Elon Musk - Tesla FSD price rising to $12k on Jan 17

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I know @quagmire brought this up in another reply but thought it was worth it's own thread. Personally, I can't justify this, especially for something in beta with no real release in site. Hoping the subscription model doesn't go up too much though, may still use that for trips.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1479590995595517958/

Agreed. In the month where i had a loaner with supposed FSD, it was something that actually made driving worse. If you turned it on you had to have your hands on the wheel and anticipate what the car might do so you were ready to overrule It. I hated it.

Divide 12k into how many years you think you’ll own the car. Then think of how many Uber rides you can get for that price - even better than FSD is somebody else to drive for you :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Agreed. In the month where i had a loaner with supposed FSD, it was something that actually made driving worse. If you turned it on you had to have your hands on the wheel and anticipate what the car might do so you were ready to overrule It. I hated it.

Divide 12k into how many years you think you’ll own the car. Then think of how many Uber rides you can get for that price - even better than FSD is somebody else to drive for you :)
Yeah, the need to have your hands on the wheel and feet on standby for the pedals in town makes it almost redundant. It works well on the highway but every video I've seen on it shows issues unless there is clearly defined roadways and signs, hardly seems worth paying extra for.

However, the bigger issue for me is paying that much money for software that is tethered only to the car and not the driver. It's like buying software that will only work in one computer and it's a terrible model, it's in all models and just switched on or off anyway. I think they have a lot to work out with this but I do like that I can subscribe if I choose when it's more ready for prime time.

U

User.45

Yeah, the need to have your hands on the wheel and feet on standby for the pedals in town makes it almost redundant. It works well on the highway but every video I've seen on it shows issues unless there is clearly defined roadways and signs, hardly seems worth paying extra for.

However, the bigger issue for me is paying that much money for software that is tethered only to the car and not the driver. It's like buying software that will only work in one computer and it's a terrible model, it's in all models and just switched on or off anyway. I think they have a lot to work out with this but I do like that I can subscribe if I choose when it's more ready for prime time.
@quagmire commented about this, and I agree with him. If this is a long-term license that passes on to your next car, it would keep people in the tesla "ecosystem" and would be worth it. OTOH other carmakers have systems as functional as Tesla's who charge way way less for these features.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
$12,000 for a software update? I guess there are people with more dollars than sense that will buy it.
Musk is shameless, as it is the car takes off like a bat out of hell and yet you still have this option to knock off half a second in your upgrades section. It's hard not to laugh at the balls on this guy but at the same time he knows how to milk people, they love giving him their money.

tesla-model-3-app-acceleration-boost-splash.jpg

U

User.45

Musk is shameless, as it is the car takes off like a bat out of hell and yet you still have this option to knock off half a second in your upgrades section. It's hard not to laugh at the balls on this guy but at the same time he knows how to milk people, they love giving him their money.

tesla-model-3-app-acceleration-boost-splash.jpg
On one end, it's nice to see continued product support, on the other, this is a joke.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm assuming the monthly will see the same 20% increase, or possibly even a little more to like $250

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
On one end, it's nice to see continued product support, on the other, this is a joke.
I don't have the budget for that sort of thing but I can imagine for those who are loaded it's fun to whimsically download your addon like a regular person would a cheap app on your iPhone.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
re: Acceleration Boost

I'll just repost what I already said about it:

It's an additional bit of performance for people who want it, and for people who don't - i.e., it's fast enough, and/or want the best range from the model, they can opt not to pay the extra. It also keeps the model variants down, otherwise, they'd need something like a Model 3 LR __and__ a Model 3 LR Type-R :D

It's no different than things like this from Ford:

1640971992215.png

It's an OEM, warranty backed performance update - Tesla just happens to be able to do it via an OTA update vs. bolting on parts and flashing the ECU via the OBD port.

U

User.45

I don't have the budget for that sort of thing but I can imagine for those who are loaded it's fun to whimsically download your addon like a regular person would a cheap app on your iPhone.
All I can say it's still chump change compared to daycare in the USA, LOL. A kid costs a loaded tesla annually.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
As @Cmaier said, that covers a lot of taxi rides.

