-quiet for the drive home.

Ours was delivered pretty much perfect: solid paint, no defects, no issues, no janky panels, and zero operational issues. For that matter the 4xe has been pretty perfect too, we took it in for a recall check, no biggie, got all new firmware, no charge, dealer is < 10 miles away.

The Model 3 Performance is quiet, comfortable, roomy, has a spectacular audio system, killer electronics/remote/mobile systems, a stellar AWD system and outstanding visibility.

Best of all, it's super quick while also being inexpensive to operate and super convenient.

About a month after I owned it, I snuck over the test/training area (also where the local A/X runs), nobody around, so I flipped on Track Mode, allows for full F/R bias control, selected the pre-configured "drift", got the rear end loose a couple of times :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
No SiriusXM in the Tesla is a huge letdown. :(

Yeah, you can use the iOS app and stream it, but the silly thing is there's a native app in the Model S :confused: It's not sat direct, it's an app that uses the network based stream.

(Maybe they'll eventually enable it in the Model 3)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah, you can use the iOS app and stream it, but the silly thing is there's a native app in the Model S :confused: It's not sat direct, it's an app that uses the network based stream.

Is it just a matter of logistics and it not being satellite enabled, or just Elon Musk having a bad day?

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Is it just a matter of logistics and it nat being satellite enabled, or just Elon Musk having a bad day?

Maybe it's missing hardware, i.e., I might be wrong about the Model S, it might actually have the antenna. Still, just a native app (using the internet based stream) would be great for many, we've listened to XM in the house this way.

XM is odd, I sort of get the anti-Apple stance since they're possibly encroaching in the same space, but XM seems like nothing but a net positive.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Maybe it's missing hardware, i.e., I might be wrong about the Model S, it might actually have the antenna. Still, just a native app (using the internet based stream) would be great for many, we've listened to XM in the house this way.

XM is odd, I sort of get the anti-Apple stance since they're possibly encroaching in the same space, but XM seems like nothing but a net positive.
My model S definitely has actual sirius/xm hardware. (The software quality has gotten so bad, though, that there are days that the car thinks it is missing, and I have to call tesla to have them remotely reprovision my car).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My model S definitely has actual sirius/xm hardware. (The software quality has gotten so bad, though, that there are days that the car thinks it is missing, and I have to call tesla to have them remotely reprovision my car).

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I think I conflated the discussion about people wanting the M3 to get a streaming app so it could have "XM like the S", but the S has actual hardware like our Jeep. Heck, our last several vehicles have had XM (even though I generally don't sub in my car).

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score

Yeah this is what I've been doing. Plus the iOS app has a bunch of extra channels (if you have the correct plan)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
and selling it to Carvana,

I just want to say many thanks for turning me on to Carvana. Was able to sell my mom's old E550 for $1,820 more than I was going to ask locally. And it's done. No test drives or haggling or detailing it.

It really couldn't have been simpler. I owe you a beer for sure. :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I just want to say many thanks for turning me on to Carvana. Was able to sell my mom's old E550 for $1,820 more than I was going to ask locally. And it's done. No test drives or haggling or detailing it.

It really couldn't have been simpler. I owe you a beer for sure. :)
Same here, had no idea what my car would be worth until these guys pointed it out and I'm sure I wouldn't be in my Tesla today. So yeah, both @DT and @quagmire have been schooling us here. (y)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Heck, I had no idea either, I just happened into a thread on the Mustang board about the crazy offers and went from there :) Carvana makes it so easy, it's almost a little scary how little validation is needed before they transfer your funds. I mean, our vehicles were mint - the person doing the pickup boths times was like "Wow!" - but there's all sorts of mechanical things you could "hide".

The offer from Vroom for my GT (not the DD/RT) was ~$1500 higher, but I wasn't hip to their model, which is basically driving away with the car before the offer is finalized (and you having to go get it if you decline any adjustments).

Hahaha, the girl who picked up my GT was really into cars, and her dog's name - and her "dream car" - was Tesla :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Eric

Another neat thing with Tesla, the car has an API, so 3rd parties can develop software for it, that's how I have an Apple Watch app for it, through an app called Tessie (iOS/WatchOS). You can set up Siri automations with it, so I can use voice to do things like open the trunk.

The iPhone app has a really nice UI as well, does this beautiful viz of the weather as an animated background:

IMG_16DE2B56EE6C-1.jpg

Has tons of analytics, cost analysis, etc.

There's other services like TeslaScope, where they do incredibly extensive analysis, can plot usage metrics onto a calendar, etc., but it also lets your car contribute version information to the central DB, which is how some of these projections about software rollouts are determined:

1641224247389.png

1641224284537.png

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh and this is another great resource:

They track updates (both current and projected), and have a nice breakdown of the features/fixes for the release (both the car and the app).

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
People have been making some great light shows with the new feature.

And I got 44.30 yesterday, but once again the car won't connect to WiFi remotely.... Oh well.... Not like it is getting driven right now with me out of state training with my new employer.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
There's a whole site for this :)

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
There's a whole site for this :)

Sweet! One thing I haven't seen is if people with the matrix headlights have been able to do custom lettering projections or does it only allow the Tesla lettering. Seems like those who opted to do the lettering projection have kept it as Tesla.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Sweet! One thing I haven't seen is if people with the matrix headlights have been able to do custom lettering projections or does it only allow the Tesla lettering. Seems like those who opted to do the lettering projection have kept it as Tesla.

I don't see a way to set it specifically, either there's something in the xLights config that defines it (you load a model/channel definition file), or it's some kind of pre-defined Tesla firmware value. I'm not even 100% sure what the channel is called unless it's Channel 3 / SIGNATURE

1641249477551.png

This is a visual map to the light element for the channels:

3_headlights_projector.png

Top Bottom
1 2