Sure. It's a no interest for me, so I don't even care about the pricing. I bought ours with the assumption I'd never buy FSD, in fact, none of the automated driving tech from any manufacturer is on my radar, like you said, that's a taxi :D

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
re: Acceleration Boost

I'll just repost what I already said about it:

It's an additional bit of performance for people who want it, and for people who don't - i.e., it's fast enough, and/or want the best range from the model, they can opt not to pay the extra. It also keeps the model variants down, otherwise, they'd need something like a Model 3 LR __and__ a Model 3 LR Type-R :D

It's no different than things like this from Ford:

1640971992215.png

It's an OEM, warranty backed performance update - Tesla just happens to be able to do it via an OTA update vs. bolting on parts and flashing the ECU via the OBD port.
It's a nice way of justifying $2000 to flip a digital switch that already exists. ;)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's a nice way of justifying $2000 to flip a digital switch that already exists. ;)

Think about it the other way around, they could've made the LR come with that standard - and charged another $2000. :) There are a ton of people with LRs that say they have zero interest in a faster car, that eats tires quicker, reduces the range 20%, etc. I am all for OEM / warrantied performance updates that are totally optional, which is really all that is.

FWIW, if there's ever a Performance model paid update for faster performance, I'm there day one :D

U

User.45

Sure. It's a no interest for me, so I don't even care about the pricing. I bought ours with the assumption I'd never buy FSD, in fact, none of the automated driving tech from any manufacturer is on my radar, like you said, that's a taxi :D
In California doing a lot of locum tenens work in a 300 mile radius can be extremely lucrative if you're willing to drive 3-4H a day. So for someone doing that, $12K would be chump change and pay for itself in a week or two. But again the technology is not more relaxing than just choosing a simple route and turning advanced cruise control on with LKA.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
In California doing a lot of locum tenens work in a 300 mile radius can be extremely lucrative if you're willing to drive 3-4H a day. So for someone doing that, $12K would be chump change and pay for itself in a week or two. But again the technology is not more relaxing than just choosing a simple route and turning advanced cruise control on with LKA.
I'm definitely interested in the tech side of FSD and if it weren't in constant beta I might be more interested but it has way too many glitches for $10,00 (and now $12,000) it's just not worth that much money to me. Being on a budget I would've financed it in with the price of the car anyway, no way I have that sort of disposable cash to add on after.

However, the LKA/ACC that comes with this car is flat out awesome and works 99.999% of the time perfectly for me, worlds ahead of the 2020 BMW and that's where I can see the real world benefits of the self driving system.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's funny, I spent time working in CV, I've done a decent amount of ML work (mostly in the medical space), I've been in the tech sector professionally for, oh geez, let's say, a long time :D but I also come from kind of an old school perspective on driving, I'm OK with an occasional "keep the car in my lane", and while I've abandoned things like manual transmissions, I'll never not be in full driver mode 99% of the time.

I'm also not giving up my collection of 8-track tapes ...

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Yet, I remember a story about a car (Toyota I think it was) that refused to slow down on the highway, causing a crash (presumably because the driver did not understand what the "N" was for). The tech is still there, in the car, and I would be a bit leery of it branching into uninitialized code and causing your car to misbehave. Not activating the neat features might not be enough to protect you fr9m them.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yet, I remember a story about a car (Toyota I think it was) that refused to slow down on the highway, causing a crash (presumably because the driver did not understand what the "N" was for). The tech is still there, in the car, and I would be a bit leery of it branching into uninitialized code and causing your car to misbehave. Not activating the neat features might not be enough to protect you fr9m them.

That was caused by either the floor mats causing the pedal to get stuck or the gas pedal itself being sticky.

No fault in the software causing unintended acceleration. And every case accusing that their Tesla accelerated out of control have been proven bunk too.

Top Bottom
1 2